‘71 to ‘70 Chevelle Build - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

12Likes
  • 2 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 4 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 3 Post By 71350SS
  • 2 Post By Steve R
  • 1 Post By augy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

‘71 to ‘70 Chevelle Build

Hi all,

So there’s a junkyard just a few miles down the road from my place that’s got a 71 chevelle (I’m still waiting to hear back to see how much they’re asking), but it’s in rough shape... There’s no interior, it’s sitting on its drums (no tires or wheels), no motor or transmission. (Other than the chassis it’s pretty much just a shell...) The frame seems to be solid, but front drivers side frame horn has been cut right before the front suspension...

I know that from ‘68-‘72 all the two door a-body frames were interchangeable and I would love to build a ‘70 on the existing chassis if it’s possible. I hate to see such a work of art go to waste and I know that it wouldn’t be a cheap or easy endeavor. Would it be worth it to fabricate and weld a new horn onto the frame and dive into the project, or is it something something I should just let sit and go back to mother earth?

I guess you could say just too ambitious and naive, but I’d like to get some opinions from different points of views. Please feel free to ask any questions you have if I’ve missed any big things to look at on the car, and I’ll do my best to answer all of them.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: ‘71 to ‘70 Chevelle Build

Well Dave, there's no easy answer. But consider this: there are Real honest-to-goodness 1970 Chevelle SS396/SS454s out there that need restoration. If you sink all sorts of money into a clone you have a car you put $60,000.00 into that will sell for $30,000.00 when you're done with it.

Buy the best real SS that you can afford and then sink all sorts of money into it and you'll have sunk $60,000.00 into a car that's worth $50,000.00.

Crazy math, but true.
Dean and shovelrick like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Ď71 to Ď70 Chevelle Build

I would save pennies and eat Top Ramen until I had enough bread to get something with good bones.

It will be much easier to start with a good frame and build off of that. Trying to fabricate or even install an original frame part from another car would be a non starter for me. Too much relies on the frame to try to build upon one that isn't straight or complete. Can it be done, sure? It just isn't worth the headache or time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 2:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

if the doors and the roof are intact then you'll need around $520 for front fenders plus 180 for inners Hood is around 300 to 550 depending on what you want.Grill is 162 plus another 200 for shiny stuff too.Bumpers front and rear are 180 ea.these are off a well known suppliers web.A new wiring harness is 500 and a used chassis is 300 to 1200 depending on how lucky you are.At the top end of the scale you're at around $3500 to 4000 for just the front sheetmetal plus another $2000 (620-900-440) for quarters,floors and trunk pans and braces.
Depending on your scrounging skills for good used stuff you're at around $6K for most of the sheetmetal you need for this project.Now start kicking in for epoxy primers, paints,body fillers,hardware, welding supplies the list goes on.
Now lets figure out that empty inside ?
SO how bad do you want to repair this car ? and how far will your repair skills take you ? if all you have is a rusted up shell to start with ?
It's not all bad I think you could do it for less than $20K unless you have to farm out most of the cars repairs,if thats the case .....
Dean, Steve R and shovelrick like this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 3:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Itís almost always a good idea to start with the best car you can afford. A cheap entry price usually means a more expensive finished product.

Steve R
Dean and shovelrick like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 8:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Welcome Dave, to Team Chevelle.....

All excellent advice above. Unless you are extremely strapped for cash and can do ALL the restoration work yourself, I'd pass on a junkyard body that has already been stripped. Does it even have a title?
Steve R likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello1012 View Post
Hi all,

So thereís a junkyard just a few miles down the road from my place thatís got a 71 chevelle (Iím still waiting to hear back to see how much theyíre asking), but itís in rough shape... Thereís no interior, itís sitting on its drums (no tires or wheels), no motor or transmission. (Other than the chassis itís pretty much just a shell...) The frame seems to be solid, but front drivers side frame horn has been cut right before the front suspension...

I know that from Ď68-Ď72 all the two door a-body frames were interchangeable and I would love to build a Ď70 on the existing chassis if itís possible. I hate to see such a work of art go to waste and I know that it wouldnít be a cheap or easy endeavor. Would it be worth it to fabricate and weld a new horn onto the frame and dive into the project, or is it something something I should just let sit and go back to mother earth?

I guess you could say just too ambitious and naive, but Iíd like to get some opinions from different points of views. Please feel free to ask any questions you have if Iíve missed any big things to look at on the car, and Iíll do my best to answer all of them.

Thanks,
Dave
Been there done that https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142...ve-enough.html. Exact same thing you are looking to do, 72->70 front clip etc. I replaced everything other than the roof, cowl, and rockers. I actually swapped for a 69 GTO chassis that I found for $700. It has been a long road and I have done 100% of the work myself. It can be done.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 5:21 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site.

Freddy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 10:09 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Welcome aboard Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 5:09 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Buy it...Give it to Dave Kindig @ Kindig-it Designs......................Along with $250,000 and you'll have the car of your dreams...

It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454 LS5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in