New Guy with 72 Chevelle Rust bucket - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBoatWhisperer
  • 1 Post By TheBoatWhisperer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 8:31 PM Thread Starter

New Guy with 72 Chevelle Rust bucket

Hey TC,
I just started working on my 72 Chevelle Malibu. It's a rust bucket. 47 years of paint and bondo. Patches riveted on. I dont think it has been on the road in 15 years. I intend to bring it back to life but by no means going for a show car.
I am an aircraft mechanic by education and a marine fabricator by choice. I do gelcoat and fiberglass repair as well as complete restoration and modification for a living.
I understand that I will have more money and labor into this car than I could ever get out. I have my wife's blessing to make it fast and loud. This is not her first fast car but it is mine.
I live in South Texas and today we had the first cold front of the season. So, I got to hacking the trunk floor out. Man, spot welds suck!!!
I see many high quality cars on here. I may be in the running for most ugly. I have a 454 I pulled out of an RV with 2000miles. It's a crate motor from early 2000's. Turbo400 transmission. I have 049 cast iron heads that I will be getting tuned up. I prefer Holley over Rochester.
After I replace the trunk and floor I will mainly focused on drivetrain, brakes suspension, and engine. My thought is to find a nice vehicle to swap all my quality parts. The previous owner ripped it all apart 10 years ago. I have parts in boxes. I'm going to get those 2" drop spindles. I might just do sheet metal dash. Nothing fancy. Primer black. Fast and rude.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Bart_Swisher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 8:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: New Guy with 72 Chevelle Rust bucket

Good work and welcome to Team Chevelle. For spot welds a spot weld cutter works wonders and leaves a clean cut to reweld to later.

Center punch the weld, drill a small pilot hole, then use the cutter at slow speed with cutting oil. If it's smoking, you're cutting too fast and will burn up cutters.

Now would be a good time to replace rearend bushings if they need replacing.

Example of spot weld cutter.......

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 8:45 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site.

Freddy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
I have a spot weld cutter and it works great. I have hard time finding the spot welds even after wire brushing back to shiny metal. Those corners up at the package tray and wheel well is a whole other story.
After about 20 I started to refine my technique. Hit every spot with a 1/8 drill but, swap to the cutter, slowly and firmly sink that cutter in...after a few I mimic the pressure each time and can keep the depth just right. I grab the chisel and the sound they make as each ones snaps off is music to my ears!

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Welcome to TC, that there is a prime example of true flow-through ventilation....

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 10:23 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Welcome aboard.
Good luck with the Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Welcome to Team Chevelle I'm not up on 2000 and newer 454's but I'm pretty sure they have roller cams which is a plus but you might want to do a search in either the "engine" or "performance" sections about putting 049 heads on the engine, it may need special or mkIV, gen V or gen VI head gaskets ??? but have fun that's what's important!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Welcome to Team Chevelle.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 9:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

I was just doing some work at my friends body shop and he introduced me to this 3M spotweld sander. By far the best tool I have used on spot welds. Belts last a long time and are cheap. Tool is expensive but it WORKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34DD3D86-FEA4-421A-8C4F-00EADB179FA5.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	605446  

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 19, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoatWhisperer View Post
Hey TC,
I just started working on my 72 Chevelle Malibu. It's a rust bucket. 47 years of paint and bondo. Patches riveted on. I dont think it has been on the road in 15 years. I intend to bring it back to life but by no means going for a show car.
I am an aircraft mechanic by education and a marine fabricator by choice. I do gelcoat and fiberglass repair as well as complete restoration and modification for a living.
I understand that I will have more money and labor into this car than I could ever get out. I have my wife's blessing to make it fast and loud. This is not her first fast car but it is mine.
I live in South Texas and today we had the first cold front of the season. So, I got to hacking the trunk floor out. Man, spot welds suck!!!
I see many high quality cars on here. I may be in the running for most ugly. I have a 454 I pulled out of an RV with 2000miles. It's a crate motor from early 2000's. Turbo400 transmission. I have 049 cast iron heads that I will be getting tuned up. I prefer Holley over Rochester.
After I replace the trunk and floor I will mainly focused on drivetrain, brakes suspension, and engine. My thought is to find a nice vehicle to swap all my quality parts. The previous owner ripped it all apart 10 years ago. I have parts in boxes. I'm going to get those 2" drop spindles. I might just do sheet metal dash. Nothing fancy. Primer black. Fast and rude.

Welcome to the party lol.. Been there done that! Anxious to see another one brought back from beyond the dead. Mine hadn't been on the road in 26 years. I am also starting on a 66 C10 pickup that hasn't been on the road since 1982.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142...ve-enough.html

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
Welcome to the party lol.. Been there done that! Anxious to see another one brought back from beyond the dead. Mine hadn't been on the road in 26 years. I am also starting on a 66 C10 pickup that hasn't been on the road since 1982.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142...ve-enough.html
I will be following in your footsteps. I read your entire thread. My wife is thrilled of the possibility. She says I need work faster. I said You need to make more money. It's going to be a long road.
Cutting into the trunk I became overwhelmed of all the parts I need to replace. Then I realized only the entire rear of the car is rotted. My floor pan is rotter but not the rockers. I ordered an entire floor pan w/rockers and braces.
My doors front quarters, hood, cowl, firewall is in good shape. I have some rust holes around the rain gutters, front and rear windshield. I am thinking to shave the rain rails. That will make my body work easier in those areas.
I just ordered rubber bushings for the body but I plan to use polyurethane on any steering components. I cant stand too many topics from engine, suspension, and brakes....those guys have cars that drive!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoatWhisperer View Post
I will be following in your footsteps. I read your entire thread. My wife is thrilled of the possibility. She says I need work faster. I said You need to make more money. It's going to be a long road.
Cutting into the trunk I became overwhelmed of all the parts I need to replace. Then I realized only the entire rear of the car is rotted. My floor pan is rotter but not the rockers. I ordered an entire floor pan w/rockers and braces.
My doors front quarters, hood, cowl, firewall is in good shape. I have some rust holes around the rain gutters, front and rear windshield. I am thinking to shave the rain rails. That will make my body work easier in those areas.
I just ordered rubber bushings for the body but I plan to use polyurethane on any steering components. I cant stand too many topics from engine, suspension, and brakes....those guys have cars that drive!

I replaced everything except the roof, cowl and rockers on mine. I shaved the rain gutters on mine as well. It is a long tedious process but it does look really nice when finished. I will be watching...

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in