64 Chevelle - Hello from Nashville TN - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woz10
  • 1 Post By Woz10

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

64 Chevelle - Hello from Nashville TN

Hello everyone, my name is Chris - I live in Nashville TN and have recently acquired a 64 Chevelle. It is a 283 3spd car with bucket seats that was converted to a floor shift. The interesting old man I bought it from has had it since the late 60s and supposedly bought it from a GM engineer who was testing out a modified 283 engine that was intended for the Corvette (supposedly a 350hp engine).

It has trunk floor pan rot and about an inch of rust around each of the rear fender arches, and the front passenger side frame needs some repair where the body mount sits on it, other than that its pretty solid just kinda beat up. I'm from upstate NY originally where everything rots away so this thing is like finding a mint condition old car to me !! It starts and drives but needs a lot of TLC.

Current plans are to repair the rot areas and try to blend some red paint in with this ratty old paint over the repairs then clear coat it as is. Mechanically I'll go through the suspension and replace all rubber parts, run new brake and fuel lines, do a front disc conversion and put this Holley Sniper system I picked up for a good price on it. I'll also be swapping in a rebuilt M20 4spd a buddy is giving me for dirt cheap, replacing the exhaust ... and then hopefully having a fun little car to drive around in and beat on. I'm not doing a full restoration or anything like that, just want a fun ratty little driver.

I'm definitely a novice on the old car restoration but no stranger to turning wrenches and working in my shop, I'm looking forward to gleaning some advice off of what I imagine is a wealth of knowledge on this site ! Please say hello if you're local .... and if you have any parts laying around to sell :-)

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade -> Other hobbies include thrashing my Hellcat, riding my Harleys and building furniture and whatever else in my garage. I have a CNC router and enjoy making all sorts of random stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Chevelle.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	600518  
Hotwire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 7:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: 64 Chevelle - Hello from Nashville TN

Welcome Chris, to Team Chevelle.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 8:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Welcome from another 64 fan!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 8:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Welcome man! Unfortunately I took the 64 Chevelle on tail of the dragon badge already.

I'm in Greensboro, NC, go to Pigeon Forge once or twice a year, usually end of Sept for autocross event. Will be there this year, it's a good time with a lot of awesome cars, and you can ride in them if you like when they're running autocross.

I'm far from full of knowledge when it comes to the 64 but have been all over mine, hopefully I can help when you have a question.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:01 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Welcome aboard Chris
Have fun with the 64

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 3:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys, and Hotwire - that sounds like a good time.

I travel to Wilson NC a lot for work so I'm not to far from your neck of the woods on a pretty regular basis. I'd love to have mine running and driving well enough for some autocross some day. They do that in Nashville at the Good Guys car show each year.
Hotwire likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:07 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site.

Freddy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:01 PM

Hi Guys, I cannot find a place to post a new thread/question. Can anyone help?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen Tennison View Post
Hi Guys, I cannot find a place to post a new thread/question. Can anyone help?
A new thread about what?
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Welcome to Team Chevelle Woz.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 8:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz10 View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys, and Hotwire - that sounds like a good time.

I travel to Wilson NC a lot for work so I'm not to far from your neck of the woods on a pretty regular basis. I'd love to have mine running and driving well enough for some autocross some day. They do that in Nashville at the Good Guys car show each year.
Unfortunately you'll have to dump some money into the suspension to be even slightly competitive with the way the A-body geometries are. I went out just trying to keep off the bottom of the list and not plow down cones. That was the most fun I had in a car with my clothes on. Spinning, drifting, 4 wheel slides, just everything you ever wanted to do without getting a ticket. Stock suspension with poly bushings, new moog springs, and kyb gas-a-just shocks.

Here's the event coming up next month. Doubt I'll be on the autocross, but will be there supporting my buddies and possibly wrenching.

https://www.facebook.com/events/383076142479522/

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in