1969 Chevelle found in Grandpa's granary - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 7:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Re: 1969 Chevelle found in Grandpa's granary

Body looks solid, chassis (considering it was driven daily in Utah) probably needs work. Unfortunate part is, unless someone has the skill set and/or money, this is a project that will get upside down real fast. With all these cars one thing leads to another. 100,000 miles on a 50 year old car that most likely has never had anything done to it other than an occasional oil change and brakes isn't something you just toss fresh gas in, give it a bath and go for a joy ride. Conservative, I see $20,000 being spent on a car that it will have a market value of about half that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 8:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
Body looks solid, chassis (considering it was driven daily in Utah) probably needs work. Unfortunate part is, unless someone has the skill set and/or money, this is a project that will get upside down real fast. With all these cars one thing leads to another. 100,000 miles on a 50 year old car that most likely has never had anything done to it other than an occasional oil change and brakes isn't something you just toss fresh gas in, give it a bath and go for a joy ride. Conservative, I see $20,000 being spent on a car that it will have a market value of about half that.
Not sure I agree with this..........can you spend 20,000 on a resto? Sure! When done, is it worth 10,000? Hardly..........I haven't seen a done Chevelle for sale for 10K in a long time.
cheveslakr, augy, dell72 and 5 others like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 9:06 AM
Tech Team
Mike

WOW. can't believe all the guys saying frame off this and frame off that. That's a quick way to get upside down on that car in a hurry. First, the body looks solid, but how are the floors, frame, and trunk floor? If those are in good shape, then leave the body on the frame, why spend money if you don't have to? As for that 307 engine in there? don't bother wasting time, money, and energy on getting it running. That engine isn't worth even trying to get it running. Whatever you decide to do, is your choice. If you want to make it look like an SS and go SS clone route, that's cool, if you want the sleeper grandpa look, that's cool too. I wouldn't even bother painting it!! I myself would either stick a big block with a better transmission and 12 bolt posi rear end in it, or i'd to a LS conversion with fuel injection and overdrive transmission, and maybe aftermarket air conditioning.

Not sure what your abilities are with cars, but the more work you can do in house, either yourself, or friends and family helping that know what they're doing is the cheapest, albeit sometimes slowest route. I'd start with making a list of what the car absolutely NEEDS, like all glass replaced, tail lights, head lights, stuff the car cannot be on the road without. Then do your homework on different options. You're going to be gutting out the interior too, to get rid of the varmint mess, and smell. Wear gloves, and a respirator so you don't get sick from the crap in there! you may actually want to replace the headliner before having the front and rear windows installed. Everything for that car's interior is available. There are multiple web forums that discuss LS conversions on any car, especially these. There are also guys on here that have converted them. There are multiple engine combinations you can go with, small block, big block, etc. That car is a blank slate, a fresh canvas ready to be made into whatever you want it to be! Cars very clean and cool though, and well worth saving! Good luck!

post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 9:27 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks View Post
Thanks. I don't know if this is a silly question but if I were to restore the car, in your opinion, is there a particular order I should do it in? Meaning, should I replace the engine first, paint it first, interior, glass, etc. or does it really matter?
I would probably work on getting it up and running first. Form follows function. Make it go, make it STOP! Stopping is just as important as making it go. Safety is a TOP Priority. (I defer back to a previous comment about doing Body Work first which makes great sense if you ARE going to Completely Restore it)
Nice find! Good Luck!

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 10:10 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If the car is not infested with rust, I’d spend up to $5K restoring the mechanical systems and rudimentary interior repair. With a clean up it’s easy worth $10-12k. Depending on how nice it turns out, could be more. Resist the temptation to spend large dollars on single items. Most of what’s likely wrong can be repaired inexpensively. No crate engines, transmissions, etc.; repair what you have. The bottom end of the engine is likely ok. Smoking was likely valve guides, a common problem. Transmission will need to be resealed. Spend the effort to clean everything thoroughly and paint items repaired. It will show in the final results.

I’d love to have that car under the conditions.
427L88 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 7:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kevin

I like it, lots of possibilities, LS would be a great idea.... of course we're always willing to spend your money.
Please just for me grab a can of rubbing compound and do a fender or quarter panel and post a picture.
dell72 and Nothingbut69 like this.
post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Not sure I agree with this..........can you spend 20,000 on a resto? Sure! When done, is it worth 10,000? Hardly..........I haven't seen a done Chevelle for sale for 10K in a long time.
If you're not doing the work, $20K will get spent fast. Let's list the items that need attention, engine and trans, full interior, glass, suspension, wiring, fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, master cylinder, distribution block, steering box, radiator, lights. Haven't even touched the body and paint. Car has sat 30+ years, in a field and then in a barn. Show me a 307/powerglide Malibu that has sold for $20K or more unless it was a near perfect restoration, and if it was a near perfect restoration I'd bet there was well over $20K spent. I'm not saying it's a junker, just touching on how fast $$$$ add up when you have the work done by someone else.

post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 1:18 PM Thread Starter

Again, thanks for all the advice. Here is what I have found out in the last few days and some answers to some of your questions.

I spoke with my brother who has many older cars. He is going to help me do as much of the work as possible or tell me where to take it to get the car to get it worked on. He told me that he has had cars that looked worse than this chevelle. He said it will take time and money but will be worth it. He was very encouraging. He has given me names of a mechanic and a body shop who worked on his 1956 Chevy Bel Air (I included a picture my brother sent me). He said both places are very honest and very fair about what they do if I want to use them eventually. My plan is to get the car to the mechanic first and have him tell me what he thinks about the car overall (engine, brakes suspension, etc). After what he tells me, I will see where to proceed next.

Someone asked about the rims. When the car was pulled out, it only had two mag wheels on it (see the picture). I agree the car looks good with them but wherever the other two are is a great mystery.

Also, one picture looked like it had a bunch of eggs in the truck. Those were golf balls. Again, why by brother had 50 golf balls in the trunk of his car is also a great mystery.

Someone asked if I would use rubbing compound on one part of the car. I did that and included before and after pictures. It did look good after I used it but a lot of the paint did come off on the rags. The color is maroon or whatever they called in when it was painted in 1969.

A question I have has to do with the value of the car. Say I do put $20,000 into the car. Perhaps it won't be worth that much right now but will the value of it go down like the car I drive now? Will it value not be worth much in say 10 years? 20 years?

I have included a few other pictures of the car. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664[1].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	525665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151[1].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	525673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160[1].jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	525681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161[1].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	525689  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162[1].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	525697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	525705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	525713  
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I love that color, maroon or whatever. Whatever it is worth now, I guess it will be worth that much or more tomorrow and the next year. Any type of stock/replacement repairs will probably not cost you money in the long run, but unique custom stuff probably will. To me a $10,000 car with $2,000 of wheels and tires is a $10,500 car. Same with audio, custom interior, blacked out brightwork...
dyno jonn likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

wow that 1/4 panel buffed out nice , as i see it you are already $$$$ ahead ! make a list of repairs and price what it will cost to do them ! chevelle parts catalogs will help ! keep it simple and you will stay in the green !
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 6:16 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks View Post
I honestly don't know what my plans are. It would be fun to have an older car to drive around. My two brothers have older classic cars and I have always liked muscle cars and since this one practically landed in my lap, I thought it would be awesome to try to make it look good and work great.
i would have peed myself if this car landed in my lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
My rule of thumb for starting with any project like this (and I would love to have a project like this car to start with!) is

1. make it start
2. make it stop
3. make it safe
4. make it comfortable
5. make it pretty

Spend wisely, work hard and you'll have a car to be proud of for a very long time.
i like this list. i would spend some time enjoying the car after #4, while thinking of #5. me personally, i would change #5 to "do other stuff". "Do other stuff" could just be doing burnouts and driving to the tire store often, or it could be new paint. If that car was in my possession, i would make it run really well, like make it run way better than it might look. Have someone who knows detailing take a look at cleaning it up, then drive the crap out of it. You are so far ahead of the game on this.......
b&b's69 likes this.
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 6:34 PM
Tech Team
Scott

I agree with Pioneer. Anything done to restore the original look will always look classic but anything custom will eventually look dated to what ever period the mod was made (lower the value not improve it if I was the buyer). It's to a large extent personal preference but if I am a prospective buyer I always feel the stock looking cars were better cared for and worked on by somebody who more likely knew what they were doing.

I would start by removing everything from the trunk and interior which didn't come originally with the car. That doesn't cost you anything and will allow you to more easily evaluate it. It will also give a much better impression to anybody doing work for you. Once it's clean you can evaluate the trunk. You should try to see what the floor looks like. If your brother has a suggestion for people you can trust to do good work it would be good to ask them to take a close look underneath on a lift. Sitting outside in a field can cause corrosion from the bottom up. The body looks pretty good especially the area you simply cleaned off. I think if it was done with a stock look including the Malibu emblems on the rear quarters and a stock looking upgraded 350 under the hood it would be one cool car even if you could get away with out paint right away. The only thing I thought I saw were some wrinkles in the roof. Was that dirt or did something slightly dent the roof? It's not worth dumping lots of money into the 307 but for the cost of maintenance parts and maybe valve seals if that's all it needs at least it would move under it's own power. The transmission will be a mystery but at least around here you can pick-up used TH350's quite reasonably.

In any case you need to clean and evaluate first. A lot have already written take car of safety and items to make sure what ever motor is in it can run as priorities (brakes, fuel system cleaned out, lines inspected and at least all rubber sections replaced). I've had cars where I've done small restoration items each year but was able to still drive the car. If you go too far taking it all apart you may find it takes a long time to get it back together.

Good luck. I hope you keep it considering the history within your family.

Scott
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 7:29 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Yes keep the car!! The story about it would make it worth the time and money to fix it back up.

1969 Chevelle SS --- 468 FTI Level 4 TH400 AFR 290cc's
1997 S10 SS ---LQ9/4l65e
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 8:52 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Restorations can cost well north of the $20,000.00 your talking about. With your brother helping you and the body looking decent like it does you can have a nice driver for under the 20g's your mentioning. Take your time. Its really easy to spend money like a drunk sailor and get nothing but a crooked tattoo.
Wallydog
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 11:55 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I sorry to see that you’re having to pay to have work done. The money only goes half as far as doing it yourself. If the car is free to you, you can still be well back of the money if you are careful in your planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 694 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.