Jerems 66 Chevelle, LT4 / Art Morrison / T56 Magnum - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 4:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jerems 66 Chevelle, LT4 / Art Morrison / T56 Magnum

There will be some long posts as I copy this over from pro-touring forums. It's a 66 Chevelle being built by Jeff Allison at Allison Customs, we donít have any project name for the car and I canít really think of anything clever for it haha.

Itís due to be a daily driver with some Pro Touring flare to it, 650hp LT4, T56 Magnum, Art Morrison chassis, powder coated trim/bumbers etc. (no chrome on the car), comfortable modern interior. ALSO, just learned that the car will be going to SEMA 2018 and will be in the Ron Francis Wiring booth! That's pretty exciting and we would like to give a big thanks to Ron Francis for getting involved and deeming us worthy for being in their booth haha.

I will keep this up to date best I can, I'm not doing the work but as I get updates, so will you.

You can follow the build here, Allison Customs Facebook page and Robert Kibbe from the Musclecar place will have updates every once and awhile on The Musclecar Place Podcast. Jeff and I were on episode #260 (Listen Here) introducing the build. We were on the show for the fact that this build came about because I found out about Allison Customs from Robertís podcast when Allison Customs was building Robert's 64 Chevelle and the show was one of the driving forces to get me to contact Jeff about building my car.

This is just my dream car coming to reality, itís not a big name build or anything just my idea for my dream Chevelle and Iím really looking forward to seeing it come together.

The current stage of the build is itís torn down, disassembled and waiting for soda blasting to see the true state of the sheet metal (fingers crossed).

For now, hereís some Pics:
Before:

Wood Door Panels? Interesting...

A bunch of parts that came with the car

Shipping Issues...This was a bit scary when I first saw these photos but everything ended up ok. The car was NOT tied down that well and when the driver slammed on the brakes to make a turn...

jaketoolson and b&b's69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Jerems 66 Chevelle, LT4 / Art Morrison / T56 Magnum

Jeff went searching for rust...and found it...as well as dirt, sand and god knows what else haha.

Radiator Support...toast...Jeff will be making a custom tubular support for the car so this wasn't a big deal

But this will need to get replaced, just behind the front passenger wheel well

Insides of doors etc, were in pretty good shape

Various Pics

Jeff said the frame was in surprisingly good shape, very little damage at all found on it.

Body was put on the rotisserie, first turn over made a mess.

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

A little update on the Chevelle. It got soda blasted by Dwight of Advanced Stripping Technologies which turned up some Ďsuspectí areas. Either way itís good to see the car making the next step but Iím hoping the damage isnít extensive and isolated to certain areas.

Dwight hard at work.

The Ďsuspectí spots where a lot of filler was used, these will be getting glass beaded to see the true state of the metal before going off for primer, crossing my fingersÖ :scared:

Pin holes showed up in the floorÖ

In the case for the driver door, filler was used to fill rust spots that rusted right through, awesome.

Some typical rust spots were found that werenít surprising like the lower windshield mounting area and trunk edge.

Next step is the glass shooting to get rid of all the filler then off to get primer before Jeff starts working his magic on the sheet metal.

Stay Tuned.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The car made it's way back to the shop to start on the sheet metal repairs / modifications.

drivers side floor had some issues we could see at first.

And the sheet metal started rolling in....more than we first anticiapated....and I hoped that would be needed!

post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The repairs have begun, starting with the drivers side Cowl panel.

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Decided to get some professional renderings done by Eric Brockmeyer. BrockmeyerDesign

Eric did an amazing job, took about 2 month total but I was in no hurry and the quality of work was amazing. He came up with some really trick ideas that I ended up keeping apart of the final rendering.

He made some pretty sweet door panel designs but I don't know if totally custom interior is going to be in the budget so I got a version with the TMI done just encase haha.

Let me know what you think.

post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Small update, Jeff did the Passenger side cowl repair...no pictures yet but he has a new Youtube channel, Project Car TV, and he shows the repairs on his latest vid...check it out and his other videos, he's making a pretty cool mustang too...

Another Youtube video of Jeff finishing up the passenger side cowl.

jaketoolson likes this.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Firewall work has started! ABC Performance Ultimate smooth firewall going in soon...

[img]http://res.cloudinary.com/jerems/image/upload/v1500797057/Chevelle/Sheet%20Metal%20Repair/FB_IMG_1453306440672_zpsdmd5gnka.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:14 AM.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Some more pics of progress on the firewall / rockers and cowls. Also the new Hydro boost from Hydratech came in, ordered through Matt at MCB's. Really great company to work with and has helped out a lot on this project so far, especially my Art Morrison frame with all suspension / brakes and rear end....more to come on that later!

Cowl and rockers:

Firewall

ABC Performance Ultimate Smooth Firewall...

Lower windshield tray needs replacing and making the cowl below the windshield smooth...no more louvers.

Here's a video of some of the firewall and rocker work on Project Car TV:

new Hydro boost, went with the street prep version:

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:17 AM.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeff Continuing work on the firewall...

Center section showed up, Strange S-Trac unit, 35 spline and 3.70 Gears.

AND something for that center section to plug into, 900 Pounds of AME frame showed up! Will be getting Ridetech shockwaves and has a Strange Pro-Touring floater kit installed by AME. Big thanks to Chris at AME and Matt/Kim at MCB for helping me get this beauty ordered and put together!

And no, those aren't the wheels/tires being used haha.

Out of it's protective shell...

Strange Pro-touring Floater

Can't wait to see it all together!

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:19 AM.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Some more progress getting done on the car.... Jeff is installing some 2.5 Inch pipe down the rockers for a wire chase, should help keep the wire from bulging up the carpet. Check out his new video on PCTV installing the passenger side rocker.

Some Pics of rocker work.

[img]http://res.cloudinary.com/jerems/image/upload/v1500797076/Chevelle/Sheet%20Metal%20Repair/IMG_2018_zpsuzxedgcq.jpg
[/img]

Drive side floor getting replaced

[img]http://res.cloudinary.com/jerems/image/upload/v1500797076/Chevelle/Sheet%20Metal%20Repair/IMG_2016_zpslcmjhpvl.jpg
[/img]

Almost ready for the first test fit with the new frame...

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:23 AM.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeff and I were recently on the The Muscle Car Place with Robert Kibbie again talking about the project. It was a two part deal due to technical difficulties. I was on episode 276 babbling on but it was fun regardless haha. Jeff was on episode 278, which is much better. Check it out.

Episode 276
TMCP #276 Jeremy McLellan and Jeff Allison 1966 Chevelle Build, Long Distance Affair - PT Update with Ed Capen | TheMuscleCarPlace.com

Episode 278
Jeff Allison with Part 2 of Jeremy McLellan's 1966 Chevelle Build - Larry Callahan with the Pro-Touring Update from Thunderhill Raceway! | TheMuscleCarPlace.com
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well it's the first time the body has met it's new frame...Jeff made up some temp shocks for the rear to put it around what ride height should be!

[img]http://res.cloudinary.com/jerems/image/upload/v1500787007/Chevelle/2016%2003%20-%20Body%20On%20Frame/IMG_2070_zpssi5ta4cp.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:25 AM.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Haven't updated in a while but Jeff put up a video of the Chevelle being set down on the frame:

Also, Jeff has been making progress on getting the mini tubs in and installing the new trunk floor. The one side of the trunk floor has provisions for spare tire hook up etc. So he scraped that half and made up his one piece to mimic the other side.

Last edited by Administrator; Aug 11th, 17 at 11:29 AM.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 5:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeff did get a video up of the Mini-tubbin' procress. Enjoy!

Mini-Tubbin' Part 2...

Another video of Jeff working on the trunk pan install...

jaketoolson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in