My 65 LS Swap Project - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 148 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: My 65 LS Swap Project

Last update for a week or so.

Installed fans and shroud onto Cold Case radiator. Painted the front core section of the radiator black so no large expanses of aluminum can be seen through the grill. Might have to back up and paint the A/C lines to the condenser too.

Slotted holes that Cold Case had on the Radiator flange didn't come close to fitting any of the factory holes in my core support so had to locate radiator and drill my own. Working on locating an overflow that I bought off Amazon. Its a 3" OD about 10" long, all aluminum and powder coated black. Very nice piece for the money.

Got exhaust modified and welded up. Will post pictures of that as I install it this weekend.

Oh, forgot to mention.... Driveshaft Shop CV joint style driveshaft is on order. Hope it arrives first or second week of Jan. Also got a bunch of TMI interior stuff on order as well. Saved a bunch by waiting for the Black Friday Sale through Matt's Bowtie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	611246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	611248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	611250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	611252  

Dan65ss likes this.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Oh, I forgot to mention.... lucked out on the upper and lower radiator hoses. I was dreading the multiple trips to the parts store and trying to sort through a wall of hoses to find something to modify. I had several hoses left over from previous Chevelle projects so dug around and found those. Well the hose Gods smiled upon me and with a little cutting they fit mint! I did buy a swivel lower thermostat housing which made that one an easy piece. On the upper the hose I had was an 1-1/2" so I bought a Gates reducer to 1-1/4".

Wish the rest of this project was as easy. I've found that I've had to buy nearly everything because the trove of stuff I've saved over the years won't work on this LS.

Jeff Evans
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #93 of 148 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 7:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Funny you say that about your extra saved stuff. I have piles of stuff saved "just in case" and never even look through it cause I know it just won't fit.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I've been working towards the goal of getting this thing running by mid January to make my body shop appointment for the 2 tone paint. To that end I took Friday off and spent all weekend working on the last details to be able to light the fire!

Happy to report that I was able to get it running!

I took a couple of videos on my phone, just got to figure out best way to upload these.

Until I figure that out here's a couple pics of the wiring details I finished up....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	614076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	614078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	614080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	614082  

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	614084  
Hotwire likes this.

Jeff Evans
post #95 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Congratulations! Always nice to get it running the first time.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #96 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:21 PM
Tech Team
Troy

That's great you got it fired up.

If you don't mind I'd like to point out a couple of possible trouble spots.

#1 is the adapters on the fuel filter/regulator, that style with the plastic clips can fail and that can be huge problem. There is a couple newer styles that are more secure. I believe Earls and Russell each have an improved version that will swap out with ease.

The second is the fuel tank straps. I've heard of the bent ends opening up and pulling out from the braces. Some people have put a screw through the strap and into the brace to secure the strap.

I was thinking when I'm at that point, if could bend the tail of the strap closer to the main part and drill and bolt them together.

Anyway, good job and good luck at the body shop.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #97 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
That's great you got it fired up.

If you don't mind I'd like to point out a couple of possible trouble spots.

#1 is the adapters on the fuel filter/regulator, that style with the plastic clips can fail and that can be huge problem. There is a couple newer styles that are more secure. I believe Earls and Russell each have an improved version that will swap out with ease.

The second is the fuel tank straps. I've heard of the bent ends opening up and pulling out from the braces. Some people have put a screw through the strap and into the brace to secure the strap.

I was thinking when I'm at that point, if could bend the tail of the strap closer to the main part and drill and bolt them together.

Anyway, good job and good luck at the body shop.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the fittings.

I'll also take a closer look at the fuel tank straps. the material in that area is doubled over and I rebent it to be more of a hook than what it came with. I'll see if I can get a clamp up there to squeeze it together more.

Jeff Evans
post #98 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 1:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Loaded video to Youtube, let me know if it works....

David Bates and Hotwire like this.

Jeff Evans
post #99 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

So awesome that you have it running! Great job. Amazing how quick that system starts to learn and smooth out.
Jeff65SS likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #100 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
So awesome that you have it running! Great job. Amazing how quick that system starts to learn and smooth out.
Yes it did home in on the A/F quickly and smoothed out. I did discover that the learn function wasn't turned on for this first start up so everything that the closed loop fixed wasn't saved. Have that corrected now. The Holley software is a very powerful tool and I can see that I have a lot to learn on EFI tuning.

A couple of notes that may help others.....

LS motors will not always build oil pressure by turning over with the key. I tried all the tricks I read on the internet, Removed spark plugs so it would spin faster, back filled the oil passage that leads to the pump with oil, etc.... still no oil pressure. With the pump above the oil level in the pump the pump has to spin much fasted to draw the oil up the pickup tube. I finally decided to fire it, had 50-60 psi within a few seconds of running so all is well. Whew! Wasted half a day trying though.

Had to have my brother help me bleed my clutch master. I had purchased what I thought was a remote speed bleeder from Speedway but soon learned that it was just a "remote bleeder". Guess I should have read that more closely. Think the speed bleeder would have worked great here though and could have done it by myself. Anyway have a great pedal feel now. Was really nervous about using DOT 3 fluid and ruining my painted firewall, so I taped off everything nearby but in the end it was mess free.

I had purchased a small quantity of relays for the fans, fuel pump and any other things that might come up. Once I really dug into the EFI manual they suggested using "Flyback" style relays to prevent any voltage spikes from reaching the EFI circuits. Found some on Amazon that had the same waterproof base that I had used to do the wiring so it was an easy swap.
http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wish I had mounted my ECM differently, didn't consider the large quantity of wires, relays, fuses that would all be jumbled around it. Plus I have all the connections facing downward which is a pain to plug in by feel. Especially the serial port connection. When I decided on the cavity under the fender behind the wheelwell I didn't have the inner fender set in place, less room than I had planned on.

All I can think of right now.
Dan65ss likes this.

Jeff Evans
post #101 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 1:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Good job man!! There's plenty of smiles per mile waiting on ya now!
Jeff65SS likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #102 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Good job man!! There's plenty of smiles per mile waiting on ya now!
Thanks, I've got a long ways to go before its done.

Jeff Evans
post #103 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
Michael

Looking good Jeff!
Jeff65SS likes this.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #104 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

So talked with my painter/body shop and he has another hot rod in the shop now that has "scope creep" so its going to be almost March before he can get my car in..... but I've got a lot of other stuff to do so I guess its not a show stopper.

Wiring, wiring and more wiring! Spent most of the weekend working on getting my Dakota Digital dash powered up and almost have the Vintage Air all wired. The video below is demo mode for the VHX dash, I like the back lighting! Using a bridge module from Dakota Digital I was able to pull over all the sensor data from the Holley HP except for the oil pressure. Talked with Dakota Digital today and sounds like I might need to have new software installed on the bridge module. They had some issues early on and have those fixed now. I ordered my bridge module well after these issues had been fixed but never know how long it have have been sitting on a shelf.

The picture below is all the unused wiring I removed from my new AAW Classic Update Series harness! The dash and EFI eliminated a lot of stuff. The AAW harness has 6 additional fused circuits that have came in very handy for the Vintage Air and other stuff. I've also tried to reuse/repurpose fused circuits like the dash light and gauge circuit for powering the Dakota dash. Keeps it a lot neater job vs. add on inline fuses for items.

Plugging away.....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	614778  
senna likes this.

Jeff Evans
post #105 of 148 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 2:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Seems wasteful to buy that whole new harness, then cut 90% of it out doesn't it!

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in