Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 16, 9:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to tommycomfort
Another Farrington run at Pro-Touring

As promised here’s the build thread for our “new to us” 66 Chevelle. I’m finding it tough to describe how we came to the point of buying another car considering that we already have a pretty well accomplished street, auto-x and track Chevelle. I guess there is a loss of love going on for the car that I bounced off of a guardrail then plugged into the tire wall. Granted, it was all my fault and no fault of the Chevelle, but I still feel betrayed by the rocket ship that I’ve felt so comfortable in for so long. Or, maybe it was paying for paint and body for the third time that pushed me over the edge. Bottom line, once the old silver Chevelle is back together it will find a new owner and a fresh passion. With the current paint and body work complete it will never be this nice again, especially if we start driving on cross country trips and hitting track days like we always have.

Enough about the loss of love for the other car! Deb and I had talked about finding another car to build but definitely hadn’t been actively searching. A friend of mine from Georgia who occasionally buys Chevelle parts off of me and vise versa mentioned that a mutual friend had decided to sell his Malibu. I had seen the car a few times and knew it was nice but never really looked it over with a critical eye. I do remember driving my Chevelle from Indy to Nashville, TN for Goodguys back in 2013 and passing him on the bridge over the Ohio river just before getting into Kentucky. When I passed him there was a friendly wave and I flat out fell in love with the car.

So here’s what it is. A super clean, Mist Blue, 1966 Chevelle Malibu, 230cu straight six, powerglide transmission, black bench seat interior, AM radio, four wheel manual drum brakes, manual steering and just under 39,000 original miles. Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking. “Don’t modify such a nice original car”. Feel free to call, text, or private message me here or on facebook to tell me how strongly you feel about what we should do with our new car, but in the end we’ll make this car what we want and it will still be ours.

We’re still up in the air about some of the upgrades but right now here’s what it is looking like:
*LS engine
*Holley Dominator EFI
*Magnum T56
*DSE X-Gen front frame section grafted onto an existing Chevelle frame
*Full DSE rear suspension
*JRi coilovers
*ABC Performance mini-tubs and frame narrowing kit
*Baer four wheel disc brakes
*Dakota Digital Dash
*American Auto Wire full wiring harness
*C&R radiator with dual Spal fans
*Magnaflow 3” stainless exhaust
*GM 12 bolt rearend

Our 66 build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb's wagon upgrade thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The new shop build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 16, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Another Farrington run at Pro-Touring

Sounds like a great platform to start the new build on Tom. Congrats on the new to you car, and I say do whatever you want with it. If they are on the road, then they are out of the crusher or barn, so that is good in my eyes.
tommycomfort likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 16, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Love the starting point! Looking forward to following the build.

Really makes me miss my 66, also started with a I6 but ended up a BBC/th400 street/strip ride.
tommycomfort likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 16, 10:11 PM
Tech Team
Randy

I look forward to seeing what you guys will do with this car. Very nice one to start with is a big plus.
tommycomfort likes this.

In the Garage
72 Cheyenne super pickup
70 El Camino
My El Camino build thread:

spoilersbyrandy.com
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Sounds like a great platform to start the new build on Tom. Congrats on the new to you car, and I say do whatever you want with it. If they are on the road, then they are out of the crusher or barn, so that is good in my eyes.
Thanks Dan! We feel the same way, but there are definitely others who don't see it our way.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
Love the starting point! Looking forward to following the build.

Really makes me miss my 66, also started with a I6 but ended up a BBC/th400 street/strip ride.
Thanks Allen! As cool as it is to drive with the 6 and glide, they really don't serve much use with the fun stuff we do.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgthelmick View Post
I look forward to seeing what you guys will do with this car. Very nice one to start with is a big plus.
Thanks Randy, we are super excited to get wrenching on this one!

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Weren't you going to install a new front clip on the old car? Maybe I misread that awhile back not sure.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 1:01 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Looks great Tom! Very nice original car. Can't wait to see everything done to it.

Are you going to be installing the DSE front clip onto the stock frame yourself?

Do you know which engine your going with?

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 16, 4:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
Weren't you going to install a new front clip on the old car? Maybe I misread that awhile back not sure.
You had read that right Rob, but once we started toying with the idea of another Chevelle it didn't make much sense to install it in the other one.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 16, 7:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I might not have mentioned before that we made the deal to buy the Chevelle without the 14" steel wheels and red line BFG tires. Yep, we thought they were cool but the money he knocked off for them was significant and he let us use them to get it home and take some pictures.

So, for the time being we are using these 17x8.5" C5 Vette wheels just like Deb has on her wagon and we stole a set of her BFG Comp-2 A/S tires. 255 front, 275 rear. They won't stay for long, but they do allow for some brake upgrades before we put it away for the winter.

Before putting the Vette wheels on , I grabbed one of the Vintage Wheel Works V40s from our silver 66 and one of Sam's Forgelines just to take a look. Since Sam's four door project is pretty deep on the back burner do to his new found busy life, we're "borrowing" a ton of parts from that build and really, his wheels were going to be part of that. So, I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say about wheel choices. We're not completely limited to these two and we're also not opposed to painting hoops or centers on the Forgelines. Between Sam, Deb and I we all have different opinions so nothing is set yet.

Vette wheel

Forgeline

Vintage Wheel Works V40

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 16, 11:55 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

That is one beautiful car to start out with. Im kinda diggin the Forgeline's
tommycomfort likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 16, 3:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
That is one beautiful car to start out with. Im kinda diggin the Forgeline's
Ryan, do you have the real nice 1st generation black Camaro.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 5:04 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I like both wheels but the Forgelines look more "serious" IMO. To me, straight sixes and Powerglides are only good for one thing: boat anchors. Even in a stone stock Chevy. That Malibu looks very nice, and a good color. Are you going to keep the existing finish or paint it? It should be a fun build.
tommycomfort likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 7:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
I like both wheels but the Forgelines look more "serious" IMO. To me, straight sixes and Powerglides are only good for one thing: boat anchors. Even in a stone stock Chevy. That Malibu looks very nice, and a good color. Are you going to keep the existing finish or paint it? It should be a fun build.
Thanks Von!
I wondered if you would wander upon this thread or I was going to have to surprise you at the local cruise. I don't want to talk too bad about straight six and powerglides just yet since I plan to sell the combo on Craigslist soon but they definitely have no place in the hobby we participate in.
The plan is to leave the existing paint as is. it has plenty of flaws but to us they just add character and it will definitely be less difficult to watch stone chips happen if we don't spend a fortune on new paint.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1349 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.