post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 11:04 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: Another Farrington run at Pro-Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
Thanks Von!
I wondered if you would wander upon this thread or I was going to have to surprise you at the local cruise. I don't want to talk too bad about straight six and powerglides just yet since I plan to sell the combo on Craigslist soon but they definitely have no place in the hobby we participate in.
The plan is to leave the existing paint as is. it has plenty of flaws but to us they just add character and it will definitely be less difficult to watch stone chips happen if we don't spend a fortune on new paint.
Good plan. I haven't been to the cruise as often this year due to weather or whatever. Never seems to be anyone I know there anymore either. Hopefully we'll get some nice Fridays now and more people will attend. If they finish const on the street there soon it will help too.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 2:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Well buddy, I love everything you have planned for it. Like you said it's yours and build it how you want. I see why you fell in love with it, I would too!

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 4:22 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
Ryan, do you have the real nice 1st generation black Camaro.
No I dont unfortunately. Id take one though if your giving them away.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to tommycomfort

Sure Deb and I promised ourselves we wouldn't do much work to the new 66 until the silver one was back together and we've mostly stuck to that. But... When we were putting the wheel adapter/spacers on for the temporary wheels and tires I had Deb stand on the brake pedal so I could torque the lugs and it should have been no surprise that the right front locked up and wouldn't release. After trying a few other things I opened the bleeder and it shot fluid across the room. I had dealt with bad rubber hoses on a 4-door parts car that ended up being a really cool driver a number of years ago. What happens is the deterioration of the hose allows it to become a one way valve. So, replaced the drivers side front, bled both fronts and all was good except it was pulling right pretty significantly. Decided to change the drives side and that helped it stop relatively straight for a drum system. Went to bleed the rears and it wasn't pushing any fluid at all so replaced that one too.
Deb and Sam have decided to take the wagon and the new Chevelle to Charlotte for Goodguys in a couple weeks and of course they're going to auto-x both so we decided we better replace the nasty single master cylinder with a dual. Oddly enough the Wilwood 7/8" from the silver Chevelle was just setting on the shelf so I grabbed it. 7/8" allows for a lot of pedal travel but the drums work great now.

Cut open brake hose.

I don't know if this was the original master cylinder but it has clearly been leaking for a while. Probably will lead to some firewall restoration when things come apart.

Looks a little out of place...

Our 66 build thread:

Deb's wagon upgrade thread:

The new shop build:
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Great new project, Tom, Deb, & Sam! Congrats!

Where did you find such a great car? Perfect platform for a pro touring set up!

Did I miss your drive train plans?
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Great new project, Tom, Deb, & Sam! Congrats!

Where did you find such a great car? Perfect platform for a pro touring set up!

Did I miss your drive train plans?
Thanks Pete!

Believe it or not, a friend of ours from southern Indiana has had it for a few years. I never really thought he would sell it, but then a mutual friend mentioned that he planned to sell it. One thing led to another and we bought it.

Sam's four door is on hold for a while while he gets his busy young life going so we will be "borrowing" a lot of the parts we have collected for his car. That includes a Magnum T-56 and probably his Aluminum 6.2. When we sell the silver/grey 66 we'll offer it with that 6.2 or the Mast Motorsports Black Label 416. Obviously I would rather keep the Mast engine for the new car, but they are always willing to build more and we're dealers for them so that helps some.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 16, 9:05 AM

Nice project Tom.

Have you ever looked into Clifford Performance 6=8? They make some cool stuff for the inline 6.

ramey

UMI Technical Support

814-343-6315

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 16, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
I might not have mentioned before that we made the deal to buy the Chevelle without the 14" steel wheels and red line BFG tires. Yep, we thought they were cool but the money he knocked off for them was significant and he let us use them to get it home and take some pictures.

So, for the time being we are using these 17x8.5" C5 Vette wheels just like Deb has on her wagon and we stole a set of her BFG Comp-2 A/S tires. 255 front, 275 rear. They won't stay for long, but they do allow for some brake upgrades before we put it away for the winter.

Before putting the Vette wheels on , I grabbed one of the Vintage Wheel Works V40s from our silver 66 and one of Sam's Forgelines just to take a look. Since Sam's four door project is pretty deep on the back burner do to his new found busy life, we're "borrowing" a ton of parts from that build and really, his wheels were going to be part of that. So, I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say about wheel choices. We're not completely limited to these two and we're also not opposed to painting hoops or centers on the Forgelines. Between Sam, Deb and I we all have different opinions so nothing is set yet.

Vette wheel

Forgeline

Vintage Wheel Works V40

Tom, I have always loved the look of the V40s on your Chevelle. I'm looking to get a set for my project 65' post...
66138 likes this.

Chris

65 Malibu SS convertible
65 Malibu 300 Deluxe 2dr post "autocross project"
Check out the build on facebook "Chris-65-Malibu-300-Track-Car-Build"

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 16, 5:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_65 View Post
Tom, I have always loved the look of the V40s on your Chevelle. I'm looking to get a set for my project 65' post...
Thanks Chris! I'm really partial to the V40 with the powder coated centers just like we had on the silver car, but I haven't sold the family on them yet. We'll see how that goes when spring is approaching.
66138 likes this.

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 16, 5:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
Nice project Tom.

Have you ever looked into Clifford Performance 6=8? They make some cool stuff for the inline 6.

ramey
Thanks Ramey! I'll gladly donate this 230 to your pursuit of a powerful straight six. ;-)

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 11:46 AM
Ryan

I saw this car this weekend at Goodguys Charlotte....very clean and cool project. Looking forward to seeing it done.
tommycomfort likes this.

Ryan |

l

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 8:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
I saw this car this weekend at Goodguys Charlotte....very clean and cool project. Looking forward to seeing it done.
Thanks Ryan! We were lucky to find such a nice car for our next project. We've decided that if we hit the lottery we'd keep it as (or close to it) and build another one. Too bad we don't play the lottery...

Our 66 build thread:

The new shop build:
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 16, 10:11 AM
Ryan

Quote:
Thanks Ryan! We were lucky to find such a nice car for our next project. We've decided that if we hit the lottery we'd keep it as (or close to it) and build another one. Too bad we don't play the lottery...
Haha. I hear ya. You're going to enjoy that car more than anyone who would do a basic restoration. Build it how you like it

Ryan |

l

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 16, 10:44 PM
Tech Team

So what wheels did you stay with? I guessed I missed the final decision.

SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, AI, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Auto, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1356 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.