Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 8:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 1966 chevelle...code name "Danger Zone"

Oh man, I remember that same fun.

As a friend told me, "You aren't a true car builder until you have had a nice hot spark from a welder find it's way down your ear."

Me and my wife were able to flip it over, but that was after hours of welding from under it. I guess I am a slow learner.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 9:47 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Question, I am still working on boxing in the frame rails. A little at a time, doing this by running my welder of a neighbors generator. I have the tops pretty much tacked in with no gaps and I have the bottom tacked every 5 inches right now. Can I get a couple of buddies to just help me flip this frame over so I can finished the bottom of the rails. Its not that fun trying to weld laying on your back or on your side with a big ass helmet on.

That is how I did my frame. I had it set up and tacked the upper and lower boxing plates. The I had my better half come out and she and I flipped the frame of the car over so I could finish the bottom of the frame. It worked out pretty well and based on all of the measuring that I did everything worked out well for the frame. Good luck and nice build.
post #63 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post

As a friend told me, "You aren't a true car builder until you have had a nice hot spark from a welder find it's way down your ear."

Me and my wife were able to flip it over, but that was after hours of welding from under it. I guess I am a slow learner.
Yep, I have had some burning smells come from my beard so far. Not to mention I make sure I am wearing steel toed boots too when welding now. I had a piece burn through the top of my shoe, then through my sock, and land perfectly on the nail of my big toe. Man that hurt bad..Still have the black burn mark on the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
That is how I did my frame. I had it set up and tacked the upper and lower boxing plates. The I had my better half come out and she and I flipped the frame of the car over so I could finish the bottom of the frame. It worked out pretty well and based on all of the measuring that I did everything worked out well for the frame. Good luck and nice build.
Thanks, look forward to finishing this part up. I'll get some help and flip it over.

post #64 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 12:54 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post

I guess I'm a true car builder.
While welding in the new floor pans in my 68 I was up under the dash tacking in the front corner when there was an ominous sizzling in my left ear. YIKES!

68 ElCamino
post #65 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 2:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

My car is going to need both vent window. Is it easier to purchase them new, or through eBay and get them refinished. I am eyes a set local to me for $150 for the pair, but they will need work. But new ones run about $600 a pair.. Thoughts? Is there anyone around who refinishes them if I were to sent them out?
post #66 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
My car is going to need both vent window. Is it easier to purchase them new, or through eBay and get them refinished. I am eyes a set local to me for $150 for the pair, but they will need work. But new ones run about $600 a pair.. Thoughts? Is there anyone around who refinishes them if I were to sent them out?
I was always told work with as much original parts as possible. I don't know if that stands true for windows as well.

Build thread-

Album -
post #67 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 2:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I guess I'm a true car builder.
While welding in the new floor pans in my 68 I was up under the dash tacking in the front corner when there was an ominous sizzling in my left ear. YIKES!

Yes, you know the sound! The sizzle, makes you feel like it is going to burn all the way through and come out the other ear hole.
TimP likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #68 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 6:35 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Robert, I have a chrome guy in KC, I can check with him. I bought new frames and converted the rest of my stuff over to them. Got them from Eckler for $93 a piece, they were nice and fit good...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #69 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 2:06 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
I ordered new ones from OPGI. Haven't put them in yet, but can report back in a couple months (hopefully)
post #70 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 3:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Well, this is a big update for me. When I got my chevelle, it was just a shell with no interior, pretty much nothing. Back on October 19th a member on here contacted me regarding parts he no longer needed. This member was 66 Bu, or as I know him, Rodney. For the past 5 months we have been in contact and often talked about our build and anything else on our minds. Rodney told me he had a great deal of parts he no longer had use for and was willing to let me have them. My first thought was, whats the catch, this has to be too good to be true, does the guy want to kill me or something? Turns out there was no catch and he didn't want to kill me..lol...

This past weekend my wife and I made the drive down to his town, which is about a 6.5 hour drive from our house. Turns out Rodney is every bit as great as I had anticipated from talking with him online. He showed me courtesy while I was there and gave me a personal tour of his Chevelle, which I must say is amazing.

I am still in shock that I was able to come across such a good guy, not to mention a guy who was willing to let me just have his old parts. These parts range from, front bucket seats, rear seat, center console, front grille, glass, window assemblies, and much more. I haven't had a chance to inventory all the parts yet. Either way, it puts me in a much better position for my chevelle. Here are some pictures from when I arrived back home. We were too tired from driving so we parked the car in our backyard and went to bed. Also, forgot to mention, he is letting me use his rotisserie which will make things much easier for me.

post #71 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 3:56 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Robert, it was my pleasure... I'm just happy that the parts are going to a good, deserving home and a family that will appreciate them. Like I've told you before, I've lived a blessed life and have more than any one person probably deserves, I don't mind sharing the 'wealth'. lol... I'll do another check around the shop and send you whatever else I come across and if there is anything else I can do to help, well, just let me know... Rodney

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #72 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 4:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Man, I just love car guys. Nothing much else to say.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #73 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Awesome story. Another great point of what a great Chevelle community we have here. Congrats on all the parts! Rodney, way to pay it forward.
66 Bu likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #74 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 2:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

I notice my front two body mounts on my frame are not in the best of shape, usable, but since they are there and easy to access, I thought I would replace them. Are there any tutorials to do this? Im afraid I will mess up the holes location. Also, I know UMI sells replacements, but can I go down to the local hardware store and purchase washers?
post #75 of 145 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 7:56 PM
Tech Team

Good timing. Here's the thread on the body shop section

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-b...les-frame.html

I used hardware store washers. Be sure and sand off the coating prior to welding. I just centered them on the existing holes, marked them, and then used a die grinder to cut out the existing frame holes. I also beveled the edges of the washers/frame to allow for more space/surface area for the weld.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:

Last edited by rpol78; Mar 17th, 17 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 405 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.