1966 chevelle...code name "Danger Zone" - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 10:42 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: 1966 chevelle...code name "Danger Zone"

Not sure what you mean by the brake bolts that come through the firewall. I did my '66 and didn't have to mark any holes. If you are talking about the brake pedal mounting holes that the master cylinder mounts to, the ABC smoothing panel doesn't cover those as you can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
I ordered the ABC Smoothie kits yesterday around noon. I had it in hand in under 24 hours..That is awesome. Worked on the firewall today. Want to smooth it out. For those of you who have done this, what do you do about the marking brake bolts that come through the firewall?

I need to pick up some weld thru primer and then I will be on my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post
Not sure what you mean by the brake bolts that come through the firewall. I did my '66 and didn't have to mark any holes. If you are talking about the brake pedal mounting holes that the master cylinder mounts to, the ABC smoothing panel doesn't cover those as you can see.
Its the bolts for the emergency brake. Here is picture of them. The come through the firewall.

post #33 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Also, do I grind away the seam sealer? It looks like in a couple of spots that the spot welds might end up being over them.

post #34 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 2:58 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Ah, I see what you mean about the e-brake. I took mine out. My plan is to either to an electric e-brake or a handle one in the center console. As for seal sealer, I ground down EVERYTHING, then used Rubber Seal RS512 weld through etching primer
post #35 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 3:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Getting there. I have to say the smell from mig welding is horrible. Maybe its just me. I do have a respirator, but I am not sure how good its doing since I have a beard.

post #36 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 8:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
I ordered the ABC Smoothie kits yesterday around noon. I had it in hand in under 24 hours..That is awesome. Worked on the firewall today. Want to smooth it out. For those of you who have done this, what do you do about the marking brake bolts that come through the firewall?
Do the smoothie kits go right over the exiting firewall? If so, can you just mark & redrilled the mounting holes using the existing holes from under the dash?

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #37 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Alright everyone, I have a feeling these welds are not good. Here is a picture of them, I feel like something is wrong here and I am sure its user error. Here is picture of some tac welds.
Still learning and I can see in some of the spots I am not actually connecting the body to the panel being welded on. Are there any other glaring mistakes I should try to fix. I know I have to go back to those welds and add to them. Does it look like its running too hot, too cold, not enough wire, or too much wire? Again just learning as I go along. I am using shielding gas, as 75%/25 mixture. I forgot to mention, I am using weld thru primer on the back side of the panel and also the firewall.

post #38 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 12:33 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Looks like contamination or not enough shielding gas to me. What weld primer are you using and how much & what pressure is your gas set at?

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #39 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmacozmy View Post
Looks like contamination or not enough shielding gas to me. What weld primer are you using and how much & what pressure is your gas set at?
I am using 3m weld thru primer. The pressure is set to 20psi and the tank is full. I will take another look at it today and try to figure out whats going on. Maybe clean it up a bit
post #40 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

I just went out there and cleaned the tip cut the wire and tried it out again. Shielding gas is coming out, I can here it releasing from the tip when I press on the trigger. I put the welder to the settings that it suggests for that gauge metal. It seems like its giving too much wire so I backed down the wire speed, but still no nice welds. Something is going on here and I can't really figure it out.

Here are the test tacks just to see how it did. Pressure was good, set to 25 this time. 2000 psi in the tank.

post #41 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

These were the welds just last week. Nothing has changed with this. Not sure why its doing this all of a sudden now. I might pack it up and take it over to the shop and see if they can figure out whats going on with it.

post #42 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Alright, I brought the welder into the shop and it was doing the same thing for them. They think the inverter went bad on it. They replaced it will a sealed brand new unit.
post #43 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 4:28 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Well it's not contamination from the weld thru primer if you are getting the same poor results on your test piece there. That looks like not enough shielding gas and or not enough heat as well possibly. I assume it doesn't sound like a smooth sizzle either?

The lower photo you posted, showing the metal tacked to another sheet, those look like the way they are suppose to look. Nice, clean & penetrated correctly. What welder & what settings are you using? Is the tip clogged? Have you measured the wire speed with a timer and ruler to see if it accurate? Many of the cheaper Made in China" welders are not the most accurate units out there... Is the wire you using rusted from sitting a long time in a humid environment? There are probable a 100 different possibilities as well... These are just a few common ones off the top of my head!

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #44 of 145 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 16, 1:04 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Robert, I'm building a '66 right now as well, started with a complete and original 74K mile '66 Malibu. My build is more of a custom build with all of the modern amenities, so, if you need something I may have it. I have alot of 'good' and usable items from the engine bay and interior. For instances, I'm installing a Raingear hidden wiper system so I have the original wiper/washer motor and the complete transmission parts... stuff like that, complete floor shifter assembly, steering column, maybe a console and the original buckets, window regulators, etc... my garage is full so I could hook a brother up and I'm in Mid Missouri... I'd say a lot it, if I'm not going to use it, you can have it if we can figure out a way to get it to you. PM me with a want list and I'll see what I got....

On your firewall, I know some will fill the voids behind it with that expandable foam once completely welded to eliminate vibrations and such...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #45 of 145 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 16, 5:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
Robert, I'm building a '66 right now as well, started with a complete and original 74K mile '66 Malibu. My build is more of a custom build with all of the modern amenities, so, if you need something I may have it. I have alot of 'good' and usable items from the engine bay and interior. For instances, I'm installing a Raingear hidden wiper system so I have the original wiper/washer motor and the complete transmission parts... stuff like that, complete floor shifter assembly, steering column, maybe a console and the original buckets, window regulators, etc... my garage is full so I could hook a brother up and I'm in Mid Missouri... I'd say a lot it, if I'm not going to use it, you can have it if we can figure out a way to get it to you. PM me with a want list and I'll see what I got....

On your firewall, I know some will fill the voids behind it with that expandable foam once completely welded to eliminate vibrations and such...
Thank you very much for the offer. When I get a minute I am going to message you!
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 409 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.