1966 chevelle...code name "Danger Zone" - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 16, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Re: 1966 chevelle...code name "Danger Zone"

Picked up the grill and core today. Looks to be in decent shape. A little wire wheel and it should clean up nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 16, 4:13 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Great looking car to start with! I have a soft spot for fox body mustangs as well!
post #18 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 16, 4:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Thanks, I love fox body mustangs too. If I were to get one again, which is a good possibility I would go for the notch back...Something about those, I just love them.

I have a feeling I will be ordering my first ride tech parts this coming week.

I got the grill all taken apart and am going to soak them in some rust remover then throw a coat of black rust encapsulator on it.

Robert

post #19 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 16, 1:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

What would you guys use on these pieces after cleaning the rust of? Would you shoot them with paint or would you use something like Eastwood black rust encapsulator?

I'm taking all the rain off, I just want to make sure I treat the metal properly then. I have a feeling the Eastwood stuff would work, but would look out of place.

Robert
post #20 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 16, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I am a big fan of SEM products. have a friend who I swear gets kick-backs for all the times he tell me to use SEM or PPG.

SEM Trim Black works very well. Goes on with a nice flat even spray and coverage is excellent.

Here is a pic of my headlight and radiator support painted.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 16, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
I am a big fan of SEM products. have a friend who I swear gets kick-backs for all the times he tell me to use SEM or PPG.

SEM Trim Black works very well. Goes on with a nice flat even spray and coverage is excellent.

That looks nice, Ill look into that. Thanks
Robert
post #22 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 16, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post

Question, did you have any close up shots of it? Does it go on and cover evenly? If there is some pitting in the metal will it show through?

Robert
post #23 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 16, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I will try to get some close up shots of this.

It does cover very evenly. 100x better than a normal spray can.

I would think if there is some pitting, you might be able to use some high build primer first that could work for you.

These were cleaned up by the kids and some evaporust and they really came out nice as well:

Build thread-

Album -
post #24 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 1:48 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

I've used the Eastwood rust encapsulator with some ok results... If you are soaking this in a rust remover like Evaporust, then I would use a product like the SEM trim black over high build primer to hide any pits. From the looks of it those were pretty rusty... there's going to be many pits for sure!

I've found the Eastwood product is more for parts that you can't get all the rust off of and you want to protect it from further rusting.

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #25 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 11:31 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Thanks, I love fox body mustangs too. If I were to get one again, which is a good possibility I would go for the notch back...Something about those, I just love them.

I got the grill all taken apart and am going to soak them in some rust remover then throw a coat of black rust encapsulator on it.

Robert

Sounds great! Just give me a call and I will be happy to help.
post #26 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 16, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Alright been doing electrolysis, evaporust, and vinegar baths on all of these parts. They have cleaned up nice so far. I was planning on replacing the bottom bumper to grille filler, but have decided against that since I bought a welder. I plan on just patching the areas that are needed on it. I used a hammer and dollie for the first time to clean up the edges and take out the dents and bring the natural curve back on the sides. Top grille filler got some high build primer, sanded, and then some new black paint on it. The headlight bezels will be cleaned up more once I get the mig welder going. Need to replace a couple spots on the left side.

Some before and after pictures.

davewho1 likes this.
post #27 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Very nice. Amazing what a little elbow grease and some black spray paint can clean up!
VinceS427bb likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #28 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Way to save those parts. Much better off restoring the original parts no matter how much work it takes.
VinceS427bb likes this.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #29 of 145 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 1:41 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post

Robert
I am in process of acquiring an 84 Four Eye Notch.

Parts cleaned up nicely! I agree saving the original parts may bee time consuming but better off in the long run.
post #30 of 145 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 9:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

I ordered the ABC Smoothie kits yesterday around noon. I had it in hand in under 24 hours..That is awesome. Worked on the firewall today. Want to smooth it out. For those of you who have done this, what do you do about the marking brake bolts that come through the firewall?

I need to pick up some weld thru primer and then I will be on my way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in