Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Tucked away for the winter

Nice and snug
Quote:
Will do.
Dan I can't believe how well your car is coming out and the great quality of the parts that you've chosen,Outstanding .Not wanting to ruin your build thread but can you tell me what brand of garage tent or portable garage is that in the picture ? Lotsa room in there maybe I could replace the two of them that I got with one like that garage in the picture.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Dan I can't believe how well your car is coming out and the great quality of the parts that you've chosen,Outstanding .Not wanting to ruin your build thread but can you tell me what brand of garage tent or portable garage is that in the picture ? Lotsa room in there maybe I could replace the two of them that I got with one like that garage in the picture.
Hey John,

Thanks for the compliments. I have tried to overbuild this car with parts that hopefully won't break. The big word there is hopefully.

The temporary garage is from Shelter Logic. It has been worth every penny, I had to replace the vinyl once, and upgraded it to the thicker option at that point. The camaro and john deere and old car parts like a 10 bolt rear end are sitting in there right now. ShelterLogic Garage-in-a-Box SUV/Truck Shelter, Grey, 13 x 20 x 12 ft.
71350SS likes this.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #393 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_ss View Post
Yeah, I thought about it, but man it would be another few years and a TON more money. I'm just going to finish mine as is, drive it, and maybe down the road I can have it painted. Only takes a weekend to tear apart interior and pull body off.

All the parts for mine + the lift last year........$$
I was looking through your post, and saw the one about "letting the green grow." Then I see the lift, and all those great parts....ummmm, not so much green growing. But well spent I would say!

I can't complain about driving it for awhile, then updating it with paint. It will seem like you have done 2 builds. Get that first car feeling again.

Build thread-

Album -

post #394 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thank you Dan,for that information I have 2 of them tents and the way things are going moneywise I doubt I'll ever get a stick and brick garage but that one looks like it might replace the crappy ones that I have right now.The Harbor Freight one only lasted 9 months and HF wouldn't warrantee it.
If you have to keep anything in there long term you can eliminate a good amount of moisture build-up by parking it on a couple of sheets of plywood. I use the pressure treated 3/4 plywood and they have lasted well over 10 years,they really help.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #395 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 7:00 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
I was looking through your post, and saw the one about "letting the green grow." Then I see the lift, and all those great parts....ummmm, not so much green growing. But well spent I would say!

I can't complain about driving it for awhile, then updating it with paint. It will seem like you have done 2 builds. Get that first car feeling again.
Yeah, I figured I would spend all the money on the performance stuff now. I can't see the paint while I'm driving I sold some stuff to buy the lift....but yeah, I hope to someday do the body and paint like your doing. I'm dying to drive mine!!

post #396 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_ss View Post
Yeah, I figured I would spend all the money on the performance stuff now. I can't see the paint while I'm driving I sold some stuff to buy the lift....but yeah, I hope to someday do the body and paint like your doing. I'm dying to drive mine!!
I am really pushing for mine to be on the road this summer. Need to start putting miles on it.
1965_ss likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #397 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 9:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Thank you Dan,for that information I have 2 of them tents and the way things are going moneywise I doubt I'll ever get a stick and brick garage but that one looks like it might replace the crappy ones that I have right now.The Harbor Freight one only lasted 9 months and HF wouldn't warrantee it.
If you have to keep anything in there long term you can eliminate a good amount of moisture build-up by parking it on a couple of sheets of plywood. I use the pressure treated 3/4 plywood and they have lasted well over 10 years,they really help.
I was thinking that with the plywood until one day I went in there when it was a warm winter day and the condensation was everywhere anyway...along with the snow blowing in from under the door. But it is nice to have and definitely better than storing them outside. So if not regular garage is in the works, these will almost do the trick.
71350SS likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #398 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 19, 4:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got some more pics from the shop today.

You can see the rear trim needs to have some added to it on bottom ends of around the taillights to match up with the piece across the trunk. All trim is going to be painted. You can see the trunk gap is looking good. And the windshield area has been built up to have the same gap for a T shaped gasket to fit into. This will allow for windshield removal if something happens to it.

Windshield - glass is in place and gap is looking good

Rear with no trim on, trunk gap looking good

Passenger side taillight and trim

Driver side taillight and trim

Whole back of car with trim

Build thread-

Album -
post #399 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

And a couple more today from the shop of the rear bumper on the car. Looks good tucked in there.

Build thread-

Album -
post #400 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 5:15 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Looks good tucked in there.
Dan65ss likes this.

post #401 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 3:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

What color are you going to paint the trim? That is my plan also, going with a metallic silver of some kind. That'll probably be next winter though, need to get this running and driving first.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #402 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
What color are you going to paint the trim? That is my plan also, going with a metallic silver of some kind. That'll probably be next winter though, need to get this running and driving first.
Probably going with a satin black.

Build thread-

Album -
post #403 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Like this one.....

John Boggio?s 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Masterpiece Turns Heads Everywhere

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #404 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Yep, like that one, maybe a bit more satin or matte on the finish for the trim. But that is a nice looking car, so if I could duplicate that I would be pretty happy!
Jeff65SS likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #405 of 513 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 2:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got some pics from the shop again this morning. Their goal was to have it in primer last friday, guess they missed by a couple days, but not too bad in my opinion.

427L88, 1965_ss and Hotwire like this.

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in