Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb
Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Wow where did you get all that energy Dan?! What a great start, I'm jeolous. I guess I don't need to feel too bad, you waited 15 years to get at it,, I'm at 8 years and counting! LOL,, mine has been a driver all along but still needs a frame off.
Boy someone really whacked that passenger side front! Like a box of chocolates man, ya never know what you'll find when you bite into these old rides. How was your frame horns? How did it get so much of an impact there and not cause the cowl to buckle? Guess you got lucky.
Great project and a big thanks for sharing, it encourages all of us still on the fence about tackling that tuff nut to crack. Here's to ya, I think you will need a few

My "Time Machine", sold and gone. Looking for another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Nothing redneck about that at all man..I can't count how many bodies I have taken off with engine hoists, jacks and 4x4 blocks, we do what we have to do. I finally broke down and bought a lift and now I'm spoiled

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

yankee- The horns look okay, there are definitely some change marks where it was stretched and straightened at some point. Also the back area behind the rear wheels is stamped with a different vin. So I am guessing it had a tough life long before me. I see yellow paint, I see maroon paint, and I see the red that it is now.

Mike- I was spoiled with my fathers old shop. We didn't have a lift, but we did have a pit. It was an old train garage, so it was BIG. But compared to no garage, I am happy with this one.

post #19 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Yankee- You mean like this?

Although I know Aaron wouldn't approve of such a plain jane beer.

post #20 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Here was some frame rot which I needed to take care of. It was in the same place on both sides of the car. Right below the front of the doors.

And through the repairs...

Driver side-

post #21 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Next was the body mount areas as most of them were corroding away.

Had to weld in a cross piece to be able to use a hole saw to cut the holes out to be big enough for a washer to fit. But first had to also hole saw out the middle of the washer to get to be the correct diameter. By the end I probably should have just bought the set, but one of those pride things I guess.

post #22 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 7:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

I feel lucky that my frame was in such good shape when I started.

One piece at a time and sticking with it seems to be paying off here.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #23 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 7:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Rob-

Stick with me, it is looking better I swear.
post #24 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Since I am such a wimp and love to park my truck in the garage for the winter, and I felt like it was a little bit much to ask my wife to park outside all winter as well just so I could continue to work on a 15 year old project...I had to button the car back up and roll it out into the new temp garage. Good thing I did, as we had record snow fall here and ended with about 120 inches. So I guess it was a good move.

post #25 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 8:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

So that brings me up to 2015...time to separate the body and frame again. I had already cleaned the whole frame with a braided wire wheel and it looked pretty good. But as with all of us, we just have to do things twice...so this summer I got to work sand blasting the whole frame. It came out looking great, but like Mike said in his thread, the biggest frustration was the stupid blaster getting clogged. I spent most of the time cleaning and restarting. But the big compressor was great.

You can see I have done the far side in this picture:

And most of it completed. Didn't do the front suspension because I knew I was going to replace it, and didn't do over the rear wheels cause I knew I was going to be cutting them up.

post #26 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Now it was time to start boxing in the frame. I prepped it with POR15 solvent and painted it with POR15. I masked the edges so I could still weld and not have to grind it back off, but I wanted to get at least one coat of POR inside the frame before closing it in. I had ordered the gloss black...if I were to do it again, probably would have gone with a semi gloss, but it sure does shine!

Here is the ABC performance frame boxing kit.

And here are some picture of the painting and boxing in of the rails.

And the back half:

My welds are looking better-

And you can pick on me for the zebra paint job. I wanted to get things painted inside the frame but wasn't ready to do the front suspension yet and wanted to keep it as a roller. And I knew the narrowing was coming next so no need to paint over the rear wheels...but it does look funny.

But in the end, I was very pleased with how it came out so far. The POR15 paint comes out great.

And one last one of a little helper I had rolling around.

post #27 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Great progress!!

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #28 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Almost caught up to present day. I probably have lost about half the people who started reading, but maybe there will be a picture that someone can use to understand an issue they are having.

I had been stuck in the mud and paralyzed to an extent with trying to figure out which suspension set up to go with. I always had links up to Detroit Speed, UMI, Ride Tech, ABC Performance, and others which would pop into my head. The same was going for brakes...and still is a little bit.

Finally a couple calls to Tony at ABC and I was sold. We ordered up the front suspension and the narrowing kit and mini tubs. Next will be the rear end as I am not sticking with the 10 bolt 3.08 rear end anymore.

Also Aaron was gracious enough to send me over a set of tires to test fit. Like I said before, I love this community. Pay it forward. I will do what I can for others when that time comes. Thank you Aaron.

All of this came the same day, there were boxes and tires everywhere.

Narrowing kit

post #29 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 9:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

So over this last weekend I was able to get the framing set up and the front and rear suspension taken off. Welded on the angle iron after grinding off my nice new POR paint job....did I mention I love doing things twice?

I was even safe and used a spring compressor for the front suspension.

Anyone want a 10 bolt rear end? Right now it is adding to the property value of the neighborhood.

Showing how much room there is now from inside of tire to frame:

Frame prep and measuring-

post #30 of 499 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 15, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

And finally up to date- Just finished cutting up the passenger side frame tonight.

And yes, sparks do burn my feet...

And this one last one is from the plate you weld in across the frame on the inside where the spring usually passes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in