173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #271 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 17, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
Dan, if you don't mind my asking, could you tell me more about your front brakes? They look like C5/C6 units from Kore3. What diameter rotor?
You got it Clint, went with the Z51 setup from Tobin/Kore3. Looks like they are listed at 340mm or 13.38 inches.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 9:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Nice progress Dan, you're putting me to shame!

What sound deadener/heat barrier do you plan to use? I spent alot of time researching and ended up using a product called NOICO sold on Amazon. Its a peel and stick rubber product that come in 2 thicknesses. Costs less than 1/2 of Dynamat. I also plan to use a ThermoTec Felt/Foil blanket over top for the floor to keep the heat out.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #273 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Nice progress Dan, you're putting me to shame!

What sound deadener/heat barrier do you plan to use? I spent alot of time researching and ended up using a product called NOICO sold on Amazon. Its a peel and stick rubber product that come in 2 thicknesses. Costs less than 1/2 of Dynamat. I also plan to use a ThermoTec Felt/Foil blanket over top for the floor to keep the heat out.
Great minds think alike! I also chose the Noico. I ordered up the 80 mil for the floor and 50 for the other panels. I will have to look into the ThermoTec, definitely want to keep the noise and heat down. I have heard too many stories of people restoring old cars only to hate driving them cause there is so much heat getting into the cabin. I don't want to be that guy. I am also hoping that the raptor lining will take a little of the heat/sound away.

Build thread-

Album -

post #274 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

This is what I am going to use on the floor, firewall and trans tunnel over top of the NOICO.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...gaAsb6EALw_wcB

Not super expensive

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #275 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
This is what I am going to use on the floor, firewall and trans tunnel over top of the NOICO.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...gaAsb6EALw_wcB

Not super expensive
The glue and tape cost more than the roll of insulation.

Build thread-

Album -
post #276 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 1:45 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
You got it Clint, went with the Z51 setup from Tobin/Kore3. Looks like they are listed at 340mm or 13.38 inches.
I thought so, Dan. I'm also seriously considering that same set-up. Did you go with Tobin's billet hubs? What front wheels are you looking at using?

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #277 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 2:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
I thought so, Dan. I'm also seriously considering that same set-up. Did you go with Tobin's billet hubs? What front wheels are you looking at using?
Yup, that is what I went with for the fronts. You should give Tobin a call if you haven't already. He was great to talk with about my set up and what I wanted out of it. I went with the C7 rear hub as I went with the MillerBuilt full floater kit and that is what he uses for those. Also through Tobin.

Funny you say that about wheels. Man that has got to be one of the hardest things to pick for a car. And the cost is all over the place, from 150-1500 per wheel. I get wrapped into thinking about Forgelines all the time. But also like the old school look of a 5 spoke. But on another day I will find myself looking at big rally wheels. So to not answer your question, I don't know yet, and I need to measure and get them ordered up...and I can't make the decision.

Build thread-

Album -
post #278 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 4:12 PM
Clint

Quote:
Yup, that is what I went with for the fronts. You should give Tobin a call if you haven't already. He was great to talk with about my set up and what I wanted out of it. I went with the C7 rear hub as I went with the MillerBuilt full floater kit and that is what he uses for those. Also through Tobin.

Funny you say that about wheels. Man that has got to be one of the hardest things to pick for a car. And the cost is all over the place, from 150-1500 per wheel. I get wrapped into thinking about Forgelines all the time. But also like the old school look of a 5 spoke. But on another day I will find myself looking at big rally wheels. So to not answer your question, I don't know yet, and I need to measure and get them ordered up...and I can't make the decision.
The main reason I asked what wheels is that those calipers have quite a bit of rotor overhang and as a result, caliper to wheel spoke clearance can be an issue. If you can afford Forgelines, it won't be a problem. However, I have Torq Thrust VN215's and for them to fit the C6 Z51 calipers I plan to run, will require a wheel spacer for adequate clearance between the wheel spokes and calipers. Hopefully, I can get by with 1/4" spacers because Tobin's billet hubs offer a 1/4" track reduction,on each side. If so, my track width would stay the same.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #279 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
The main reason I asked what wheels is that those calipers have quite a bit of rotor overhang and as a result, caliper to wheel spoke clearance can be an issue. If you can afford Forgelines, it won't be a problem. However, I have Torq Thrust VN215's and for them to fit the C6 Z51 calipers I plan to run, will require a wheel spacer for adequate clearance between the wheel spokes and calipers. Hopefully, I can get by with 1/4" spacers because Tobin's billet hubs offer a 1/4" track reduction,on each side. If so, my track width would stay the same.
Clint,

When talking to Tobin he guided me towards Billet Specialties if I was going to go with a torque thrust style wheel. He said they worked well with him and know the dimensions that his setup requires. I was also looking at the same ones that Tom runs. I think they are the Vintage Wheel Works V40 or 45. But Tobin thought those might have some spacing issues.

Those front calipers are big!

Build thread-

Album -
post #280 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 4:48 PM
Clint

I'm trying to avoid having to buy new wheels,Dan. FWIW, there's not that big a difference in cost between Kore3's C6 Z51 brake kit and some Wilwoods.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #281 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid having to buy new wheels,Dan. FWIW, there's not that big a difference in cost between Kore3's C6 Z51 brake kit and some Wilwoods.
I had talked to some people about the wilwoods, a few things were brought up.

1- They use NPT fittings, some people do not like that idea.
2- Parts availability, need to go to them to get rotors or shoes.

Build thread-

Album -
post #282 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 5:35 PM
Clint

Quote:
I had talked to some people about the wilwoods, a few things were brought up.

1- They use NPT fittings, some people do not like that idea.
2- Parts availability, need to go to them to get rotors or shoes.
I know but Baer pricing is out of my budget, now. Funny thing, I was a Baer Wholesale/Distributor for about five years and now I can't afford their stuff.
I'm pretty sure I can keep my 18x8 front wheels, even if I have to space them out a little. 18x9's might be a different story,though.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #283 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 6:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
I know but Baer pricing is out of my budget, now. Funny thing, I was a Baer Wholesale/Distributor for about five years and now I can't afford their stuff.
I'm pretty sure I can keep my 18x8 front wheels, even if I have to space them out a little. 18x9's might be a different story,though.
Can't find a used set of a ZL1 or a cts-v?

Build thread-

Album -
post #284 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 6:54 PM
Clint

Quote:
Can't find a used set of a ZL1 or a cts-v?
I would definitely have to buy new wheels with those brakes.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #285 of 509 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

And today was sound deadener day. Got the passenger side done. Took these pics during the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996_1507249159390.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	481690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997_1507249171384.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	481698  

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in