65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt - Page 16 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #226 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 1:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

I ordered up my engine wiring harness today. I went with PSI Conversions HAR 1059 with the added AC recognition line in it. Sounds like they have a few in stock so should be getting here next week sometime.

And like Mike McMasters, I hate to do things over....but I think I am going to swap out the LS7 clutch with something else before even using it. I hate to have to go back in soon after the build to replace it. So I am looking at going with an RST Mcleod and flywheel. Oh well, better to do it now than soon after completion. So if anyone wants an LS7 clutch and flywheel I will probably have one available.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 8:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Hello David. I would love to borrow those templates. I live in Grafton MA. South East of Worcester. Do you have any pictures of your finished dash?
Unfortunately, the El Camino is still in-process so I have no completed photos. These are the best I can do right now. I had borrowed home-made templates from another TC member but I was skeptical about the location of the lines I scribed on my primed dash. You can see those lines in the two close-ups and how far off they would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Dave, wow that's what's needed to do this job! The cutout is shaped much different than I envisioned.

Any chance I could talk you into making templates out of something flexible and mailing them to me? Something like card stock or an old file folder? I'll private message you my address if agreeable.
Jeff, making a template out of something flat/flexible would be nearly impossible to do given the compound curves/shape of the dash where they mount. The best I can do is mail my dash templates to Dan and when he's done he could forward them to you. When you're done with them you could return them to me. That's the best I can do if you both are agreeable to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DashVentHole_R1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	449969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DashVentHole_R2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	449977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DashVentHole_L1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	449985  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #228 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Unfortunately, the El Camino is still in-process so I have no completed photos. These are the best I can do right now. I had borrowed home-made templates from another TC member but I was skeptical about the location of the lines I scribed on my primed dash. You can see those lines in the two close-ups and how far off they would have been.

Jeff, making a template out of something flat/flexible would be nearly impossible to do given the compound curves/shape of the dash where they mount. The best I can do is mail my dash templates to Dan and when he's done he could forward them to you. When you're done with them you could return them to me. That's the best I can do if you both are agreeable to that.
Just another example of why I love the Chevelle community so much. I would do that.

Build thread-

Album -

post #229 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 3:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Not a bad weekend of work on the car. Bunch of things finished that I had been putting off.

Both trunk body mounts/braces are welded in.
Finished welding in the inner wheel wells. They were just tacked in and I wanted to fully weld them to the trunk floor.
Welded in the trunk to the lower trunk extensions/drop offs or whatever you call them on the lower portion of the rear trunk from wheel well to below the tail lights.
Cleaned and vacuumed it all up as it was full of sanding dust and welding slag. So it is easier to work in again.
Took the body off the frame again so I could complete all the stuff needed on the frame without having to be working on my back the whole time. So next is rear coil over mounts. Rear end setup and suspension/brake install. Front suspension/brake setup and install. Brake lines and fuel lines. Vintage air mock up. Trans cross member mock up and adjustment, then weld it some kind of mount.
Also need to finish welding in the trans tunnel. Should be easier now that it is apart.
Then back together and run some wiring and get some wheels measured and ordered up.

Long to do list, but moving along.

Build thread-

Album -
post #230 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post

Dave/Dan, that will work for me. And many thanks! Like I said that hole is way more detailed than I thought! I'll PM my address to Dan.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #231 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Dave/Dan, that will work for me. And many thanks! Like I said that hole is way more detailed than I thought! I'll PM my address to Dan.

That works. I will etch them out and then send them along to you.

Build thread-

Album -
post #232 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 17, 4:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Ordered up my RST clutch and flywheel yesterday. Brother got here today, so we should have a good week of car work to do. Hope to get through a bunch of my punch list.

Build thread-

Album -
post #233 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got a good start to the weekend. We got the 9 inch and floater setup all completed. Also got the rear suspension installed loosely. I will get some pics posted up soon, but it is the Viking coilovers and ABC performance rear arms.

Build thread-

Album -
post #234 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 9:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

I'm baaaaack. I've read this one and a half times already. Plan to read it again tonight and I have no doubt I'll refer back to it for certain things in the future. You've addressed a couple concerns of mine including touching on a/c vents (non a/c car here too), vendor parts choosing, seats (leaning heavily towards TMI or something like what DSE does), plus a few other things. It's like being in class and someone asks the same couple questions you were about to, so it helps a lot for me.
David Bates and Dan65ss like this.

I drive...a 65
post #235 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 8:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got the lower A arms on yesterday. Had a couple of "help you in the garage" Father's day coupons I received yesterday, so I put those to good use. Today I can get the uppers and spindles on today. Everything takes longer than you think. I look at it and it seems like just a couple bolts and it will slide right together. Then you end up fighting with it and beating on it until it screams uncle and goes into place. But that is some of the fun with throwing new parts at old cars. It's all in the journey. PSI wiring harness came in on Saturday, great guys to work with and super fast delivery. Speartech was saying 6-8 weeks of backlog, PSI had it out in 2 days. Hopefully it works well when I get to that point.

Build thread-

Album -
post #236 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Good day again today. Got the rest of the front suspension on, steering linkage, muscle bar, and started on the front brakes. Got the hubs and caliper mounting brackets installed. Hope to get to the trans cross member tomorrow. Going to try to figure out some driveline angles and get it somewhat close to ride height. Then throw the brake rotors and calipers on there. Feels like I am making some solid progress, but still a TON to do.

Build thread-

Album -
post #237 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Put the car back together to get some fitment on the trans and rear at ride height, then took it back apart to get the trans cross member in. Used the original piece and cut the ends off, then welded angle iron to the boxed in frame and was able to make the old cross member work.

Hoping for brakes and brake lines tomorrow.

Build thread-

Album -
post #238 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 17, 9:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Well we didn't get to the brake lines yesterday, the prep and drying time for the areas which needed painting took a lot of time. But the frame is completely painted now. Had to paint the trunk body mounts and the trans cross member and brackets. Came out pretty good.

We were also able to get the front brakes on, so today "should" be back brakes and lines. Then we might tackle the fuel tank and pump install along with the fuel lines.

Any advice on a driveshaft company? I have been looking and was recommended to Denny's...and not for the super slam

Anyone have a wheel spacing measuring tool they want to let me borrow so I can figure out the backspacing and get some wheels ordered up?

Build thread-

Album -
post #239 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Well we got the back brake lines created and installed. They came out good, not as classy as Mike McMasters, but should be good. I owe the thread some pics, just haven't transferred them from my phone yet.

It was a very cool week last week. First time I had ever taken time off work in order to just work on the car. My brother was in town and we worked about 12 hours a day on it. Was great for some bonding and story telling, along with getting some work done on the car. He is a couple years older than me, and I bought the car before I had a license, so he was the first one to drive it back then. I think he wanted to be part of the resto. It was great to have him around to bounce ideas off or work through things like understanding pinion angles and driveline angles and such. Of course I wanted to get more done while he was here, but things always take longer than I think they should. So this week is back to work and just working on it at night, so it will slow down some more.

But I did get some Raptor lining delivered for when the time is right to put that on the underside. And also the Mcleod clutch came in, so I can install that. Also think I can get a wheel measuring tool from a friend in a couple weeks, so we will see how that goes to get things ordered up.

Build thread-

Album -
post #240 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Okay, here are some pictures of the last couple weeks for people who want to see.

Taking it back apart to put in the RST clutch.

New RST McLeod clutch and flywheel. Figured I should do this before getting everything into the car and then need to pull it back out.

Rear suspension and 9 inch came out good. Viking coilovers and ABC Performance suspension pieces. Strange rear end. Millerbuilt full floater kit. Z51 corvette brakes with emergency brake setup. NiCopp lines.

Trans cross member in. Cut the ends off, flattened the new ends. Welded in 6" angle iron and painted it all up.

Picture of how much room I have with the old tires on the new narrowed rear.

Front suspension going together- it's nice being able to get rid of some boxes that have been around for awhile, and also working with nice new parts is very nice.

And a little Father's Day helper.

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in