65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt - Page 15 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #211 of 508 (permalink) Old May 9th, 17, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

For pilot bearings I would pack them full of grease then use a socket that fit tightly plus an extension. Tapping the end of the extension pressurizes the grease causing the pilot bearing to back right out.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 508 (permalink) Old May 10th, 17, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
For pilot bearings I would pack them full of grease then use a socket that fit tightly plus an extension. Tapping the end of the extension pressurizes the grease causing the pilot bearing to back right out.
Yup, same idea, just no grease to clean up at the end.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
post #213 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Seems like slow moving on the car so far this year. Got my pushrods finally so the engine is buttoned back up. Was able to throw the new clutch on and stick the trans and engine into the car. The speed engineering headers fit great so far. Cut up the trans tunnel to get the t56 to start to fit. Trying to understand pinion angles now before I complete the tunnel. Been working on the trunk body mounts as well. With the mini tubs in there the originals don't fit so they need to be changed a bit. Lots of under and back to the vise to get things correct. Mechanic's yoga...

Was a nice motivation when I got the motor and trans in there.

I was going to sand blast the entire interior, but I opted instead to try out a product called Corroseal. Paint it on thick, goes on white and turns black when it converts the rust to oxide. Now I can just paint over it. I was dreading getting up under the dash to sand blast, so hopefully this isn't too bad and has stopped things from rusting for another bunch of years. Once I mock up the vintage air and the wiring I will go back and paint it with upol or lizard skin or something like that I think.

Here are a couple pictures of the progress.

Build thread-

Album -

post #214 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got my remaining parts to finish up the rear end build. Time to get that put together and under the car. Still have to weld in the coil over mounts on the frame. Also need to weld on a couple of brake line tabs onto the rear end. Center the rear end under the car and measure for some wheels. Will get the front suspension on soon enough.

I did get the passenger side trunk body brace and frame mount welded in this weekend. Good to have that one done, now to tackle the other side.

I seem to be staying away from the wiring and vintage air mock up under the dash. Must be I don't want to deal with that quite yet.

Build thread-

Album -
post #215 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 7:14 AM
Tech Team
Michael

You going to mock up the VA with the plastic plug, or you buying a full kit to do it?

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #216 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
You going to mock up the VA with the plastic plug, or you buying a full kit to do it?
I already bought the full version. I was contemplating just the box, but went all in. I still don't like the vent options for the 65s. Hopefully can be creative and figure something else out. But space gets tight behind the dash pretty quickly.

Build thread-

Album -
post #217 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 1:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I just got my VA kit last week. I got the formed firewall cover rather than use the plastic one that comes with the kit because it looks cheesey. Its actually a Detroit Speed piece, looks just like the stock heater core/fan box but is only about 1/4" - 3/8" deep. Going to have it painted to match the firewall, should look good.

I got the Sanden SD7 compressor rather than the usual Sanden that comes with the kit. The hose ports are on the side of the case rather then sticking straight up out of the rear. Should look a little cleaner.

I am also unsure what to do for the A/C vents. May buy stock replacement that fit into the lower corner of the dash. Kind of expensive but will look good. Still not sure what to do about the dash center vents.
Rex Auftinn likes this.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #218 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Sorry, I thought you meant had I just bought the mock up box or the whole kit. I bought the whole kit. I went with the regular compressor, I also have the compressor off the crate motor. I don't know what I am going to do with the heater core hole. Might look at that Detroit Speed one. I was also just contemplating making my own.

What are you going to do about the heater controls?

Those lower corner vents fit 65s? I know they do the 66+ but don't know if the angles are the same on those ends. I haven't look into it that much. Center vent you could get an AC dash bezel and use, but I don't know how easy the piping is going to route up to that spot.

Build thread-

Album -
post #219 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 3:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I also ordered up some NiCopp 3/8" line to try to make some fuel lines out of. I have some of this already for the brake lines, but was thinking about using PTFE lines for the fuel. I will give this a try and see if I like how it turns out.

Build thread-

Album -
post #220 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 3:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I did a little research and I think 64-65 lower dash vents are similar to each other. don't think the 66-67 will work due to the compound angles of the dash.

Here's a couple of pics of the 64-65, I think you could use a holesaw and get close, die grinder to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccrp-1107-04-1965-chevy-chevelle.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	449545   Click image for larger version

Name:	sucp_1005_04+hotchkis_equipped_1965_chevelle_wagon+interior.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	449553  

Jeff Evans
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #221 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Ah nice find. I still do not like that plastic piece around it, makes it look like such an afterthought.

Build thread-

Album -
post #222 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 4:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Guess we don't have alot of choices, some of the VA and Classic Auto Air stuff looks pretty cheap too.

Jeff Evans
post #223 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 8:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Dan, Where in MA are you? I cut the dash vent holes in my 65 El Camino using original AC dash pieces as templates. I used them to mark up my dash and then cut the openings using a body saw. Took about five minutes each plus another five minutes for finish filing/smoothing. If you'd like to borrow them, let me know. Reproduction vent housings are available on ebay and are a good fit. The originals I have are very brittle and not worth restoring/using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash_Vent_Template_Both_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	449745   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_Vents_1965_New_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	449753  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #224 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 8:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Dan, Where in MA are you? I cut the dash vent holes in my 65 El Camino using original AC dash pieces as templates. I used them to mark up my dash and then cut the openings using a body saw. Took about five minutes each plus another five minutes for finish filing/smoothing. If you'd like to borrow them, let me know. Reproduction vent housings are available on ebay and are a good fit. The originals I have are very brittle and not worth restoring/using.
Hello David. I would love to borrow those templates. I live in Grafton MA. South East of Worcester. Do you have any pictures of your finished dash?

Build thread-

Album -
post #225 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 8:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dave, wow that's what's needed to do this job! The cutout is shaped much different than I envisioned.

Any chance I could talk you into making templates out of something flexible and mailing them to me? Something like card stock or an old file folder? I'll private message you my address if agreeable.

Jeff Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in