65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt - Page 14 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #196 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Getting back into car mode. Should have it back in the garage within the next couple weeks.

Received my clutch master and adapter plate from Bowler with the help of Tom.

Received my new fuel tank and hardware. Went with a cheap on from Rock Auto that I will add in my phantom 340 aeromotive kit.

Needed a new oil pickup for the AutoKraft oil pan, so that came in this week. Thanks Mike McMasters for the pan.

Ordered up a set of long tubes from Speed Engineering. I know some have said these work and some have said they don't, but for the price I felt like it was a good option to try them out.

Will be ordering up a radiator very soon...

Plan is to have this car running/driving by end of summer. Seat bolted to the floor and no windshield type of driving.
tommycomfort likes this.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 17, 4:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

My clutch and brake pedal assembly came in today... Work will be starting soon.

Build thread-

Album -
post #198 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

At some point I have to start putting these parts onto/into this car instead of just collecting parts. Get through this March snow storm and we can get into spring and start making some progress.

I get to help out my buddy set up his car for the World Of Wheels show in Boston at the end of the month. That should be fun.

Headers should be here Friday.

Nothing much to say, just felt like updating my thread I guess.
tommycomfort likes this.

Build thread-

Album -

post #199 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 12:02 AM
Tech Team

Dan, What radiator are you going with? I'd like to have power seats too but I keep hearing the GTO seats sit too high. So far I'm planning on using original buckets but may use the TMI foam and seat covers. I like the look of the sport seats and sport r seats. I'm not real fond of the look of the XR.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #200 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Dan, What radiator are you going with? I'd like to have power seats too but I keep hearing the GTO seats sit too high. So far I'm planning on using original buckets but may use the TMI foam and seat covers. I like the look of the sport seats and sport r seats. I'm not real fond of the look of the XR.
Right now I am leaning towards the C&R Radiator. I asked for Tom's advice and he gave it, so I hate not to use that. It is a pretty expensive option compared to some other options out there, but when it comes with the stamp of approval from Tom, I might just have to go that route.

I have decided I am way ahead of myself to be thinking about seats/interior, so I have back burner-ed that for now. I have read the same as you about the GTO seats. And I like the look of the sport or sport-r options as well...and dislike the XR look. So I guess for interiors we are thinking alike. What about the CTS-V coupe? Those must have power and still lean forward to get into the back seats...

For right now if I do get this running this year, I will just use my old seat for some test rides.
tommycomfort likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #201 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 4:23 PM
Tech Team

Dan are you thinking the extra coolers (i.e. oil and power steering) at $1799 or the down flow for $1100?

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #202 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 6:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Dan are you thinking the extra coolers (i.e. oil and power steering) at $1799 or the down flow for $1100?
Yup, the extra coolers and the cross flow for the steeper price.

Build thread-

Album -
post #203 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 17, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Dan,

Every time I talk to that Farrington guy I seem to spend money too.I may need to re-evaluate our friendship
tommycomfort and Dan65ss like this.

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #204 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 9:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Just like Mike said...talk to that Farrington character and spend more money.

I talked with Tom again, and ordered up the C&R radiator. I think this is the last "big" item I need right now. I do still need to order up some fuel lines.

https://www.crracing.com/chevelle_ra...l_cooler_power

Fuel regulator and adapters got here last night. Headers should be here today if the storm didn't disrupt shipping too much.

Engine and Trans will ship out Monday.

Things are moving forward, just have to get some of these things added back into the car. Going to be a fun and busy summer.

Thanks again Tom.

Build thread-

Album -
post #205 of 509 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

And the headers arrived.

And here is the parts pile I need to get into this car. Can't wait to see those boxes disappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headers.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	429498   Click image for larger version

Name:	partspile.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	429506  

Build thread-

Album -
post #206 of 509 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Wow, it has been over a month since I updated this last. The UPS man has been wearing a path up my driveway.

I got the engine and trans, gave them a quick test fit just cause I wanted to do something.

But when removing the intake to use the engine lift plate I noticed what looked to be some wear on the cam.

So apart it came, just what I was trying to stay away from...oh well. It's all in good hobby fun to get to know all parts of your car.

Wiring harness all tagged for future use or sale.

And a little cleaning.

Needed to take the oil pan off anyway to get the AutoKraft pan on there.

And all cleaned up ready for the new cam and lifters.

Couple of pictures of the worn out cam. This was a Comp Cam that must have been from their bad batch of cores. Supposed to only have 12k miles on it.

And the LS7 lifters were starting to pit as well.

Build thread-

Album -
post #207 of 509 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

And more updates--

Talked with Martin Smallwood and ordered up a new cam and a set of Johnson 2110r lifters...waiting for those to ship so I can button this back together and move on to the next steps. Engine disassembly ended up taking up about the whole garage with parts everywhere.

I did start working on the putting the rear end together.

Here is the parts pile for the Millerbuilt full floater.

Had to take a shot of this. Made in USA...love it!

Some test fitting on the bracket with the Torino ends.

And loosely put together to make sure I could do it.

And on with the parking brake assembly. It was a beautiful day so I moved my shop outdoors. Plus the engine is still taking up the whole garage.

Wouldn't you know it, UPS showed up again. Thanks to Tom for hooking me up and convincing me I needed one of these.

Even did some test fitting of the hydoboost and the clutch master cylinder.

And that is where we stand right now. Also had a trip to DC over spring break with the family. Great to see the Nations Capital.

And great to see the Iwo Jima Memorial. Semper Fi!
tommycomfort likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #208 of 509 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 17, 2:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I see the last two pictures didn't come through. Must have changed something after uploading. Sorry about that.

Cam came in and got that installed with the Johnson 2110r lifters. Measured the pushrods and have them ordered up. Also got the autokraft pan installed. Getting closer to having the engine back together. Also received my new clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder.

Water pump went in the duramax, so time to do some regular maintenance on that instead of cool chevelle stuff.

From last post-

Build thread-

Album -
post #209 of 509 (permalink) Old May 6th, 17, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I feel like all winter I plan and order and make sure I have things to work on when spring rolls around. But each year I end up waiting on parts to show up once I get started. So frustrating. Weeks seem to fly by and more weekends come and go without real progress happening. And working in a small garage once I get a few projects going, I can't do too much else until I get them finished and buttoned up so I can move to the next.

Waiting on pushrods - going with some tapered fit ones after measuring them up last weekend. Thought they were ordered up earlier this week so I could install them this weekend and be done with the motor...nope.

Waiting on 2 washers for the rear end to finish putting that together. Again, thought they were on their way to be here this week....nope.

And the damn rain...with the chevelle taking up all the garage I have to work on the truck outside, so when it rains that isn't that fun. So the water pump is still not installed.

Rant over. Thanks for tuning in.

Build thread-

Album -
post #210 of 509 (permalink) Old May 7th, 17, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I used the paper towel method to remove the old pilot bearing. Took quite a long time and must have been 4 paper towels packed in there, and some heat before it started to move, but it worked.

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in