Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 507 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 16, 8:40 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Looks good!

64 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #168 of 507 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 16, 8:06 PM

Dan,
I just stumbled upon your thread. I read it from the first page to the last. I have a 65 2dr hardtop that I've owned for 7 years and just began working on now. I ordered the mini tub kit and boxing kit from abc performance. I just began installing it last weekend. I my power combo is going to be a 327 with a viper t-56. I have new quarters,floors,complete trunk floor, and a few other miscellaneous panels just waiting to be installed. Your build has been very inspiring and educational. Maybe I'll start a thread of my own. It's hard enough to make time to do the work let alone document it all on a forum. I give you and others like you a tremendous amount of credit. Keep up the great work and I look foward to more updates

Frank

post #169 of 507 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 8:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruopoli View Post
Dan,
I just stumbled upon your thread. I read it from the first page to the last. I have a 65 2dr hardtop that I've owned for 7 years and just began working on now. I ordered the mini tub kit and boxing kit from abc performance. I just began installing it last weekend. I my power combo is going to be a 327 with a viper t-56. I have new quarters,floors,complete trunk floor, and a few other miscellaneous panels just waiting to be installed. Your build has been very inspiring and educational. Maybe I'll start a thread of my own. It's hard enough to make time to do the work let alone document it all on a forum. I give you and others like you a tremendous amount of credit. Keep up the great work and I look foward to more updates

Frank
Hello Frank,

Glad you found my thread, and also glad you found it helpful. It is a good way to keep motivation and provide others with "maybe" some helpful hints or pictures of areas they are stuck on. But I agree, finding time for it is a little difficult. I am usually good for about once a month during the summer time.

Your combo sounds like it will be a fun one. Tony at ABC has been great to work with. Everyone on the site have been great. If I can pay it forward with anything, let me know and I will try to help you out.

Best of luck with your project.

Dan

Build thread-

Album -
post #170 of 507 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 7:21 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Very nice work indeed!!!
post #171 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Mercado View Post
Very nice work indeed!!!
Thanks Freddy. I have fun working on it and figuring things out. Seems like I spend a large amount of time just staring at things working through them in my head.

Build thread-

Album -
post #172 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Trying to get my next list of parts together:

First off, I picked up a forged ls3 416 and tick level 2 t56 - Used. Engine made 500/475 to the wheels. Not a T56 magnum, but couldn't pass it up.

So with that said, looking at getting more parts to stockpile over the winter.

What are people using for radiators on their LS swaps? I see that Tommycomfort uses C&R, what are others using? Any recommendations?

Probably going to use the Hooker set up for motor mounts and headers. Going to try to work my cross member into a usable setup with the boxed frame and switching to the T56. We will see about that.

Tried to finish up the trunk area before putting it away for the winter, but ran out of welding wire...guess that is a sign.

Build thread-

Album -
post #173 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 9:39 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Probably going to use the Hooker set up for motor mounts and headers. Going to try to work my cross member into a usable setup with the boxed frame and switching to the T56. We will see about that.
I'm using the Hooker mounts/headers and the factory cross member. If you're using the 416 I'm not sure the Holley -2 oil pan will work since it's for stock stroked engines only. So you may want to check that before you buy the oil pan and mounts. You may have to clearance an oil pan for the tie rod end clearance since the mounts set the engine pretty low.

My boxing is a little different in that I'm using the boxing from an El Camino frame. For the cross member I modified the El Camino/Convertible cross member by moving the mount tab down for the T56. I also made some frame brackets similar to what the factory used on the boxed frames. You may be able to take the factory cross member, shorten it and do something similar for the mounts. Take a look at the last page on my build thread and you can see what I have mocked up.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #174 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 9:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
I'm using the Hooker mounts/headers and the factory cross member. If you're using the 416 I'm not sure the Holley -2 oil pan will work since it's for stock stroked engines only. So you may want to check that before you buy the oil pan and mounts. You may have to clearance an oil pan for the tie rod end clearance since the mounts set the engine pretty low.

My boxing is a little different in that I'm using the boxing from an El Camino frame. For the cross member I modified the El Camino/Convertible cross member by moving the mount tab down for the T56. I also made some frame brackets similar to what the factory used on the boxed frames. You may be able to take the factory cross member, shorten it and do something similar for the mounts. Take a look at the last page on my build thread and you can see what I have mocked up.
I have been reading and re-reading your thread. The 416 has an F-body pan right now, like you said I might end up just having to clearance that. Thanks for the reminder before I went off and bought the holley pan

Build thread-

Album -
post #175 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Dan,

The Mast Motorsports pan will work with your 4" stroke. Other options would be a Canton or an Autokraft. Send me a pm if you are interested in an Autokraft.I have a brand new one, just need to get the oil pickup from Autokraft. I'm not using it so I will make you a great deal.

Autokraft.org* |* Autokraft Race Cars and Restorations* |* Eau Claire, WI

Mike

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #176 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 1:00 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Nice thread, Dan, and good work. I have a few 65's of my own. I'm not taking them to the level you are but I enjoy working on them just the same. I'm heading north Saturday to pick up a 64SS I just bought. Excited to get it home.

Richard

65 Chevelle SS Convertible 350 4 speed Muncie...hopefully complete in another year or so
65 Chevelle SS hardtop 396, 4 speed
65 Chevelle Malibu Convertible, 350/TH350
64 Chevelle Malibu 2dr hardtop
64 Chevelle SS, 350/450hp, Muncie M21
post #177 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McMasters View Post
Dan,

The Mast Motorsports pan will work with your 4" stroke. Other options would be a Canton or an Autokraft. Send me a pm if you are interested in an Autokraft.I have a brand new one, just need to get the oil pickup from Autokraft. I'm not using it so I will make you a great deal.

Autokraft.org* |* Autokraft Race Cars and Restorations* |* Eau Claire, WI

Mike
Mike- Thanks for the other options as well. I will send you over a PM and we can discuss the Autokraft pan. Love this site and the people on it!!

Build thread-

Album -
post #178 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 1:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Nice thread, Dan, and good work. I have a few 65's of my own. I'm not taking them to the level you are but I enjoy working on them just the same. I'm heading north Saturday to pick up a 64SS I just bought. Excited to get it home.

Richard
Thanks Richard. Great stable of 65's you have there. I am a firm believer in doing whatever people want to do to their cars in order to keep the interest there. From mild to wild as long as people are tinkering on them, I think it is great.

Build thread-

Album -
post #179 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

What are people using for vents on their gas tanks and rear ends?

Something like this?
https://www.iimuch.com/products/fuelvent2dm or https://www.iimuch.com/collections/f...ucts/fuelvent2

Build thread-

Album -
post #180 of 507 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 1:47 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Dan,
I bought the second one that you linked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in