Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #136 of 508 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 16, 2:46 PM
Team Member
Mike

Re: 65 SS Chitvelle - My PT attempt

Spending some money
I'm almost done with my trunk area. I feel your pain. I've absolutely hated this portion of the project. I ripped everything out and made 22" wide tubs. Believe it or not, I still have 27" between wheel wells.
I've had the back seat in and out so many times checking the fit. It's just a cumbersome job. One that I cant wait to be done with.
When I loose motivation, I come here and view projects like this. Everything looks great. Keep up the progress!

_________
Mike
65 'ChevHell' Build Thread ~>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 508 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 16, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post
Spending some money
I'm almost done with my trunk area. I feel your pain. I've absolutely hated this portion of the project. I ripped everything out and made 22" wide tubs. Believe it or not, I still have 27" between wheel wells.
I've had the back seat in and out so many times checking the fit. It's just a cumbersome job. One that I cant wait to be done with.
When I loose motivation, I come here and view projects like this. Everything looks great. Keep up the progress!
Thanks Mike! I agree about the motivation from here. I visit Mike McMasters build thread a couple times a week to see what he did compared to what I am doing wrong

As for yours, you have some fab skills that amaze me. I have to remind myself that this is my first build, and I am by no means a professional, so sometimes that is a good as I am going to get...trying to keep the fun aspect in there. Hopefully it will stay together long enough to do a couple smoky donuts!

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
post #138 of 508 (permalink) Old May 27th, 16, 2:30 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Looks great. I personally like the photo when you put it away for the winter. Looks good that low.
Dan65ss likes this.

post #139 of 508 (permalink) Old May 27th, 16, 4:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
Looks great. I personally like the photo when you put it away for the winter. Looks good that low.
All packed away. Someday I will actually have to find a new place to put this...don't have to worry about that just yet though.

RideTech_Ryan likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #140 of 508 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 2:08 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
All packed away. Someday I will actually have to find a new place to put this...don't have to worry about that just yet though.

well you at least have a temporary place to tuck her in. Definitely better than the alternative.
post #141 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Hello,

Been awhile since I updated this thread. Had the password issue on the site so had to get that sorted out. Been working steadily on this and spending money getting some big parts ordered up. You will see some of them in the following updates.

The quarter panels were scaring me off, but finally I got my nerve up and started in on them, after I had aligned the new door which took me a LONG time. (if anyone has a good way to get to those screws on the door side while hinges are on the vehicle I would love to hear it)

Inner wheelwells (Mini tubs)

I was able to get the shoulder on the passenger side firewall/cowl corrected. Even had some help from the kids.

Kids helped clean up the old hood hinges and painted them with some SEM Trim Black

Build thread-

Album -
post #142 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

This nice little piece showed up from ABC performance. (thanks Tony)

Strange 9" narrowed with a pro iron center section and 3.90 gears.

Rear suspension parts from ABC as well. Viking double adjustable coil overs and swaybar along with the trailing arms.

Build thread-

Album -
post #143 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Had some help show up for a week. My brother and family came to MA on their travels. Pretty cool rig with a duramax in it.

Drekoushranada likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #144 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Door alignment started-

Started the work on the rear quarters-

And the cutting begins-

Surface rust taken care of and some pre-fitting of the outer wheelwell

Looks good in black...

Build thread-

Album -
post #145 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
I know there are a million threads and opinions about body panels.

But what do people have for experience with companies...who to go with right now compared to stay away? Does truck freight kill you for shipping costs from everyone?

Aaron- I knew you were keeping up!
Depending on how close you are to ct there's two places. Auto body specialties and ground up. Got my goodmark quarters from auto body specialties. No truck freight used my trailer.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #146 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 1:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
Depending on how close you are to ct there's two places. Auto body specialties and ground up. Got my goodmark quarters from auto body specialties. No truck freight used my trailer.
I went with Ground Up.

Build thread-

Album -
post #147 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Hello All-

I haven't made much progress in August which is frustrating as I know I will be needing my garage back for the winter soon enough. I had to do some maintenance work on the duramax with some rusted brake lines and locked up calipers, so that took some of my car time.

But the main reason I haven't made much progress is the dang trunk lid. I have been trying to get that aligned so I can then remove the rest of the quarter panel, but it has proved to be quite a task for a simple minded person like me. I think I almost have it to a place where I can move forward...I think.

Talked with Tobin at Kore3 and my brakes and axles should be shipping this week, so another piece of stockpiled equipment for when I am ready to complete the chassis.

I did get the rear end all painted up with some nice dark shadow grey metallic color. Came out nice. I will add a picture when I have a chance.

Dan

Build thread-

Album -
post #148 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 7:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

I left the trunk lid installed when I did my quarters so I could keep checking the gaps and making adjustments. Seemed to be the way to go but there really wasn't much I could do as far as moving it around but they worked out good. Had to cut a 3/16 slice on the Dr side and tap it closed to get the gap on that side right wasn't a big deal though.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #149 of 508 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 16, 1:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
I left the trunk lid installed when I did my quarters so I could keep checking the gaps and making adjustments. Seemed to be the way to go but there really wasn't much I could do as far as moving it around but they worked out good. Had to cut a 3/16 slice on the Dr side and tap it closed to get the gap on that side right wasn't a big deal though.
I did the mini tubs so I needed to cut out the inner wheel wells and then re-attach the hinges onto the new wheel wells. So my lid doesn't fit just right now, as I am sure I am off with where I attached the hinge supports as of now. Passenger side looks ok, drivers side is raised up back at the rear of the car before it goes down the back. But that gap looks better than the passenger side.

Build thread-

Album -
post #150 of 508 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Got some updates for anyone still keeping track of this one.

Finishing up the passenger side-

On to driver's side-

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in