post #106 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 16, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: 66 - Shakie

Just keep telling yourself it will be worth it in the end

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 16, 2:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McMasters View Post
Just keep telling yourself it will be worth it in the end
I'm trying.
post #108 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 16, 2:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

That body damage is so completely typical. I'd sooner fix than replace body panels in most cases but it's tedious work to fix them. Those gauges are cool.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #109 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 16, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
That body damage is so completely typical. I'd sooner fix than replace body panels in most cases but it's tedious work to fix them. Those gauges are cool.
Thanks. I do like having original sheetmetal on the car, but it's pretty rough. AS of now, the fenders, doors and hood are the only things not being replaced.
post #110 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 10:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

At some time in the future, you will look back and be happy that you fixed all those things instead of covering them up. Easier said then done though.

Build thread-

Album -
post #111 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
At some time in the future, you will look back and be happy that you fixed all those things instead of covering them up. Easier said then done though.
Agreed Dan. I would always know it was under there if I just covered it up with filler. More bad news though. Both full quarters and passenger door skin need replacing. ARGH. I'll hopefully get some pictures of the bad quarters and door next week if I can stop by the shop.
post #112 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Jim-

Just updated my build thread with my quarter panel replacements. Keep your head up...it's only money

Build thread-

Album -
post #113 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 16, 6:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

So the quarters are ordered and so is the passenger door skin. I snapped a couple pictures at the shop today.

Love the old repair on the quarter:

The door is a little harder to see, but rather than skin the door or even try to body work it, the previous placed just slathered body filler on:

However, there is some metal actually going ON the car rather than coming off. Two shots of the fabricated piece below the windshield channel:

post #114 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 16, 6:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

I remember fabricating windshield parts as well.

I also had to fabricate the corners where the seals go for the trunk lid plus the entire rear part where the trunk lid closes against was completely messed up.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #115 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 16, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Luckily the trunk opening is pretty solid. I would say we are not going to find anymore surprises as every panel has had the filler removed, but I don't want to jinx myself.
post #116 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 16, 12:28 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

if there is a bright side it will be that you will know what you have now, it will be a solid car and something worth owning. I just went through the same thing on my '66. We painted it this last weekend... so, so, so worth it... painted it black to boot, lol, looks like a brand new one and probably won't have to worry about any rust issues or other unwanted surprises for at least another 50 years! That's gotta be worth something...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #117 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 16, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
if there is a bright side it will be that you will know what you have now, it will be a solid car and something worth owning. I just went through the same thing on my '66. We painted it this last weekend... so, so, so worth it... painted it black to boot, lol, looks like a brand new one and probably won't have to worry about any rust issues or other unwanted surprises for at least another 50 years! That's gotta be worth something...
Thank you. It'll definitely be worth it and I'm looking forward to getting to the place you're at. It's just a bummer that I thought I had a more solid car, but more and more bad news at every turn. Here's to the future though.
post #118 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Looks like the guys at the body shop have been busy at work. Quarters are cut off, doors and fenders are sand-blasted and inner quarters have been patched. I am told that the quarters may be hung by the end of the week. Pictures:

This is actually the good door if you can believe it:

Fenders look good:
post #119 of 129 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Parts are starting to go on!!! Didn't have my good camera, but here's a couple shots:

Driver's quarter and door skin:

Taillight panel:

Passenger quarter:

Happy Thanksgiving all!
post #120 of 129 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 16, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

A little more has been done. Quarters completely welded and ground down, patched the drivers sail panel (or c-pillar), inner kick panels patched and tail panel welded. Has to order the very rear crossmember and a couple trunk braces as those were pretty trashed. Slowly but surely. A LOT of $ is going into the body shop, but I'm glad to be fixing it right.

Quarters:

Inner kick panel:

Tail panel:

C-Pillar:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 990 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.