Project: Almost There... 66. - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Project: Almost There... 66.

Well. The time has come to put together a build thread. After many years of gathering info from others, hopefully I can return the favor. I've owned my 66 since 1995, and over the years have built the car up with "pro-touring" being the goal well before "pro-touring" existed. Back in those days I pulled parts from junk yards to do B body spindles swaps, big Caprice brakes swaps, 1 1/4 F body sway bars, and anything else that looked like a good idea. I've no doubt spent way more time building the car than actually driving it over the last 19 years, but I hope to change that next year as I near the completion of yet another round of modifications including a LS swap, new wheels, trans, gauges, and some suspension tweaks.

All builds threads are helpful, but I'd like to give a special thanks to Andrew B, Tom F, and Aaron O. Their cars and how they use their cars are an inspiration. These guys are hard to keep up with!

Anyway. Here are some pictures of the car over the years with a brief description of what the car was running at the time.

This is how it looked in 95. 283, powerglide, 10 bolt. Basically stock.

Now sporting IROC wheels and maybe some small suspension mods like Eibach springs, Global west UCA, B spindle.

About 2001. New paint to go back to original Aztec Bronze (it's close, but not quite factory). Also went to a 454/turbo 350 combo at this time.

About 2009. Rushforth 18" and 20" wheels. Z06 brakes from KORE3, Sparco seats, AFX spindles and SPC control arms.

2014. Forgeline 18's, 275 Rivals all around. DSE coilovers in the front and rear now. LS and 4L80 are installed and in the process of tuning. It's full on winter here now, so my testing may have to wait until March now. If we do get some dry roads before then, I hope to get some shakedown runs in before spring.

That's about it for now. I will document the LS swap in my next post with a parts list and my opinions on all of that! Any questions please ask. That's what it's all about.

Tyler
mweb99 and Blown1932 like this.

66 Malibu. STILL... Working toward participation in Optima events! Rebuild in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb
Re: Project: Almost There... 66.

Beautiful 66,, but then aren't all 66's beautiful in any condition?! love Aztec bronze,, a buddy had a 66 wagon in Aztec and factory tilt, 283 PG. We had a ton of fun for two summers up at Coeur d'alene lake in Idaho. It was our lake "surf" wagon every day. We all wish we would have kept it in the "family" because we all have fond memories of it.

This isn't it, but a great pix none the less, don't you think?

My "Time Machine", sold and gone. Looking for another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 1:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

That's a heck of a transformation, the stance is perfect

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 7:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Tyler,
Great looking 66 ! Can you please provide the wheel sizes and back spacing measurements for the last two wheel sets? Both look great

Craig
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Nice!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to seeing all the work done to it.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 2:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Stu

Beautiful 66 for sure.
Thanks for the timeline, great transformation through out the years.

BIG pic of my 66 Malibu:
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 11:10 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage
Looks really nice! Cool to see the transformation since '95. I've owned my '66 since '91 and it has and is currently going through lots of changes!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 11:52 AM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66promalibu View Post
All builds threads are helpful, but I'd like to give a special thanks to Andrew B, Tom F, and Aaron O. Their cars and how they use their cars are an inspiration. These guys are hard to keep up with!

Thanks Tyler, and very nice 66!

Nice to meet you in Vegas too,
Aaron
mweb99 likes this.

Aaron

65 Chevelle HT,
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 9:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I appreciate it.
Quote:
Tyler,
Great looking 66 ! Can you please provide the wheel sizes and back spacing measurements for the last two wheel sets? Both look great
Craig
The Rushforths were 19x8 with 5" BS and 20x10 with 6.5" BS. Tire sizes were 245/35/19 and 275/35/20.
The Forgelines are 18x9.5 with 6.25" BS and 18x10 with 6.5" BS. Tire sizes are 275/35/18.

I have not driven the car yet with the 275's up front. I expect there to be some minor rubbing and will address that when the time comes.

There is a 1969 width rear end in the car, so please take note of that. I believe it's 1" total width wider than the factory 66 rear end.

I liked how the 19" and 20" Rushforths looked, but two things made me change to 18's. One was the hidden valve stems on the Rushforth. Looks cool but makes checking tire pressure painful. The second reason was not being able to get the car to sit how I wanted. With the 20" wheel and a tire with some sidewall I couldn't lower the car enough in the rear to get the rake out of it.

66 Malibu. STILL... Working toward participation in Optima events! Rebuild in progress.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Well. Since I figured out an easy way to post pictures and content, I figured I would revive my build thread.

I think it was the fall of 2017 when I decided to pull the 4L80 in favor of a T56 Magnum. Then project scope creep happened! The transmission swap turned into Vintage Air, ABC mini tubs, frame boxing, a new front suspension and probably a few other things that Iím forgetting.

Iím not sure if this is version 3 or 4 of this car, but Iíve promised myself it will be the last overhaul of this level.

Anyway. Here are some pics.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan65ss and mweb99 like this.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 6:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Wow, that is a great upgrade!

Build thread-

Album -
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:38 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Nice update! Looks great.

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Thanks guys! I just noticed that my last post prior to today was 10 days before the birth of my twin daughters! That explains some of my absence! LOL.
Dan65ss and Proc like this.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 12:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

You have done exactly what I dream of doing to my frame. Global West extended travel kit, ABC mini tub kit, dimple die'd boxing of the frame, cut the old spring.shock perches on the frame and install a cross member for coil overs. I love it!!

Did you fab that cross member?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Thanks 454.
The trans crossmember is an ABC unit. I was going to use the Holley swap crossmember, but when I boxed the frame I couldnít use the Holley anymore. So used the Holley to locate the trans then plugged the ABC unit in its place.

Had to slightly modify the ABC unit for floor clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in