Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #391 of 417 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 16, 11:47 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: 66 P/T build

Mike,

I hope your father is doing well and possibly recovering? I definitely get having family issues along with many projects going. Any chance we might get some updates on the Chevelle if there are any? This thread is like crack to many of us here. I know it inspires me to try to do good work on mine.

At any rate, I hope all is well with you and your family.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 417 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 16, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post
Mike,

I hope your father is doing well and possibly recovering? I definitely get having family issues along with many projects going. Any chance we might get some updates on the Chevelle if there are any? This thread is like crack to many of us here. I know it inspires me to try to do good work on mine.

At any rate, I hope all is well with you and your family.

-Jim

Jim,

I appreciate you asking about Dad.It's been a few months since his surgery and he is starting to get back to his old self. His surgery was pretty invasive and it takes a long time to heal up and even longer at his age. He's a tough old dude though so he's getting through it. They are pretty sure they got it all but only time will tell.

I know it has been a long time since I posted any updates on the Chevelle. The main reason is there just have not been many lately. I have the body back on the frame for the last time. All of the sheet metal is back on and the gaps are close. All of the glass is out as well. What I am waiting on is my buddy who is going to paint it. He recently bought a new home and is busy doing a remodel. He is very talented and is worth the wait to me so that's what I'm going to to. He said he still hopes to get it done this year but I won't hold my breath.

I have everything on hand to finish assembly and I have seriously contemplated puting it together for this year and enjoying it but I just can't do it. It's an empty shell now and ready for the body shop and I really don't want to have to take it all apart again. I have to be patient.

We have been keeping busy building my son's 67 C10 and it has made it much easier for me to wait on the Chevelle. I still get on here all the time and check on your build and several others that I have been following for a long time. You guys keep me motivated!!

Mike

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #393 of 417 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 16, 5:29 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks for the update Mike. I am glad to hear that your father is on his way to recovery.

I definitely get waiting for the right paint/body guy and not wanting to put it together and take it apart again.

I am looking for a C10 myself for a daily driver. I prefer the 62-66, but if I found the right 67 or 68, I'd be tempted. Do you have a thread on that somewhere? If so, can you share it? I'd love to follow that build as well. Hopefully my son will be interested in building as he gets a little older. He's 10 right now, which is a good age, but he isn't into it as much as I'd like and I don't want to force the issue.

-Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McMasters View Post
Jim,

I appreciate you asking about Dad.It's been a few months since his surgery and he is starting to get back to his old self. His surgery was pretty invasive and it takes a long time to heal up and even longer at his age. He's a tough old dude though so he's getting through it. They are pretty sure they got it all but only time will tell.

I know it has been a long time since I posted any updates on the Chevelle. The main reason is there just have not been many lately. I have the body back on the frame for the last time. All of the sheet metal is back on and the gaps are close. All of the glass is out as well. What I am waiting on is my buddy who is going to paint it. He recently bought a new home and is busy doing a remodel. He is very talented and is worth the wait to me so that's what I'm going to to. He said he still hopes to get it done this year but I won't hold my breath.

I have everything on hand to finish assembly and I have seriously contemplated puting it together for this year and enjoying it but I just can't do it. It's an empty shell now and ready for the body shop and I really don't want to have to take it all apart again. I have to be patient.

We have been keeping busy building my son's 67 C10 and it has made it much easier for me to wait on the Chevelle. I still get on here all the time and check on your build and several others that I have been following for a long time. You guys keep me motivated!!

Mike

post #394 of 417 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 16, 9:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

It's cool to hear you are looking for a C10, trucks are cool! I know where you are coming from on not forcing the issue with your boy, I am there myself. We have reached a point in his life where he's becoming more independent and his friends are a bigger part of his life. The hardest part for me is he just doesn't have the passion for building cars like I do. I played a little dirty pool though and played on something he loves which is old trucks.

It is my hope that by getting this truck he will want to hang with me like he used to and maybe I can delay that inevitable teenager time where you don't think your parents are that cool to hang out with. It seems to be working because we are having a blast so far.

I did recently start a thread over at 67-72chevytrucks.com.

Father/Son 67 SWB project- Picture Heavy - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Mike

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #395 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Well the last year has had some ups and downs and I'm bummed to say the Chevelle has been sitting/stalled for over a year. My close friends are aware of the issues I have been dealing with as far as the car is concerned and Tom F should be charging therapy fees for talking me off the cliff several times over this past year.

The build stalled because I got to the point where I was ready for paint. I had a friend lined up a year and a half ago to paint the car but things happen and people get busy with life. This happened here and left me scrambling to find someone else I trusted to paint the car. I have been all over the map this last year from putting it together as is to the other extreme of being so pissed I considered selling it.

I am happy to say that I have made a deal to get the paint done and it is officially leaving my possession this week. The paint on the car was decent but it wasn't perfect. It will be coming down to bare metal and should be very nice when it's done. I have heard so many horror stories about "paint prison" but I'm optimistic things will go relatively smooth but time will tell.

I needed to get the glass out of it today and the last of the trim removed. What a pain the side glass is!!

Wish me luck boys

jaketoolson likes this.

Mike

post #396 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Jim

I'm so happy for you Mike. Obviously don't know the whole story of what you're going through, but it appears you are handling it. I've REALLY enjoyed your thread and am pretty happy to see more progress and follow it to an awesome conclusion. Hopefully your paint shop works out for you. Although I've had un-expected sheetmetal work, the experience has been good as they are working on it all the time and it isn't sitting in a corner not being worked on. Hopefully you'll get the same treatment. Welcome back.

-Jim

Quote:
Well the last year has had some ups and downs and I'm bummed to say the Chevelle has been sitting/stalled for over a year. My close friends are aware of the issues I have been dealing with as far as the car is concerned and Tom F should be charging therapy fees for talking me off the cliff several times over this past year.

The build stalled because I got to the point where I was ready for paint. I had a friend lined up a year and a half ago to paint the car but things happen and people get busy with life. This happened here and left me scrambling to find someone else I trusted to paint the car. I have been all over the map this last year from putting it together as is to the other extreme of being so pissed I considered selling it.

I am happy to say that I have made a deal to get the paint done and it is officially leaving my possession this week. The paint on the car was decent but it wasn't perfect. It will be coming down to bare metal and should be very nice when it's done. I have heard so many horror stories about "paint prison" but I'm optimistic things will go relatively smooth but time will tell.

I needed to get the glass out of it today and the last of the trim removed. What a pain the side glass is!!

Wish me luck boys

post #397 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Thanks Jim! I'm sure we will find something hidden on mine as well. It seems like there is always some kind of previous repair that is not up to par.

Mike

post #398 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 11:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

YEAHHHHH...the thread is alive again!

By far my #1 thread to re-read and get tips from. On the paint topic, if you are just going to have it sitting unfinished anyway, what is the big deal if it sits in paint prison for awhile? As long as it does get done at some point in the not to distant future.

Funny you say that about the windows. They are still one of the hardest parts I have done with my car, and one that I really don't want to think about when having to put them back in.

Glad you have found someone to paint and move this project along.

Dan

Build thread-

Album -
post #399 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
Jim

When you're ready to do the glass, check out this video. The front glass is pretty easy, but the quarter glass is a PAIN. However, the video is REALLY good on showing you how.

-Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post

By far my #1 thread to re-read and get tips from. On the paint topic, if you are just going to have it sitting unfinished anyway, what is the big deal if it sits in paint prison for awhile? As long as it does get done at some point in the not to distant future.

Funny you say that about the windows. They are still one of the hardest parts I have done with my car, and one that I really don't want to think about when having to put them back in.

Dan
post #400 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post

Dan
Thanks Dan! You are 100% right..I will be happy just to have someone working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post
When you're ready to do the glass, check out this video. The front glass is pretty easy, but the quarter glass is a PAIN. However, the video is REALLY good on showing you how.

1966 Chevelle quarter glass installation By Scared Shiftless - YouTube

-Jim
Jim,

It's funny you posted that video. That's the video I watched yesterday prior to taking the glass out.

Mike

post #401 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 1:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

And to follow that up, I'm going to study up and teach myself how to do body work on my sons C10 project. I used to be a painter years ago but I never did body work and I have access to a booth.

I have always prided myself on the fact that I do all of my own work but this is just out of my comfort zone and the materials are so expensive that mistakes are that much harder to swallow. I wouldn't do that to the Chevelle but that old C10 won't mind

Mike

post #402 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 4:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I got a call to bring the car to the body shop today. Man, Im pretty excited!

Yelcamino and jaketoolson like this.

Mike

post #403 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 5:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I am the same way, like to be able to take care of my own rebuild/restoration. When mine is ready to paint I have a buddy with a shop, but hopefully I can do the painting with some coaching and guidance...until I screw it up too much and he smacks me around.

But I think the C10 will be happy with you painting it.

Awesome news that you have already dropped the chevelle off at paint.

I am going to have to go back through your thread to catch up on what has been done and what hasn't. See if I can learn a few more things from it.

You must be flying high right now with that moving forward again...congrats.

Dan

Build thread-

Album -
post #404 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 16, 9:38 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Body and paint is the only thing I have done professionally, but the only one I don't have the space to do. I'd LOVE to do my own paint, but I don't have the space or a booth. Metal work (welding on quarters) is pretty dang hard, but the rest you can do. I've seen in this thread what you can do with everything else and I promise you can do body work and paint. It just takes a lot of patience and it is clear you have that.

Quote:
And to follow that up, I'm going to study up and teach myself how to do body work on my sons C10 project. I used to be a painter years ago but I never did body work and I have access to a booth.

I have always prided myself on the fact that I do all of my own work but this is just out of my comfort zone and the materials are so expensive that mistakes are that much harder to swallow. I wouldn't do that to the Chevelle but that old C10 won't mind
Dan65ss likes this.
post #405 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 16, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to tommycomfort

Quote:
Well the last year has had some ups and downs and I'm bummed to say the Chevelle has been sitting/stalled for over a year. My close friends are aware of the issues I have been dealing with as far as the car is concerned and Tom F should be charging therapy fees for talking me off the cliff several times over this past year...
I like the sound of charging a fee! Help me pay for all my projects.. Glad it is finally moving forward!

Our 66 build thread:

Deb's wagon upgrade thread:

The new shop build:

Last edited by davewho1; Oct 10th, 18 at 4:28 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in