Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #361 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 15, 11:59 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: 66 P/T build

Mike (and hopefully someone from RideTech - Ryan maybe),

Not sure if you covered this, but are you using the stock steering arms? I am, but the rear 'ear' hits the lower control arm when turning all the way. Not sure if this is by design or a design flaw as it hits metal to metal and not bumpstop or anything to stop it. I've seen a couple aftermarket steering arms, but I think they're all for Novas I think.

Mike - Are yours hitting when turning to lock?

RideTech - What can be done about this?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 15, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Great build, fantastic fabrication and planning. Oh, Glad you went with the LS - You will not regret it.

Keep the pics coming.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #363 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 15, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post

Not sure if you covered this, but are you using the stock steering arms? I am, but the rear 'ear' hits the lower control arm when turning all the way. Not sure if this is by design or a design flaw as it hits metal to metal and not bumpstop or anything to stop it. I've seen a couple aftermarket steering arms, but I think they're all for Novas I think.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,

Yes mine does that as well. That is normal, those are the factory steering stops.

Mike

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #364 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 15, 3:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Great build, fantastic fabrication and planning. Oh, Glad you went with the LS - You will not regret it.

Keep the pics coming.
Thank you sir, I'm glad I decided on the LS as well.

Mike

post #365 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 15, 8:34 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McMasters View Post
Jim,

Yes mine does that as well. That is normal, those are the factory steering stops.

Mike
OK. Thanks Mike
post #366 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 15, 9:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Jim,

I'm not sure how far yours is turning before the stops but mine hits the stops just before the inner tie rods would touch the pan. It has literally 1/8" between the tie rod and the pan.

Mike

Mike

post #367 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 15, 2:34 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post

Thanks,
Jim
Yes these are the steering stops. If your having any issues with them feel free to take some pictures and send them to me at [email protected] and i will be happy to help you out!
post #368 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 15, 4:25 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
Yes these are the steering stops. If your having any issues with them feel free to take some pictures and send them to me at [email protected] and i will be happy to help you out!
Thanks guys. Sorry to hijack the thread. I am using the factory steering arms. If this is be design, I'm good. I'll take another look to be certain and start a new thread if it warrants.

-Jim
post #369 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 15, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Mike- I wanted to say that I am with you on the BBC route. From when I first bought my car I always wanted it to be a big block 4 speed car. Just seemed like the coolest thing to me. When I started my restoration I had my 350 gone through and threw a new cam and heads on it. Then on Resto 2.0 I pulled that out and really don't have a plan to use it, but I was really thinking about going with a 396/4 speed. Almost pulled the trigger on a couple of them locally that were for sale. Glad I didn't, because now I am going to use the LS motor (I think). At first I didn't like the look of all the new stuff under the hood, I wanted a more traditional look....but I am over that now. Would love to swap in an LSA or LS9 and have a SC on there as well, but don't want to deal with the hood clearance.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I am with you on the BBC. A few years ago that was the coolest thing to do. Long post to say that, but figured I would add some comments here.

Build thread-

Album -
post #370 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 15, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

On another topic:

How are you routing your fuel lines over the rear cross member? Did you drill a hole and go through it or going over the top over by the stock placement? If so, is there enough room over there with 2 lines where they won't pinch when the body is on?

Thanks,
Dan

Build thread-

Album -
post #371 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 15, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
On another topic:

How are you routing your fuel lines over the rear cross member? Did you drill a hole and go through it or going over the top over by the stock placement? If so, is there enough room over there with 2 lines where they won't pinch when the body is on?

Thanks,
Dan
I ran them on the outside of the body mount then used stainless line clamps down the backside of the C notch, then over to the tank. I will get some better pictures for you and show you how I did it. When the body is on both lines have plenty of clearance around the mount.

The BBC thing was really hard for me to get past but I'm all good with it now

Mike

post #372 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I can't believe it's been over a month since I have posted on here but I have been doing some work on the car. I put the body back on the chassis for the last time. It's squared and everything is torqued down. I also finished all of the fab work on the dash for the VA vents and controls. I am in a holding pattern now waiting for the car to go to paint. I really hope to be posting body work pictures by Christmas but we will see if that happens..

I took this down time as a sign that we needed another project in our household My son and I drove over to a buddy's house in Indy this last weekend and picked up the newest member of our car family. My son couldn't be happier because this one is his.

He has big plans for it and a small wallet so I will probably end up using some Chevelle money for it but as long as he is in the shop with me and we are spending time together, I could care less if the Chevelle gets pushed back a little. His wish list right now is pretty simple according to him. He wants the stance very low, he wants as much tire as he can fit under it and he wants a lumpy cam.

I mentioned modern suspension and brakes and he shrugged at me The truck is going to have the same theme as the Chevelle since he has shown interest in auto crossing the truck once he has his license.

I really want to start on the truck asap and keep his interest peaked where its at right now. Before we can start though I want to get to some updates to mommas Impala that I put off all Summer. I have a 700r4 for it, big brakes from Kore 3 and a mandrel bent exhaust. I cut out the 2" crimp bent, power robbing mess that was in it today.

I started getting everything ready to pull the power glide out today when my trans jack died and put a halt to everything.

I would love to document the truck build here since it will be a very pro-touring oriented build but I'm sure that would be frowned upon since it's not an A body. I will sneak some pictures in here and there though.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I haven't been here in a while and I missed this place a little

Mike

post #373 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 15, 7:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

Cool truck. Best looking front end they made and the body looks good.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #374 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 15, 5:03 PM
Team Member
Mike

Nice project.
You are spot on as far as keeping him interested.
I did something similar with mine and I can tell you from experience.. Just waiting on parts is enough to sway their interest. I found keeping a list of things to do (like sanding and priming, parts cleaning and planning) will keep the motivation going while at a holding point.
The biggest point to remember is to have fun. Secondly, don't forget.. it's his project.
As many times as I told myself that, I kept finding myself trying to push my idea's and wants. That was tough.. lol
In the end, it was a great father son experience. I'm sure you guys are going to have a blast!
post #375 of 417 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 15, 8:17 PM
Tech Team
Michael

67-72chevytrucks.com is another good site, did a Blazer build there, lots of good info as well.
Enjoy!

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in