66 P/T build - Page 24 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #346 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 15, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: 66 P/T build

Maybe its my computer but It's very hard to see where your bulk head is in that picture.

Just for reference, I smoothed my entire firewall and I plan to put the bulk head where the original heater box cage fan would have been. The heater/ac hoses will run down through the passenger side kick panel, then over to the VA unit.

On the engine side, I will be able to run the lines behind the inner fender and keep everything hidden for the most part.

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 15, 8:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Mike, the bulk head is not in the picture, I couldnt get it to fit. I just wanted to show you how little room there is. The fitting on the right side in my hand is just showing you how close it would be.
So why would you put a bulk head where the fan was when VA supplies you with a plug with holes that covers the fan hole, which runs the hoses behind the inner fender? Did you order the extra long hose kit? Just curious? If you do it that way you will have more connections and more chances of leaking.
Brian

Brian
67 SS Frame off in progress
post #348 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 15, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The supplied panel covers existing holes from removing the heater box. Since my firewall is now a solid panel, I chose to route the hoses this way. True it does give me more opportunities for a failure point but hopefully I do my job right and I have no leaks I really want a clean engine compartment

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #349 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 15, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McMasters View Post
The supplied panel covers existing holes from removing the heater box. Since my firewall is now a solid panel, I chose to route the hoses this way. True it does give me more opportunities for a failure point but hopefully I do my job right and I have no leaks I really want a clean engine compartment
Looking back through your post I see you covered the blower hole as well, now I understand why you have to use a bulk head. I just welded in a plate covering the heater core and left the blower hole open.
Good luck, keep us posted on you build. I check this one daily.

Brian

Brian
67 SS Frame off in progress
post #350 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 4:14 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Mike,

Quick question for you as I don't think I see it in the thread (I could've totally missed it though). I know you are running dirty dingo sliders, energy 3.114 mounts, and an autokraft pan. Can you tell me a couple things:

What is the part number for the pan?
What headers are you running, and did you have to clearance them for anything?
What accessory system are you going to run?

I think I'm gonna start stock-piling parts for mine and would like to use what someone already has instead of buying 60 different things that MIGHT work.

Thanks,
Jim
post #351 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Jim,

Autocraft only makes the one pan (715-874-5921 is their number to order direct)

I ordered the Gm Corvette accessory drive w/o a/c # 19257325. Then I ordered the vintage air compressor bracket that works with this accessory drive. The reason I went this route is the corvette accessory drive w/ a/c puts the compressor low on the passenger side. The way I am doing it, the compressor will be high on the passenger side.

As far as headers go it's up in the air right now. A friend let me use his flowmaster #814116 to test fit when I mocked up the engine mounts and they fit really good around the steering shaft and the frame. Only drawback was they were a little tight to the floor. Not too bad though. These are a 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector

I have a friend who is using the same mount/pan combination in his 67 and is using Doug's 776-D3336-r. The fit is pretty damn good as well. He bought them raw in case he had to dimple any tubes. Passenger side was a little tight on the lower control arm mount and he had to dimple a little there. These are a 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector.

Lemons are also high on my list as well. They are pricey but you get what you pay for. I will let you know what I decide on.

I hope this helps sir

Mike

Mike

post #352 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I hope to try the Doug's before my buddy does his final assembly to see how they fit for me. We are at two totally different stages in our builds so hopefully that happens sooner than later.

Mike

Mike

post #353 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 15, 9:13 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I think Kwizz also used DD Sliders, so I might check out his thread as well.
post #354 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 15, 9:30 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Just checked his thread. He originally was using the DD sliders, but then fabricated his own. Presumably to move the engine up to clear accessories (he's using an LSA). He used a Holley pan and Flowmaster headers. He said the headers hit the upper control arm mount, which would've been worse if he hadn't raised the engine. I guess the Flowmasters are out for us.
post #355 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 15, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post
Just checked his thread. He originally was using the DD sliders, but then fabricated his own. Presumably to move the engine up to clear accessories (he's using an LSA). He used a Holley pan and Flowmaster headers. He said the headers hit the upper control arm mount, which would've been worse if he hadn't raised the engine. I guess the Flowmasters are out for us.
Jim,
The set I tried when I mocked up fit pretty good everywhere but the floor. Just goes to show how much these cars are different, yet the same. This is disappointing because none of us want to spend money twice. Please let me know what you end up with and I will do the same.

Mike

Mike

post #356 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 15, 4:54 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Love seeing kids get involved. My kids are too young yet so I'm just enjoying the early years right now. I hope that they are interested enough when they get that age to want to learn. Keep up the great work.............and parenting!
post #357 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 15, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Thanks Ryan!!

Mike

post #358 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 6:48 AM
Team Member
Mike

I just took the time to read the entire thread from beginning to now.
This is an extremely nice build. I'll be following as its updated for sure.
One of the things a lot of people dont realize is, it takes enough time just to build something! The fact that you take the time to document it and post the progress pictures in a competent fashion so its easy to follow and understand is a completely separate task.
Thanks for taking the time and doing it right. It will always be an excellent reference for all of us to follow.
post #359 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 5:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post
I just took the time to read the entire thread from beginning to now.
This is an extremely nice build. I'll be following as its updated for sure.
One of the things a lot of people dont realize is, it takes enough time just to build something! The fact that you take the time to document it and post the progress pictures in a competent fashion so its easy to follow and understand is a completely separate task.
Thanks for taking the time and doing it right. It will always be an excellent reference for all of us to follow.
I appreciate the kind words Mike. I have referenced so many other members builds on here and they have helped me tremendously. I will feel good if just one thing I put on here "maybe" helps someone and I can pay it forward a little.

Mike

post #360 of 417 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 5:45 PM
Team Member
Mike

Rest assured, I read every word of every post in the thread.
"maybe" is not applicable. More like certainly.
Keep plugging away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in