66 Chevelle Retirement Project - Page 20 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #286 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodger

Re: 66 Chevelle Retirement Project

So now that you have some history, here is where I am today. First, I got a proper plug for the front vent hole. Iím not convinced the brass plug was the correct thread, and could have been my entire problem.

I purchased the BMW Tank Vent System Charcoal Filter from Turner Motorsports. Cost me $280. I went with this because I saw Detroit Speed was using it. I am running a line from the filler vent hole to the 3/8Ē hole of the BMW filter. Then a ľĒ line from the BMW filter to the II Much vent.
I guess I should have mentioned that I used PTFE line from Brown & Miller, they are right down the road in Charlotte and a great bunch to work with. I basically took all my parts down, set them on the counter and said help. They were all over it, less then 30 minutes later I was walking out with the lines cut and AN fittings on them.

I am going to mount the BMW under the body up by the rear seat on the same level as the II Much vent. This is about as high as I can get it.
None of my solutions are cheap, I know that. I have heard guys say they go to the junk yard and grab a charcoal filter, but I have no idea what vehicles or where to find one, so I went this route. I also understand that I am probably applying a lot of over kill. But I have a II Much vent already, so figured I would hook it up. I could probably get by with a roll over vent after the BMW filter.

Hope to have this done over the weekend. Not sure if Iíll be able to get any good pictures but Iíll try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2695.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	585698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2696.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	585700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2697.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	585702  
David Bates likes this.

Rodger

NCOA# 17189
ACES # 536

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Aberdeen NC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 19, 2:16 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Well, that sucks that the II Much vent with Vaporworx tank didn't do good for you.......I have the same parts for my build, not installed yet. We'll see how it goes for me....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #288 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodger

Todd,

You may be good. The II Much flaw has been fixed as I understand. Do you have the Rick Tank filler tube vent line access? Just those two items alone may be all you need.

Like I said, I know I am overkill with the charcoal filter, but not willing to take the chance. I'm working on the system today and hope to drive it, so I'll update this post with what I have so far later.

Rodger

NCOA# 17189
ACES # 536

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Aberdeen NC

post #289 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not trying to be critical of your design but I would of thought the charcoal filter would be placed in line after the vent/rollover check valve. That way it would only see the fuel vapors and no liquid.

Or am I missing something?

I'm going to be installing my tank in a few weeks and have been thinking about this step for awhile.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #290 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodger

Jeff,

Valid point, and you could do it that way. Just not sure how you would run from the II Much Vent to the Charcoal filter.

My thinking is that I originally had it set up to go straight to the II Much vent. The II Much vent has the brass vent on the bottom that they say no fuel smell should come out, but? it did. I went the route I did because Detroit Speed only uses the charcoal filter. And the Charcoal filter has a line out which the II Much does not. My other option would have been to have a T fitting after the charcoal filter to allow fuel back into the tank if it came up that high.

I have everything hooked up now, but while it is winter and I have the back end on jack stands I wanted to adjust my rear ride height with my coil overs. Unfortunately, my honey do list keeps getting in the way of me completing this last task. I am going to a Cruise in this weekend in Charlotte, so I need to get everything wrapped up by then so I can drive it and see where I am at.

Rodger

NCOA# 17189
ACES # 536

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Aberdeen NC

post #291 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 2:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I did a little more research yesterday, from what I could learn it seems as though you'll have to have a vacuum line hooked up to the charcoal canister to pull the fumes it collects into the engine to be burnt. The charcoal has a limited capacity to absorb or hold the fumes and will become saturated overtime, thus you'll be in the same situation, gas fumes from the canister vent. Most hookup a ported vacuum source to the canister to accomplish this. Doesn't sound much different than the systems used in the early 70's. I would think that you could even restrict the ported vacuum source some to prevent an open vacuum leak that could affect engine tune. The ECM may make up for the additional air easily though.

Jeff Evans
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #292 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 2:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

By looking at the II Much Vent I would assume there is an air path through it to the little bronze filter on the bottom. I don't think the bronze filter with remove gas fumes, its just a filter.

Please report back how your new system works with the charcoal canister.

Jeff Evans
post #293 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 2:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Found this, explains a little about how the system works on Corvettes.

1970 to 1982 Corvette Evaporative Emission Control System

Jeff Evans
post #294 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 7:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodger

Jeff,

Great information, thank you. I took her out today and put 3/4 tank of gas in. So far so good. I'll get a better feel Friday.

If the BMW filter lasts a few years I am good to replace it. Otherwise, I'll be addressing this again soon.

I am driving the Hot Rod Power Tour this summer, that'll be the big test.

Rodger

NCOA# 17189
ACES # 536

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Aberdeen NC

post #295 of 298 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Glad to hear that the charcoal canister is an improvement!

You have a beautiful car, glad to know that you drive it! I too plan to drive mine on long trips when complete.

Jeff Evans
post #296 of 298 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 8:34 AM
Greg

Great looking car can’t wait to get mine done. I may have missed it but what a/c kit did you use?
post #297 of 298 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 12:19 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm66 View Post
Todd,

You may be good. The II Much flaw has been fixed as I understand. Do you have the Rick Tank filler tube vent line access? Just those two items alone may be all you need.
I looked at my filler neck yesterday, and there is a welded bung near the gas cap.

post #298 of 298 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodger

I went with Vintage Air.

Rodger

NCOA# 17189
ACES # 536

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Aberdeen NC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in