Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 5:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 67 L99 4L80 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Make sure the Vintage air box will still fit in there with that sticking back so far. I like your idea, but might run out of room back there with a double din radio and that cup holder and the ac box and the hoses going everyone. I will take a look back through your thread, but without looking, you need to account for the ECU somewhere too.

I am scratching my head on all those things this week.

And one more thing, if you go with the electronic controller for the AC, you will have a little more than 6 dollars into it...man those little buggers are expensive!
Dan makes a good point. That vintage air box monopolizes most of the room under the passenger side of the dash, half way over the center hump. You also have to factor in room to route the A/C duct hoses to the vents. The hoses take up a good bit of room as well, because you want to avoid crushing them.

I went with the Dakota Digital controls & couldn't have been happier. One of the coolest mods I did on the car. However, it was just a little more than $6.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 8:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Great points guys on the depth. I took a look at it compared to the original w/AC controls I have and since VA makes room for these I think it would fit with the VA unit. My plan is to mock everything up so that all brackets are in place before I go to paint.

By the way that's a sweet looking interior Pete.

I don't have my engine harness yet but am planning on using Speartech. What's the dimensions on the ECU?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder compare.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	484610   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder compare open.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	484618  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #78 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 8:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Ah yes, I was thinking that the 65 and the 67 had the heater controls in the same place, but they switched the ash tray and the heater controls in those years. Looks like you might be okay with that as your picture shows them the same depth.

My ECU is a 411 and is 3x7x9 without the large plugs on it yet. They probably add another inch at least to the 7 inch side.

Build thread-

Album -

post #79 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It would take a bit of fabrication to get it flush with the dash but it looks like it just might work. Also, I'd need to make sure the shifter kicks back enough to clear it when its open or possibly move the shifter to the back position and move console back (without seeing it I'm not sure I like that idea). I figured for an initial investment at pick n pull it was worth a shot. I'd get a new one if I end up moving forward with it since one is good for mock up but doesn't work too smoothly. You're supposed to be able to push it in to release it and then pull it out but this one is a little worn.

I was able to get the plastic to straighten some but would probably make a metal face plate and adhere it to the plastic. I'm done experimenting with this for now but figured I'd post this in case someone else wants to give it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cup holder in dash.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	484778  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #80 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 1:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
My ECU is a 411 and is 3x7x9 without the large plugs on it yet. They probably add another inch at least to the 7 inch side.
Dan, thanks for the info on the ECU. By the way your '65 looks like it's coming along nicely.

I believe Speartech uses an E38 on their LS 58x harness for the LS3. Does anyone know if that's correct and the dimensions on it?

TIA

Ted

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #81 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 6:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've made a little progress on the adding a cup holder to the dash of the '67. I have my first pass at the dash panel patch and cup holder cover. I still have some cleanup work to do on them but they came out ok enough I think it may work. So maybe a cup holder is in the future for the '67. I still need to figure out how to mount the cup holder assy to the dash.

Rodger sent me a console shell for a '68 - '72 and that looks like it will work out well with the tunnel patch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Console.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	493834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Console 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	493842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup holder dash patch.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	493850  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #82 of 101 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 18, 7:49 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Looks very good man!!! Awesome!

Freddy
post #83 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 6:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Mercado View Post
Looks very good man!!! Awesome!

Thanks Freddy.

Well I've spent way too much time on making a cup holder work in the dash but I'm pretty much there. Now I need to get up the nerve to cut a perfectly good A/C dash to weld it in. I had to add a place for the Vintage Air (or probably the Dakota Digital) A/C controller. I want it to mount vertical rather than being sloped down like the dash so I recessed it. I'm planning on using the 3 knob version. I think it came out OK for an amateur at metal working.

Also I got the V/A unit mounted under the dash. I didn't want to drill holes through the fire wall nor drill holes in the cowl area so I made mounts using a bolt and washer. I cut off the head of the bolt and then welded them to the washer. Ground it flat and the was able to weld that to the firewall. I did this for the rear mounts on the unit and the LH defroster vent. I made a bracket with 3 studs for the front unit mount and the RH defroster vent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cup holder I.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	519913   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder II.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	519921   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder III.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	519929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage Air.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	519937  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #84 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 18, 9:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well it looks like I'm committed now to the in dash cup holder concept. Next step finish this up and then in dash double din radio w/nav.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	In dash cupholder 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	522585   Click image for larger version

Name:	In dash cupholder 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	522617  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #85 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 18, 3:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I made a quick mock up to see what the double DIN radio would look like in the dash. The final piece will be a little more complicated but this gives me an idea of what it will look like and what other problems it creates. If you do the tall drinks in the cup holder they would over lap the radio but a normal can is fine. Also I'll have to make sure the shifter handle I use slants back fairly close to the top of the console.

For some reason in the picture the cup holder looks like it slants down but it's actually pretty level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	double din.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	524289   Click image for larger version

Name:	double din w cup holder.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	524297  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #86 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 18, 9:23 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Looking at your pictures, you were able to mount the A/C low on the passenger side. I got the same motor mounts that move the engine forward. Thats great news to see!
post #87 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 18, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Looking at your pictures, you were able to mount the A/C low on the passenger side. I got the same motor mounts that move the engine forward. Thats great news to see!
Robert, Which accessory drive/balancer/waterpump are you using? I started with the forward biased mounts but am now using the rear biased mounts (needed to move the engine back to help the supercharger clear the hood).

My setup is:

Camaro/truck balancer
Camaro water pump
Corvette accessory drive
Holley spacer for main accessory drive bracket
Truck A/C bracket

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #88 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 18, 1:42 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Robert, Which accessory drive/balancer/waterpump are you using? I started with the forward biased mounts but am now using the rear biased mounts (needed to move the engine back to help the supercharger clear the hood).

My setup is:

Camaro/truck balancer
Camaro water pump
Corvette accessory drive
Holley spacer for main accessory drive bracket
Truck A/C bracket
I have nothing yet, I am still picking parts up. I plan to run the LSA blower if I go the LS route. Most of the things I have seen have the AC mounted up high on the passenger side. Were you still able to mount it down low with the rear biased mounts? I fully intend to run a 2" cowl too, so the supercharger height shouldn't make a difference for me.
post #89 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 18, 4:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Were you still able to mount it down low with the rear biased mounts?
Yes I was. Here's a pic showing the clearance.

It looks like the challenge with the LSA kit will be where to put the alternator since the GM one seems to mount it low on the drivers side. I believe that would interfere with the steering box. It looks like the LS9 kit would work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Truck AC Compressor.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	524769  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #90 of 101 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 18, 6:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm thinking about going blue as a tribute to my brother since that's what he had it painted back in the early '70s. He wasn't sure the color other than it it was a Ford blue, so I had a spray out of Marina blue and a more modern blue with a little pearl in it (i.e let's just say it's not Ford blue).

I haven't seen them in person yet and my friend hasn't told me which is which but I'm guessing the lighter is Marina. The darker has a lot of flop in it which might show the body lines better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chevelle colors.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	546457  
Clint44 likes this.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:

Last edited by rpol78; Apr 20th, 18 at 7:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in