67 L99 4L80 Project - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 16, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 67 L99 4L80 Project

Chuck, I am using the "forward biased" holley engine mounts but i need to work out what to do for a cross member since the frame has the boxing from an El Camino installed. To my knowledge I don't think Holley has produced a cross member for the convertible/El Camino frame. I'm thinking about using the El Camino cross member and modifying the mount to allow it to tuck up under the tail shaft better. I bought the Delphi Box from DSE so I'm not sure on the Delphi part number.

The transmission is a close ratio T56 Magnum and it has about an 1-2 inches clearance currently along the top with the shifter box hitting the front of the small area at the back of the tunnel. I'm thinking I'm going to cut out the top of the tunnel to get the driveline angles. I may cut out a small section to clear the shifter box and see where that puts me. I hate to cut too much but I also don't want a bunch of small pieces to weld back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail contact.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	394825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	394833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	394841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	394849  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone used the Tin Man patch panel for the tunnel? If so how did it work? I ordered one so I should have it on Monday.

64-72 GM A-body Trans Tunnel Panel
post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 16, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I ran into a snag. I bought a set of the Flowmaster headers before Holley cam out with they're mounts and it doesn't look like they'll work without clearancing for the upper control arm mount on the RH side. I'm using the forward bias set of Holley mounts which places the heads where small block heads were. It looks like the Flowmaster headers would work with the rear biased set that places the bellhousing flange where it normally would be on a small block. It's a shame since they ceramic coated, stainless steel headers and they place the collectors tight against the floor board. I think I'll get the Holley headers that go with the forward biased mounts. That will let me move up to the 1 7/8" primaries which may help out since I'm going forced induction.

I'm getting close to having the transmission positioned correctly. I ended up having to cut out more tunnel than I thought I would based on Todd's comments. I am using a 1350 yoke and trying to get it positioned as close as I can to the floor board brace. The marks outline the Tin Man tunnel patch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trans Tunnel.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	396554  

post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I got the new Hooker headers on Friday. They sure do fit nice. Kudos to Todd and Hooker.

I started mocking up the cross member to get the T56 mounted. Keep in mind I have the boxing from an El Camino frame so the Hooker cross member won't work for me (or those of you with El Caminos or convertibles). I had to move the mounting tab down on the cross member and made some frame mounts to mimic the factory ones used on the El Camino and convertible frames. Someone had removed them from the El Camino frame I got the boxing from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headers Driver Side.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	398146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headers to Floor Pan.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	398154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossmember mount.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	398162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Mount for Crossmember.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	398170  

Name:	20161101_200002.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	398178  
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 1:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I got the transmission frame mounts tacked in place and mocked up the accessory drive to make sure everything aligns and clears. I'm using the corvette drive setup with a 2010 camaro waterpump and balancer so the corvette accessory drive had to be spaced out to align with them. Also I'm using the truck A/C compressor mount. So far it looks good.

I'm a little concerned with the supercharger clearing the hood. I know the hood curves down at the front by the radiator support. If I try to run a straight line from the top of the cowl to the top of the radiator support the supercharger won't clear so hopefully the hood has the right curve to allow it to clear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Accessory drive.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	399202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accessory drive II.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	399210  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 16, 8:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
You worried about hood clearance?
Dan it looks like I may have little worry about hood clearance after all. The good news is it looks like it clears the hood. The bad news if it is clearing it's way too close for comfort. It looks like if I was using the rear bias mounts that would help since they move the engine back 1" but I'm not sure it would completely solve it.

I was thinking of moving the coil packs to the back of the heads and I don't think the rear bias mounts give enough space on the passenger side head to do that. The kits I've seen say they need 2 3/4" clearance between the heads and fire wall. Also if I move the engine back then the transmission yoke is right below the floor pan brace. Currently it looks like I can get 3/4" or so of travel on the yoke for the driveshaft before I get to the brace which gives more 1/2" or so more clearance to the floor pan. I'm using a 1350 yoke so it's pretty big. If I slide the yoke back to the brace I currently have about 1/4" clearance between the yoke and the floor pan brace.

My thinking is that I'll trim back some of the inner hood support structure to give clearance for the blower. I'd have to trim the front edge of the triangular shape in the center of the hood about back to the raised bend on the front side. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

By the way the steel cowl hoods look like they have the same inner structure from the pics I've seen and I'd rather go with a stock looking hood (SS or flat).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hood Clearance II.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	400658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Clearance.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	400666  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rpol78; Nov 11th, 16 at 10:28 AM.
post #52 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 16, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

So in trying to learn from all of these different builds.

For SC engines:

1- Use rear bias mounts
2- Leave coil packs on valve covers or placed somewhere other than the firewall
3- When carving up the trans tunnel, add in some space for the braces as well

Also love how this is coming along. Keep it up. I know there is a lot of little things still, but good to see things moving forward. Keep at it!

Build thread-

Album -
post #53 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 5:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Have you figured out your emergency brake set up/cable? I saw you asked Mike about his, but he hadn't gotten that far yet either. Trying to think through mine as well.

Build thread-

Album -
post #54 of 101 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 16, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Have you figured out your emergency brake set up/cable? I saw you asked Mike about his, but he hadn't gotten that far yet either. Trying to think through mine as well.
I haven't gotten that far. I'm using Wilwood brakes with the ebrake hats so hopefully it won't be too bad. Hopefully I can set it up somewhat like the original drums were. I'll need to get cables to replace the ones that the drum used. It looks like Wilwood sells several cables and pieces to make it work.

Wilwood 330-10993 - Wilwood’s Universal CPB Caliper Cable Kit contains all parts necessary for effective parking brake installation on most vehicles. Kit contents include 81” long cable and sheath assemblies, equalizer assembly, clevises and hardware.

I'm still working on hood clearance and looking at radiators. For the radiator I'm looking at Dewitts but their cooling fan shroud looks kind of hokey.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #55 of 101 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 16, 8:30 AM
Tech Team

Looks cool. For radiators, I highly recommend the C&R Racing cooling system. When we come off the road course, the temp is back down to 180° by the time we pull into our spot in the pits.

-------------------

post #56 of 101 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Starting to make some progress again after taking a step backward on the hood clearance. I finally have that solved. I ended up using the Holley rear biased engine mounts and bought the short transmission mount. I also moved the cross member brackets I made back to go along with the engine being moved back. The RH head is now about 2" from the firewall and I have about 1/2" clearance on the hood.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #57 of 101 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Everything is looking great!!!

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #58 of 101 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 4:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Finally making a little more progress. I'm finally welding the trunk pan, bracing, trunk hinge mounts, and mini tubs in place. Next I need to pull the body again to finish welding the trunk pan to the mini tubs. I made a new flange on the trunk pan so it will weld up similar to how the factory had the spot welds.

With the body off I'll be able to get the tunnel patch welded in place, do some spot rust repair, and begin attaching the firewall smoothing pannel. This should be easier with the body back on the rotisserie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trunk Pan with Mini Tubs.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	427121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Seat Bracing.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	427129  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #59 of 101 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 17, 8:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

nice job! I like what you did with the hinge mounts.

Build thread-

Album -
post #60 of 101 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 17, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Dan. I copied off of Tommy and some others I saw but just made them out of 1 piece. I used 16 gauge like the originals were and built a "die" to stamp the bead roll since I don't have a bead roller. My goal was to make the mini tubs look like they could have come from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RH Trunk hinge bracket.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	427409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tub Brace Bracket.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	427417  

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in