66 Chevelle LQ9/T56 "Project LS-Heap - Page 30 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #436 of 460 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 66 Chevelle LQ9/T56 "Project LS-Heap

I was full speed ahead getting ready for Midwest Musclecar Challenge doing the normal stuff; pulling wheels to check/bleed brakes, nut/bolt car, review all areas for possible failure points, replace fluids, etc. Then I received an email from Mark Bowler asking if I was available for a mini video/photo shoot going into Goodguy's Nashville. I was already behind at work and working late into the night on the car, but I pulled things together to make it happen. I won't be able to disclose any details, but it was an awesome experience. Much thanks also to PPG for getting me into Goodguy's to park right next to their display which was a prime spot indeed!!

After having fun for the day, it was time to finish up my checklist for my trip to MMC. I had planned to trailer the car, but work demands would force a stopover in Princeton, IN for the day. With little desire to drag a trailer around for work, I decided to drive the car instead. I figured it made it through Cars and Cones without much of a hitch, so why not?? Before I left, I needed to install the new tank straps for my Aeromotive Stealth tank. As luck would have it, they sent me the wrong straps so they were too short. Resigned, I got one to work and left the ratchet strap in place. A quick call got me apologies and new straps on the way, but they wouldn't deliver until Friday. A quick text to Tom Farrington and they were shipped to his place rather than mine for install hopefully early Friday morning.

One more stop was required before I left town. It was time to get the RE-71R on the car, my first set of 200TW tires. I have to admit giving up the Runflat's felt a little weird considering I carry no spare, but I was willing to roll the dice. I know BFG is a big sponsor of our events, but their limited choices of Rival S sizes left no other option. I was told they needed to be heat cycled for maximum life so the long drive to Indy would handle that task.

The drive itself went great with no hiccups or anything. I did grab a few pics along the way since I had some time....

Once work was done, it was time to play. First stop was at Farrington Hot Rods since Tom had assembled his collection of tank strap spares to see if we could find a winner. As luck would have it, we found that a Rick's tank strap was the perfect size. With Tom's help, we got it installed and tightened up. I was really worried the other straps would deliver late impacting my ability to get on the track, but Tom really pulled a rabbit out of the hat for me. I can't thank him enough for his help. Definitely a great friend!!

With the car squared up safety wise, I got to my hotel anticipating a great time at Putnam Park with the MMC gang. As luck would have it, being a novice driver again, I landed Chris Jacobs as my instructor for the day. He's got a lot of experience driving fast on this course with his own 66 Chevelle so his advice and direction was very beneficial and helpful considering he understood our flying bricks. The first 3 twenty min sessions were spent in fourth gear the entire time just to allow me to work on the proper line around the track. Hitting the correct marks for entry and exit were key to going fast. By the third session, I knew without him saying if I did something wrong as the car felt different since my line was improper. I really felt Chris did a fantastic job coaching me along the way and letting me build up my confidence driving the car. When we started the fourth session, there had been a slight shower on the track so it was a little wet but the surface would dry without an issue.

We headed down the front straight into turn one like before, but prior to turn 2 I dropped the car down to 3rd in order to keep the revs up for better acceleration and engine braking. The car was a different animal, and Chris was coaching me on dropping the hammer between the turns for maximum speed. By the third lap, I felt really comfortable pushing the car and was therefore laying it all out there. The RE-71R's were biting hard with no sign of losing grip so I kept pushing harder into and out of each corner. I caught a few other drivers and got the point by's which felt really good!! I did get a little overzealous once and dropped two tires into the grass which unsettled the car briefly, but Chris let me get control and then offered some advice on not over driving the car/track and we were off again. The next lap I was hammering the car out of the last turn before the front straight and carried great speed all the way toward the braking zone, but I still checked up early. I continued my assault the rest of the lap earning a solid 1:29:11 lap which I felt was very good for only my fourth session as a novice. Trying to get a little more, I pushed a little harder on the next lap and all was going well until I came off turn 9 on the rumble strip which was still a little wet from the previous shower. The car got loose and I counter steered both ways to regain control, but I did four wheel drift into the grass gracefully. We inched back out on track assessing the situation, and again Chris was a class act. I started to get going again on the front straight, but the flag was waving that our 20 min session was over. Time had flew by, but this was great fun and I learned a lot. Putnam Park is a great track and I'm looking forward to returning when possible. Again, kudo's to Chris for his help coaching, cheering, and teaching along the way. From start to finish, he really helped me become comfortable in the car at speed so that I felt more confident at the start of each session as the day went on. Now I just need to decide on an action camera so that I can video my runs next time.

All in, I only had one issue all day, the front shocks just didn't have enough adjustment. The earlier sessions hadn't been that bad due to slower speeds, but when I started going faster in the third session the car got very bouncy half way through it. With Chris's advice, I planned to make some shock changes to adapt. That said, their just wasn't enough range to make a difference. I ended up checking up early on the front to keep the car settled going into turn 1, but I still hit a top speed of 129mph that session. Overall, I had planned to upgrade to Ridetech TQ later this year so I'll just have to move up that timetable. My budget will only handle HQ's right now for the front to match the back, but I'll work with Rodney at Ridetech on spring selection to get the most out of them. TQ's can come later on after more seat time if necessary.

A few pics from the day:

Summary:
- RE-71Rs are flat out full of AWESOMENESS!!!
- A great coach/instructor is valuable to learning out to drive fast while in control (more than just pushing the right pedal)
- Some shocks just aren't made to handle this type of driving
- The LS made great power, and it does indeed pull all the way to the 7000 redline!!
- The C6Z06 brakes with StopTech pads may be noisy on the street, but they are oh so perfect on track
- Did I mention the RE-71Rs are AWESOME!!!

And that was only day 1!!!

Stay tuned for day 2....

Kerry
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, AI, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Auto, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Philip; Jun 1st, 16 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 460 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 12:47 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

WOW!!!!! That is awesome! Way to go Kerry! It is really cool to see these cars out on the track being pushed hard instead of being trailer queens. Nice job man!

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #438 of 460 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 7:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Excellent write up, thanks. Sounds like a hell of a time, and a very nice car.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #439 of 460 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 8:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Great write up as always Kerry. Great to see/hear the Chevelle community coming together to get help for a member in need. (Way to go Tom!)

I love the fact that you built this thing, and are out there racing it...driving it to the events...using it hard.

I am sure you will give a detailed description of the difference with the new shocks and the differences when you get those installed...can't wait.

Thanks for the updates, keep up the good work/use of that car!

Dan

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
post #440 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmacozmy View Post
WOW!!!!! That is awesome! Way to go Kerry! It is really cool to see these cars out on the track being pushed hard instead of being trailer queens. Nice job man!
Thanks, I built her to drive so I'm all in!! Trailers are for boats I believe is the quote!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Excellent write up, thanks. Sounds like a hell of a time, and a very nice car.
Thanks so much!! A lot of great people have helped me along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Great write up as always Kerry. Great to see/hear the Chevelle community coming together to get help for a member in need. (Way to go Tom!)

I love the fact that you built this thing, and are out there racing it...driving it to the events...using it hard.

I am sure you will give a detailed description of the difference with the new shocks and the differences when you get those installed...can't wait.

Thanks for the updates, keep up the good work/use of that car!

Dan
Thanks Dan, I enjoy writing about the experience and hope it will inspire others (like it did me) to get out there with their own car. This hobby is great!!
cozmacozmy likes this.

SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, AI, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Auto, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

post #441 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Day 2 of MMC

We started the day with a wet track due to rain the night before. As we started walking the course, I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical considering it had a Goodguy's vibe to it. With it looping around back toward the beginning, this was going to be my first experience running this type of layout. Others were shaking their heads as well, but we were willing to give it our best shot.

The first couple of runs the track was still wet so I managed to clip a some cones trying to learn my way around it. By the third run the sun had come out along with the heat from the cars so the course was starting to dry off nicely. As expected, times started dropping like rock with the fastest in the mid 26s.

I was doing better each time driving the harder into the turn and working on lines, but the car kept losing grip in the turns and on corner exit. I was confused as to what was going on since the RE-71s had been shining so brightly. I felt it was time to ask some questions and see what I could figure out. This led me to Aaron Oberle, owner of the G-Velle, as he's been competitive so a while now. His experience with Chevelle's was also helpful. I figured out that he had already drove a few cars giving the owners help, and since he was willing I asked him to do the same for me. We set it up for the next run.

Unfortunately, things wouldn't go as planned. I was located by the Ridetech group as they noticed fuel leaking from underneath the car. I initially thought it was just pressure in the fuel tank, but upon further review it was steady leaking. I crawled underneath and identified the issue as the overflow valve leaning horizontally so that the valve wasn't closed. I had made a bracket, but it was no where to be found. Thanks to the guys from Ridetech I was offered anything and everything I needed to get it patched. They even had a fire ext, drain pan, etc. just in case either were needed. I got some zip ties and using several got it back up and secured so that it would finish the day and get me home. At this point, I'm going to need to prioritize a fuel vent such as offered by Finch.
Day 2 of MMC

We started the day with a wet track due to rain the night before. As we started walking the course, I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical considering it had a Goodguy's vibe to it. With it looping around back toward the beginning, this was going to be my first experience running this type of layout. Others were shaking their heads as well, but we were willing to give it our best shot.

The first couple of runs the track was still wet so I managed to clip a some cones trying to learn my way around it. By the third run the sun had come out along with the heat from the cars so the course was starting to dry off nicely. As expected, times started dropping like rock with the fastest in the mid 26s.

I was doing better each time driving the harder into the turn and working on lines, but the car kept losing grip in the turns and on corner exit. I was confused as to what was going on since the RE-71s had been shining so brightly. I felt it was time to ask some questions and see what I could figure out. This led me to Aaron Oberle, owner of the G-Velle, as he's been competitive so a while now. His experience with Chevelle's was also helpful. I figured out that he had already drove a few cars giving the owners help, and since he was willing I asked him to do the same for me. We set it up for the next run.

Unfortunately, things wouldn't go as planned. I was located by the Ridetech group as they noticed fuel leaking from underneath the car. I initially thought it was just pressure in the fuel tank, but upon further review it was steady leaking. I crawled underneath and identified the issue as the overflow valve leaning horizontally so that the valve wasn't closed. I had made a bracket, but it was no where to be found. Thanks to the guys from Ridetech I was offered anything and everything I needed to get it patched. They even had a fire ext, drain pan, etc. just in case either were needed. I got some zip ties and using several got it back up and secured so that it would finish the day and get me home. At this point, I'm going to need to prioritize a fuel vent such as offered by Finch.

I skipped the next heat after drying off the fuel just to ensure the car was safe to drive. Next time around, "hot shoe" Aaron was behind the wheel. His car is somewhat similar to mine; tire size, weight, rear gear, trans, etc. The biggest difference is the big ol' Mast Black Label 416 between his fenders. My engine is strong for what it is, but nothing like his setup. I guess the biggest change is that my car run best in 1st due to the low speed corners where his could run 2nd all the way due to the extra HP/TQ. We were off and Aaron was chatting the entire way which led to him asking if I like my inside tire in the 180 turn. I was perplexed, but I felt somewhat bad that I did have a pad to take notes. After the run, he explained my car was unloading the inside rear tire in the turns. I didn't quite have the feel to know what was wrong, though I felt something causing the loss of grip.

On my next run, I concentrated on capturing the feel of an unloaded tire. After getting that burned into memory, I also started paying more attention to how the car was leaning in the turns. With the added grip, the car was shifting more weight which was overwhelming the front spring/shock along with the rear 225lb spring in the rear. I should have had 300lb rear springs as spec'ed by Tom Farrington, but I had somehow received 225s. This just wasn't enough spring to keep the tire planted in the turns. After the run, Aaron explained that he confirmed visually what he felt in the car. It was nice to finally have some direction to improve the car.

I kept pushing the car nonetheless on the last runs, and even got a ride from Aaron in his car which is extremely impressive and fast. Wow is all I'll say!! I ended up breaking into the 28 sec range on my last run with a 28.987 which left me mid pack for the day. I continually improved which was my goal, and the seat time gained from the week long Cars and Cones have really helped me get faster and faster which each event.

After the final run, I was able to chat with Rodney Mason from Ridetech on my car and where to go from here. It centered on what I had now, and how "mean" I wanted to go.

A few pics courtesy of Dave Dean at Brunt Bridge Images:

A picture of the logo for our main sponsor - Bowler Performance

A pic of Aaron in the driver's seat looking ahead.....

A pic that really shows the level of lean unloading the inside rear tire....

The greatest surprise was when my name was drawn for the tie down straps offered by CarBuffNetwork and presented by Mark Bowler. For a guy without a trailer who drove to the event, I loaded them into the trunk for the drive home. At least now I have another reason for the wife to agree that I need an enclosed trailer with living quarters.... ;0

Currently, I have a set of 300llb rear springs on the way from Ridetech to swap out the 225s. I've also had several conversations with Rodney discussing my setup and options. We're close to a HQ/TQ setup with some mean valving to hopefully get me performing at another level. So stay tuned for the install of some new parts!!

Kerry
cozmacozmy likes this.

post #442 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 16, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've been acquiring parts for the next phase of upgrades, and I was able to spend part of my Father's Day working on the Ol' Heap.

I had picked up some Ridetech lower arms at Ron Sutton's last class, but I was waiting for the right time to put them on. When I pulled apart the front end to check for shock failures, I figured now was as good a time as any. I swapped over the Howe tall ball joints with the intention of using my existing spindles. Eventually I'll add the Ridetech spindles, but since they are based on the disc spindle they'll have to be shimmed different than my current setup so I'll put that swap off to later. It will also give me a good excuse to tweak on the car again....lol

Here are the new lower StrongArms from Ridetech. Extremely nice and beefy pieces. I will add that they slipped right in my frame pockets, a little firm of course but otherwise no issues. I've read that some had issues getting the nicer bushings to fit, but I guess my frame hadn't been cranked on compressing the pockets unnecessarily.

The arms came with new hardware, and new ball standard ball joints, which was nice to have. It's always nice to not have to use old bolts with new parts. As stated, they slipped in the pockets with firm pressure and took no time to get bolted in. I swapped over my sway bar links onto the new arm, but I will point out that there is no provision for the stock bump stops. It's doubtful I'll need them, but it's important to let everyone know.

In no time, both StrongArms were installed and waiting on front coilovers to arrive. A much better look than the stock arms, and I'm sure a much safer option considering my end use of the vehicle.

After getting the front done as much as possible, I went ahead and lifted the car up in the back so I could start swapping out the rear 225lb coilover springs for the 300lb springs I got from Ridetech. Hopefully I get things done this week, but I'll miss this weekend's local SCCA meet as I don't expect to have everything put back together in time. I'm still waiting on my wheel to ship back so I'm not sure I'll be that competitive with only three wheels on the ground. I tried that at MMC already.....

I also want to again thank Rodney at Ridetech for all the tech help so far with my latest upgrades. There entire team has been great at events helping out, but Rodney has went above and beyond answering questions and educating me on my future setup. I'm just a car guy and they are bending over backwards to help so don't hesitate to give them a call if you're doing something similar.

Kerry
cozmacozmy likes this.

post #443 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 1:03 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyte View Post
A pic of Aaron in the driver's seat looking ahead.....

A pic that really shows the level of lean unloading the inside rear tire....
I was totally getting ready to roast that inside rear

Aaron

65 Chevelle HT,
post #444 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 10:31 AM
Tech Team

Wow, reading about all your on track fun is awesome! I love the car, great job sir.
cozmacozmy likes this.

Protouring Texas builds-
78' K5 -Bdydrptk5-

71' Chevelle 6.0 LSx, LS9 heads, Magnuson, T56 -

70' Chevelle "Evil Annie" Lsx/6L90/Turbo-
Facebook- Protouringtexasdotcom
Instagram- @Protouringtexas
post #445 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 16, 4:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownfast View Post
Wow, reading about all your on track fun is awesome! I love the car, great job sir.
Thanks on all accounts! Hope to see you out there someday!!
post #446 of 460 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, a quick change in plans but what else is new.....

With more thought and discussion, I decided to go ahead and install the Ridetech Spindles for two main reasons: (1) Ridetech knows how that system works and will be able to better help me get the car better/faster, (2) The extra height of the RT spindle (.35in taller than stock spindle with tall ball pins) will allow me to use a shock with more stroke, 4.1 vs 3.6 inches and a taller spring. So with this last minute change on the menu, I needed to order some more parts to get it all installed.

First up was ball joints. I've really enjoyed the Howe ball joints that I got from SC&C as they are rebuildable which is extremely nice. I'm able to take them apart to check for issues and order replacements as needed. Therefore, instead of using the ball joints that came with the RT arms I ordered standard height pins from Howe to swap out. Once they arrived, it was time to pull the rest of the front end apart to swap them out. I've never seen this done before so I figured I would snap some pictures along the way in case someone wants to do the same upgrade.

First off, here is the ball joint cover. You'll notice the grease fitting in the center along with the four points in the cap that fit a 1/2 drive perfectly. Just ignore the grease, I cleaned it out, but wanted to show it natural!!

Once the grease fitting is removed, the wrench fits perfectly. That said, don't unscrew it yet as there are two safety pins for each cap to ensure it doesn't back out.

When the safety pins are out, it's time to start spinning the upper and lower bj caps so as to pull the pins.

When the cap are off, the pins just pull out the back. Here is what the bj's look like sans the pins. You'll see the threads for the caps out of steel where the caps are aluminum so if any threads go it will be the cap itself which is replaceable.

Bottom

Before installing the new pins, I wanted to show a picture of the std and long pins. .9 extra length for the upper and .5 extra length for the lower.

As easy as they were removed, they installed in the reverse. Just be sure to set the backlash. Tighten the cap until it hits the back of the pin, and then back it off 1/8 turn. Afterwards, just reinstall the safety pins and move on to the next. When finished, it's time to move on to the next step.

With the pins replaced, it was simple to install the RT spindle. You'll notice the extra holes on the tall spindle as the steering arm and brake bracket will now use separate points. This is due to the 1.75 taller height along with the 2in drop. One concern I see is will there be interference between the bolts and the Hellwig sway bar links. I may be able to move the lower bracket around to provide more room, but we'll have to see if it's enough.

Of course, my bliss was short lived as I was introduced to issue #2 and #3. My 66 has the early steering arms that were held on with a 7/16 bolt. The later models had the hole enlarged to 1/2in so the bolts used for the arms were too big for my stock steering arms. I dropped them off at the machine shop to be opened up as I wanted it done with a drill press and a reamer so as to avoid changing the hole rather than just enlarging it. They should be ready tomorrow.

With solution to #2 in process, I moved on to issue #3. The RT spindle is based on a disc spindle rather than the drum spindle so the bracket from Kore3 won't fit as it is. A quick call to Tobin at Kore3 detailed the issue and fortunately they already have a solution. Basically, a .594 spacer is needed to level up the bracket on the spindle, but the separate holes for the steering arms and bracket necessitated different length bolts for the lower point and the upper point on the top of the spindle. So an order was made, and I'll move on since Tobin has already engineered a fix. No reason to stack up washers as I want to get it done right from the start. I won't be able to get the brakes on until the parts arrive, but I'll be able to get the arm and hubs on until the package arrives.

With a hard stop today for the front suspension, I moved to the rear coilovers and swapped out the 225lb springs for the 300lb springs. Nothing much to show since I covered the install earlier, but here is a side by side shot just for the heck of it with the 300lb spring on the right. The car does sit a bit higher as expected so I'll need to adjust the ride height all over again once everything is back together under it's own weight.

More updates to follow as parts arrived.....

Kerry
cozmacozmy likes this.

post #447 of 460 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 16, 5:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Over the weekend, I was able to install the steering arms and associated brake hardware. That said, let me first catch everyone up on the bad luck that pushed my updates to the now.

After MMC, I was already looking at Ridetech coilovers for an upgrade, but my timetable was not as fixed initially. I went to have my paint guy check out a few of the new chips from Putnam so as to setup some time for repairs, and afterwards was on my way back to the house. Unfortunately, I came upon a truck pulling a horse trailer that decided he wanted more of the two lane road than I expected. In turn, I moved off the road way to avoid a for sure collision and hoped that was the end of it since the guy never slowed down and the car seemed ok. Fast forward a few days until the weekend, and I'm washing the car only to find some unexpected damage. I guess I should have checked more carefully when I got home before, but the car didn't seem hurt and the passenger side was against the garage wall.

This is what I found upon first inspection:

With more inspection now that I was mad, I found that the driver side wheel was damaged as well though not as bad as the passenger side. So the passenger fender was kicked out of alignment and two wheels bent along with the suspect shocks I had planned to replace. So, after the weekend I started making calls to get everything on the road to repair. I have to say that Larue Insurance has been great, and Alex was quick to get things moving and keep tabs on the process. I will say I'm less than pleased with the actual insurance company as they've dragged their feet for almost a month.....

The wheels I have, offset/width speaking, are no longer offered so a call to BBS of America was in order. I have to admit BBS has been a great company to work with and they got me fixed up with no complaints on my end, all they asked for was payment and pictures of my car since they don't typically see their wheels on old iron. So a few weeks wait, and my two front wheels were on there way to me. They wanted my old barrels to investigate the damage as they were surprised to hear my simple off road excursion damaged them both. I expect to hear back at some point if they find anything. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with their customer service and outright speed at which they got the wheels replaced.

Now, on to updates!!
First off, even someone that has swapped ball joint pins a time or two can make a mistake. It usually happens when I'm trying to do multiple things at once, mostly talking rather than paying attention. That said, here is what happens if you try to remove a BJ cap from a Howe ball joint without removing the safety locks....

The threads peeled right off the alum cap, but it would not come off without the safety pins out. I know that as once I figured what I did, I decided to see if I could pull it out anyway....

With a new cap received, I put everything back together and was able to start installing the steering arms. I had to get the holes enlarged to 1/2 in my early arms, but afterwards they installed without an issue. The only questionable part is the clearance between the sway bar links and the front steering arm bolt. The bolt is short, but when turned to the stop, I had to rotate the link to free up some space. I'm guessing the Ridetech bar links provide plenty of room, but the Hellwig links are not skinny at all with the beefy lower bracket.

I'll keep an eye on the clearance, but for now I'll move on to the brakes. With the Ridetech spindle being based on a disc setup, I knew my existing bolts wouldn't work nor would the Kore3 bracket that was for a drum spindle. A quick call to Tobin got me the necessary parts to get it all installed and lined up correctly. I have to give a shout out to Tobin for getting the parts shipped so quickly so that I could work on it this past weekend. He's a great guy in which to buy parts for his awesome customer service skills!! With the new Kore3 parts, the brakes went on so easy it was almost a blur. In no time everything was together and just waiting on the new Ridetech coilovers to arrive to finish up.

Hopefully, the new RT TQ's will arrive this week along with the wheels so that I can get everything mounted and ready for another alignment. How fast things move will dictate whether I make all of Motorstate or not later this month. Worst case, I'll still drive to Indiana for the AutoX portion even if I miss the fun at Gingerman. I just want to get some miles on the new setup before going all out.

Stay tuned for the final finish...lol

Kerry

post #448 of 460 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 16, 2:28 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

What numbers do you run for alignment specs?

'67 Chevelle in hibernation.
post #449 of 460 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 16, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmacozmy View Post
What numbers do you run for alignment specs?
Setup prior to teardown, but will likely start back in same place initially:

-0.9 camber
5.2 caster
0.0 toe

Kerry
post #450 of 460 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 16, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, the upgraded suspension is finally complete but it wasn't without difficulty caused by everything other than the new parts. My last replacement wheel had arrived that got bent so the end was close or so I thought....

First the Ridetech parts. First class quality stuff. Great instructions, fit perfect, no fussing at all. Just deciding where to best set the ride height was the toughest question. Once all installed, I drilled holes in the inner fenders for the remote canisters. Very pleased with this setup!!

I got everything together and scheduled an appointment to get the new front aligned, and on the way there the front end had settled lower than expected so I made it less than one block. Back at the house, I raised the coilovers 1 inch to give me clearance I needed at the settled height, and I was ready to take off again. Unfortunately, when I put my foot on the brake to start rolling down the driveway I had no brakes. Of course I hadn't touched the brakes since I got back home, but I started looking the front for a leak. Several hours later I found my left rear caliper leaking out of the outer bleeder. No issues before and it decided now was the time to go bad.

I checked online and there is a national backorder on the C6Z06 calipers so I began checking Craigslist and forums to see if I could get lucky. It just so happened I found a rear pair of calipers in Cleveland, yellow rather than red, so it was possible I could pick them up while there on a business trip. I was able to make a deal on them and just needed to get up there to pick them up. I got in touch with Tobin at Kore3 to ask about possible repairs of the leaking caliper. He suggested drilling out the bleeder hole and adding a helicoil since the thread had stripped. I don't have a drill press so I farmed this task out to Wide Open Design to ensure I got it done right. I'll give it a try later on, but this is just a back up now until winter.

With the new/used rear caliper installed and bled, I was ready to take the car for a quick drive. This is when my next problem hit, the car wouldn't idle. With further review, I found the passenger side bank of injectors weren't firing. So, I then spent the next few days on and off tracking wires looking for a short. When that didn't work out, I started looking closer at the PCM and fuse box in the engine compartment. I tracked it down to the power wire for that bank. At the box, I had 12V as needed but voltage was dropping off as injectors were plugged in taking the total to less than 3 V. In the end, I found the hot wire from the fuse box had worked its way back so I wasn't getting a good connection. I ended up pulling the wire to pull the tabs out again, and I also rerouted the wiring to come out the side of the fuse box rather than below it so there wasn't weight creating tension on the bulk of wires. Odd situation, but it seemed that was my luck.

With the wiring issue resolved, it was finally time for a test drive. The car run great, but wow the steering was way off. I had changed lower arms, spindles, and coilovers so it wasn't unexpected. I snapped a few pics and then took it back home.

The next day it was off to the alignment shop to get her tracking straight so that I could start getting ready for the CAM Challenge. The trip there was uneventful and the alignment went fast.

When I headed back home, I got no further than one block and the car started backfiring and stumbling. Of course I was in traffic so it was not the right time for another problem to pop up. I pulled her off and checked my wiring repair and all was OK. Therefore, I was now having another problem though no CEL codes were being thrown. I finally nursed her back home and then it was time to start searching for the next solution. After verifying spark, I moved to fuel. When I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge, there was only 28psi at the rail where there should be around 58psi, and it was dropping to zero quickly once the pump stopped priming. I really hoped it was a filter/regulator problem so I ordered one of them to pick up the next day. While waiting I went ahead and pulled the rail to check that none on the injectors were leaking fuel, which they weren't. As expected, the new regulator didn't solve the problem so it was time to drop the fuel tank (with 15+ gallons of fuel in it)....

With help from the wife, I got the tank out and pulled the fuel pump. I didn't see anything visually wrong with it, but I suspected it had failed nonetheless. As I kept looking for the root cause, I started hearing an "air release" sound from the tank once the pump was done priming that coincided with the pressure drop at the rail. I phone call to Aeromotive had us all thinking it was a check valve failure. I got the RGA to send it back, but I ordered a new pump in order to get it going faster. My hope for making CAM Challenge was over, but I could still make the local SCCA event if luck was on my side.

Once the new Stealth 340 pump was recieved, I got out my soldering iron and got it installed in the bucket. It was simple remove/replace operation, but I do wish I had installed a fuel pump trap door in the trunk. That may be a future project if this happens again anytime soon. Once all back together, I primed the system with my fuel gauge hooked to the rail and I was back at 60psi and holding. It started up and sounded great like normal. Once all was cleaned up, I took her for a test drive and made here suffer a bit just to see if anything else was going to break or go bad.....

With the test drive a success, I cleaned her up and took her to the local cruise in that Saturday night as another test run before AutoX the next day. The car did great, but I don't know that the locals understood or appreciated my Pro Touring car. Oh well, different strokes but it was fun nonetheless.

Next day it was AutoX time. I was up early that morning and on my way, but it was to be sidelined temporarily. I had a car flag me over halfway there and I was thinking they just wanted to check it out. Instead, they pointed out that I had lost a fuel tank strap. This was now the second time, and I had checked it closely when I reinstalled the tank the previous day. I'm convinced now that the slot for the passenger side strap in the repro pan is slightly off or something which allows the strap to slip out when tightened down. I have a plan to remedy it later, but for now I just strapped the tank back up like before and proceeded to the track.

Kerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1028 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.