HEI in 1970 ELCO w/402 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
steve

HEI in 1970 ELCO w/402

Gentleman,
The stock point distributor looks pretty nasty, and should get rebuilt ($175.00) or I can get an HEI for alot cheaper....so I need your help and advise again. will a HEI distributor (Proform, MSD, AC-Delco) fit a 1970 elco w/402 bb, cast iron intake, stock aircleaner (q-jet), cowl hood (no door)? If so, anyone have pictures of their setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Send a message via AIM to 72ElCamino Send a message via Skype™ to 72ElCamino
Re: HEI in 1970 ELCO w/402

depending on how expensive or cheap you want to go there is something. I got a distributor from skip white performance that was about 55-60 bucks and a new set of precut wires to work with the hei for another 50 bucks. It was under 100 bucks shipped to my door. This was about a year and a half ago and has been running great ever since.

I realize the distributor is made overseas but the price was right and it made a world of difference on my engines performance over breaker points

Depends on how bad you want american made stuff and how much money you have.. I'm just saying the cap of this distributor looks very similar to a cap on a mallory.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-350 with Muncie M20, 12 bolt rear. Work In Progress
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
steve

did you have to change any of the wiring (supply side)?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 2:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

yeah you have to make a harness from the battery side of the hei cap down to the fuse panel to a "hot" lead with key on. other than that it should a straight drop in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 2:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

the pertronix set-up is nice. I run an hei in my 67ss and you can tell a difference with it. if I had an all original ride I think I would check in to the pertronix though.....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 2:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ElCamino View Post
Depends on how bad you want American made stuff and how much money you have.. I'm just saying the cap of this distributor looks very similar to a cap on a Mallory.

Matt
Thats because they copy the design.

I would go with an AC-Delco or the MSD. Even a rebuilt unit from Pep-Boys is better than Pro-Form or any other Chinese distributors. Do a search on this site for Pro-Form. It will save you some money and headaches.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 3:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

or get one from the boneyard and rebuild it.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad hooker View Post
or get one from the boneyard and rebuild it.
Here is a great article if you go this route.
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 5:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcoman View Post
I would go with an AC-Delco or the MSD. Even a rebuilt unit from Pep-Boys is better than Pro-Form or any other Chinese distributors. Do a search on this site for Pro-Form. It will save you some money and headaches.
I bought one a few years ago from Summit, I was going to use it for a "test stand type setup, but it ended up sitting for 2+ years... Summit Brand HEI, with cap and 50kV coil, $90...

I ended up adding a Summit CD box (mostly for the rev limiter) and dropping it in my 70, and its been in the car for 3 years, and still runs great (decent mechanical curve and an adjustible vacuum canister). Ran low 12's and spun over 6500 RPM...

Not sure where it was made. Possibly China, but I don't recall seeing any stickers, etc...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 5:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I bought one a few years ago from Summit, I was going to use it for a "test stand type setup, but it ended up sitting for 2+ years... Summit Brand HEI, with cap and 50kV coil, $90...

I ended up adding a Summit CD box (mostly for the rev limiter) and dropping it in my 70, and its been in the car for 3 years, and still runs great (decent mechanical curve and an adjustible vacuum canister). Ran low 12's and spun over 6500 RPM...

Not sure where it was made. Possibly China, but I don't recall seeing any stickers, etc...
It seems that the Summit brands are made in America.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Hmmm... let me see here for a minute...

Points that wear out and need adjusting along with a seperate coil to mount somewhere...
versus an electronic sensor with no rubbing parts that never needs adjusting and has everything built in...

Yup I would rebuild NOT

I run an HEI in my '68 Elco with a 402. Have to replace the resistance wire from the bulkhead connector up to the distributor. Easy peasy.

Steve
1968 El Camino, 402 with TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3343 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.