1970 Chevelle Pro Touring on a High School Student Budget - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

1970 Chevelle Pro Touring on a High School Student Budget

After finally committing to an engine for my 1970 Chevelle (a 6.0 Vortec), I figure it is about time I made a build thread. I bought my car in January of 2010 when I was 15. It was the first car I looked at so I probably jumped the gun a little bit and could have gotten one that was a little more solid but I have always enjoyed a challenge.

I then proceeded to take it apart. In my infinite wisdom, I did not document how things went together or what the fasteners were so I know that is going to come back and bite me when it comes time to put the car back together.

After pulling the motor and transmission and getting the body off of the frame, I realized the that frame had multiple cracks and splits in it. I have no idea how I could have missed all of the cracks when I first checked out the car. This should be a lesson for anyone looking at a project car: check everything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6.0 LQ4, T56, Wilwood brakes, Ridetech Coilovers, Strange 9 Inch

2004 Silverado 2500HD LLY/ZF6

Last edited by Mike; Aug 11th, 17 at 1:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Re: 1970 Chevelle Pro Touring on a High School Student Budget

I bought a solid frame from a fellow TC member and got it assembled with Energy Suspension bushings, Moog ball joints, and UMI Performance upper rear control arms. I also bought a set of disk brakes off of a '71 wagon and Eibach lowering springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mike; Aug 11th, 17 at 1:09 PM.
post #3 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

I then towed the frame back up to the the barn where I was storing the body of the Chevelle and reattached it. Then I towed it back down to the garage and started the working on the sheet metal.

This week I bought a gas tank for a 92-96 Caprice and started test fitting it. I only required the frame rails to be ground down a little bit at each corner. I also finished chopping out the rest of the trunk floor. I plan on building my own frame braces and reusing the gas tank braces. Then I will build the trunk floor out of sheet metal with an access door to the fuel sending unit of the gas tank.

So that is all of my progress so far. I just bought a 6.0 Vortec engine out of a 2001 Silverado on ebay and it should be here on Tuesday. I plan on finishing up the bottom sheet metal so that I can take the body back off of the frame to paint it, then start working on the drivetrain.

David

Last edited by Mike; Aug 11th, 17 at 1:09 PM.

post #4 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 10:08 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

Nice work David. I bought my 65 in high school too....23 years ago. Just now starting on it. It was to big of a project for me back then, so its sat, waiting. I admire your committment, it'll be fun doing it and nice when its done. Good luck, I'll be watching for updates. Hope to start a build thread on mine soon.

Aaron

65 Chevelle HT,
post #5 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

yikes. pretty impressive work there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #6 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Looks like you have the drive and some know how which can be a dangerous combination.

I miss the days of living at home no bills, and working just after High School. All the spare money could go to cars or girls.

Lamar
93 Corvette Polo Green ZF6 [email protected] Koni SA, GS Brakes Gone
00 FRC C5 H&C (TEA Stg 2 5.3 truck heads & Futral F11 228/230 112+4), 436rwhp 415rwtq 04 Z06 Suspension, MovIt Brembo Big Reds
70 Chevelle SS396 Green on Green
post #7 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

Wow, I think I will freight over my 70 for you to do a frame off! I don't have much rust though so you might get bored! You have done some nice work for anyone of any age. Wish I had your talents at your young age.

My "Time Machine", sold and gone. Looking for another.

post #8 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 9:06 AM
Tech Team

Wow I remember only dreaming of having a Chevelle back in High school. 22+ years ago.

Good for you Keep up the good work
post #9 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 9:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
TC

When I saw the first couple of pics David my first thought was this kid has gotten himself in over his head. But after seeing and reading your thread I realize I was hasty to judge. Looks good and your doing a great job so far. Some times it take youth and enthusiasm to over come ones fears of getting in over there head and you seem to have both with drive to boot. I'm going to tag this thread so I can watch your progress. Invest in some service manuals like the factory assy. manual and the chassis service manual and it'll help some on the getting the stuff back together. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

1970 Chevelle Malibu 400
25 Astro Blue w/med blue interior
454 w/781's (NOM
)
+.030 10:1 compression
Lunati 60204
Holley Strip Dom. w/800 DP
M-22W 3.31's 12 bolt
Fun but ole girl likes to drink....a lot
post #10 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 9:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to bri2203

Pretty impressie you know how to weld when your only 16-17 years old. I did the same thing to my chevelle but I started when I was 18, I am almost done at 24. I did alot of sheet metal replacement(full quarters, door skins, fenders, hood, rocker decklid etc) and to me it looks like it would be a good idea and see if you can find a nicer body to work with.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
1970 Malibu Hardtop with Fiber optics and electrotip wipers.
post #11 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Malcolm

Great looking work you are doing.
You mention fabing the trunk floor, have you considered raising the floor some to
compensate for the fatter B-body tank? Not necessary, but since you got it cut out anyway.

Keep up the good work,
Malcolm

Malcolm McMullan
67 Malibu under construction
ACES #5401
If your problem is longstanding, try kneeling.

post #12 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 11, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Great project. I purchased my GTO when I was 15 as well. You are doing way more than I ever did at your age. Keep it up.

Raising the trunk floor is a great idea. I would also suggest making an access panel so that you can easily service the fuel pump if it ever goes out.

Andrew

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #13 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 11, 6:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I hadn't thought of raising the floor to compensate for the thicker tank. I will have to look into that. Does anyone know if the stock caprice fuel pump will be up to the task of feeding the 6.0?

post #14 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 11, 6:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabooda View Post
....Does anyone know if the stock caprice fuel pump will be up to the task of feeding the 6.0?
Probably not, but a Walbro 255 l/hr pump is not a very expensive upgrade.

Andrew

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #15 of 330 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 11, 7:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Probably not, but a Walbro 255 l/hr pump is not a very expensive upgrade.

Andrew
Which pump do I get? There are quite a few of them but I found this universal one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GSS341/ Would that fit? When I change the pump I will also redo the wiring because one of the plastic connectors is cracked which is probably not good. Are there any tips to rewiring it? Are there any wires or connections that I can remove to make it simpler?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in