Someday is getting a little closer, 70 Chevelle progress - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 16, 2:17 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: Someday is getting a little closer, 70 Chevelle progress

Darnit. Time flies, I was going to try to make it down to Marana to check out the car and chat. I sent you a message, Maybe we can hook up tomorrow. BTW your car looks great. Just seeing the pictures is motivating me, and making me question some of my directions.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 16, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

A few pics from last weeks adventure.

Another notification popped up in my email from Mind The Cones. There is another autocross this Saturday. The AZ SCCA is holding an event at AZ Motorsports Park.
15402 W Camelback Rd, Litchfield Park. Figured it would give me some much needed seat time.

Other then figuring out I had my front shocks set way too soft,and shortening the driveline, I haven't been able to do much to the Chevelle. Hoping that was most of my over-steer issue I ran into last weekend out. So much for getting a little further along on the cutting and buffing. Oh well at least it's still fun to drive when it's dull.

Any one else thinking of bringing their cars out to AZ Motorsports Park?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

The Chevelle has been getting a lot of use lately. In September I took it up to Arizona Motorsports Park to run the AZSolo autocross. Since my last outing I've rechecked the alignment and made sure the rebound in the shocks were set up correctly. Straight out of the gate the car was a lot better. The front was planted and the rear tracks well. I'm still figuring out that you can't just plant your foot coming out of the corners. It's a mild LS1, but it's enough to make the car exciting to drive.

I hope this comes out. My wife mage a GIF of the Chevelle stepping out around one of the corners. You'll have to click on the picture.

I'm still figuring out the car and learning where the better lines around the cones are. AMP was a tight course and proved to be too much for my power steering pump. By the end of the day in was whining. And another problem started to raise it's ugly head. Pad knock-back. Apparently 315 BFG Rivals have enough traction to flex 9" Ford axles, this pushes the pads back into the rear calipers. The next time you step on the brakes, there's not a lot of pedal.

I found a Jones Racing pump with AN fittings and an aluminum reservoir. I ended up making a simple bracket out of aluminum plate and some machined spacers.

Well it should have been simple, but i spec'd the spacers to the dimensions of the original pump. Then I game the machinist the wrong numbers from my notes. So, after the third trip to the machine shop, I had the correct parts.

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 2:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Another weekend another autocross. I think I may have an addiction. This weekend it's back to Marana. Both my Father-in-Law and my dad made it out this weekend. Dad's ridden in the car several times already. This was Howard's first time in the car. He had a great time and was completely surprised at how well the Chevelle handles. He had a Chevelle when he was younger, so he knows how they used to drive.

There were lots of first this weekend. I started killing cones. I noticed from my videos I was pretty far off most of the cones. That's more time used, so I was working on learning where the edges of the car is. I was also pushing a little harder. Coming out of a tight left into a serpentine the rear stepped out and when it caught, my line was right at the gate cones. They didn't make it.

I did another trip to AMP in October then it was back to Marana. I'm noticing each weekend I learn a lot about what the car likes and how to pick lines. Some of the corners are more difficult for me to pick the best line. Definitely an area to work on.

At least now the car has a little more shine to it. it's starting to what the finished car should look like.

Back to pad knock-back, here's what it starts to look like when the rear brakes decide not to show up.

On a more positive note, I've been comparing my times to the C5 Corvettes that show up. Not a fair comparison, but it gives me a lofty goal to chase down. Scot has a 2003 C5 and I'm usually a few seconds behind him. He's fairly quick and a consistent driver, so he makes a good benchmark. We were running in the same sessions, and comes up to my window as I'm getting ready for one of my runs later in the day. He asks me what I've changed on the car, mostly the driver, I tell him. He says, "man your flying today, you're catching up to my times" I didn't think so, but after looking at the times my best was only 1.6 seconds slower. Not bad for a Chevelle!

The power steering pump died again. Well, actually I caused it's demise. In my haste to get the car ready for AMP, I didn't realize I should flush the steering box first. After AMP, it started making noise. The pump was getting worse. I put a cooler on the car and flushed the fluid. I ran Marana with the pump, but it was on the way out. I tried to find just the pump to replace the Jones Racing pump on the car. Summit tried but sent the wrong part. I ended up returning it and calling Jones Racing. They offered to rebuild the pump and get it back t me in time for the next event I had planned on attending. I sent it to them and soon after they received it they called. They said it was completely shot, they might be able to get it rebuilt, but not in time for my next weekend. They sent me a new pump and said they would try to get this one to me as a spare. By time it was sorted out I got the new pump and the system flushed on Wednesday and still needed to clean the car and have it completely ready for Friday.
deserttaco and Drekoushranada like this.

post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Awesome to see/hear you using the car so much. Great updates.

You think the PS pump will be okay now that you have a cooler and have flushed everything?

Have you looked into the full floater upgrades for the 9" to stop the knock back? I have the bolt on setup from Millerbuilt. Haven't installed it so I can't tell you if it is good or bad, but Jay has been great to work with on it.

Build thread-

Album -
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 16, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Awesome to see/hear you using the car so much. Great updates.

You think the PS pump will be okay now that you have a cooler and have flushed everything?

Have you looked into the full floater upgrades for the 9" to stop the knock back? I have the bolt on setup from Millerbuilt. Haven't installed it so I can't tell you if it is good or bad, but Jay has been great to work with on it.
Man I hope so. The PS made it through two days of racing at Goodguys this past weekend and was still fine. Several cars had pumps fail. It was a really tight first gear course with lots of high RPMs and tight turns. Perfect for killings PS pumps. That weekend will be my next post.

A full floater is in the plans. I'm going with a new housing since it's going to have some different mounts on it in preparation for suspension changes. Then I'll sell off the current parts. I looked at his kit, but I'd still have to modify my housing. I can't add any width.

post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 16, 3:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Garage

Such a gorgeous car, reminds me of when mine was a similar blue color

Pro Touring 1971 Chevelle SS clone
head/cam LS2, 4l60e, 3.42 12 bolt
1.61 60ft [email protected] 1/8th [email protected] 1/4
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 16, 4:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

As I mentioned earlier, I finally made it to Goodguys. I've been wanting to take the Chevelle to Goodguys in Scottsdale for several years. Which is two shows every year, that's a lot of events missed. Either the car wasn't completely assembled or missing something. Well, it's still not finished. But it's running and driving.

Friday my wife and I got up early to make it to Scottsdale for the Goodguys Southwest Nationals. We wanted to get there early to get a spot for the Duel in the Desert autocross. Most of the spots are for competitors already qualified from winning earlier events or picked up enough points to have qualified. There are usually 10 or so spots for people like me to show up and compete to try to qualify.

When we arrived the staging area was already full. We set up our pit area just outside the gates. I didn't feel too bad. Brandi Phillips and the PCRods C10R and Matt Alcala were right beside me. I took a walk through the pits and had a little doubt creep in. It looked like all the fast cars showed up to this event. Most of the big names that run Goodguys and OSUSC events were there. Besides the 21 cars prequalified there were about 30 plus other cars trying for the 11 open spots. There were some serious cars there. I thought this might be a short race day.

My first lap out was a 70.029. Not too bad. The pros were in the 64s. My next run I got down to the 69s. The announcer stated they were going to start cutting the field down. The first cut was 73.00. Hey I made the first cut. The course was really tight and very loose. My car was skating around fairly badly. I asked a certain orange Camaro driver for a little advice on shock adjustments and if she was doing any coaching this weekend. I did a little tweaking and the car got a little better. Later in the afternoon I picked up my driving coach for a lap to see how bad my line choices were. She's a very fun person to have ride with you. It's like having cheerleader in the car. You hit the straights and she's yelling GO!, GO!, GO! Look for your turn in spot, wait for it, Now turn! GO! GO!, GO! I got so into it, I over-cooked a turn or two. But it was a blast! I was grinning from ear to ear. My wife wasn't too happy. I lost a little time from my last run. Apparently she's competitive. Lol. My coach pointed out a few more changes and gave me a few more pointers. Much appreciated.

Towards the end of the day they cut the field down again. This time he cut off was 70.00. I was suprized I made it through both cuts.

Saturday we got to the Scottsdale a little earlier. Unfortunately it still wasn't early enough. Oh well. At least we were in good company. He C10R and now DSE Staci Tucker was out there too. At least I got to walk the course this morning. My first run was decent and I dropped a little more time. Cold temps and a loose course had everyone fighting for traction. They cut the field again getting closer to the fastest 32 that would go to the eliminations. One more run and I shaved a little more time. They made their final cut, and I made it. The officials rearranged the pits and put us inside by the BFG tire archway and gave us stickers for the car.

We got a few more practice laps before the eliminations. I was looking for time but clipped a few cones ruining the runs. During the drivers meeting they showed us the elimination brackets. I was set to go up against yesterday's driving coach. Yep, no pressure! I knew she was going to have a good run. I tried to pull out al the stops but ended up locking the fronts coming into the hard left handed and went wide and off course. Oops made that a little too easy for her.

A little oversteer going through the timing lights.

My wife says this looks like the Camaro is a predator waiting for its prey to make a mistake. Lol

This is not good for a quick time.

To be continued...

post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 16, 4:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Oh well, I was happy to make it to Saturday, and couldn't believe I made it to the eliminations. Not only did I make the field I got into the picture. It's a pretty impressive field to be a part of.

Funny story about this pic. My wife wanted one more glory shot. Some of the cars were starting to leave. I'm posing by the car like we did for the GG pic. A guy and his buddies walk by and he says, "Look at this guy still smiling and posing by his car". I laugh and tell him I'm waiting for my wife to take a picture. He's like, "Don't worry, if I won my way in here I'd be posing by my car smiling too".

Now it's time for a few changes to the car. I'm going to address the brake issues and change the rear suspension a little bit.

post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 16, 12:33 PM
Tech Team
Da'Juan

Looking good! I always figured 315 rears can fit a 1970 A-Body with no problem. Where did you get the side view mirrors from?
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 11:32 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Great looking car! Ron Sutton is definitely a great person to take advice from. I have sat through a couple of his classes that we have had here at RideTech and it is a boat load of information. If you ever have any suspension questions that I can help with feel free to let me know.
Bronco3738 likes this.
post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 17, 1:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Read the first page and the last page. Amazing, beautiful, outstanding are all my thoughts...now to read the meat of the post. To see what you started off with and now have are pretty damn cool. My GF and daughter would both be super jealous of this one, they love the 70 Chevelle. Keep up the great work
Bronco3738 likes this.

I drive...a 65
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drekoushranada View Post
Looking good! I always figured 315 rears can fit a 1970 A-Body with no problem. Where did you get the side view mirrors from?
Sorry haven't been updating this thread lately. I've been either rebuilding the rear of the car or racing it. I need to post some updates on where the car is now. It's now on a torque arm setup with adjustable lower links and a panhard bar.

I got the mirrors from Racers Parts Wholesale.

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...s_Race_Mirrors

post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
Great looking car! Ron Sutton is definitely a great person to take advice from. I have sat through a couple of his classes that we have had here at RideTech and it is a boat load of information. If you ever have any suspension questions that I can help with feel free to let me know.
Yeah you don't realize how much you don't know until he starts talking. Lol. He's been a great help getting the car setup. Now I need to fine tune it, if I can stop changing stuff.

I may be talking to you soon. I'm working on a few F100s. The first one is going to have Ridetech coilovers on the rear at the least. Are you going to be at Vegas for SEMA?

Last edited by Bronco3738; Oct 27th, 17 at 11:15 AM.
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Great to see a Chevelle competing with the some high level competition. What are your spring rates?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 686 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.