LS oil pan ????? Helpppppp!!! - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

LS oil pan ????? Helpppppp!!!

I have a 68 chevelle, stock crossmember stock steering, Lowered with hotchkis 1" drop springs, bilstein shocks. installed 04 5.3 ls truck motor in the frame and the front of the truck pan is hitting the right side of centerlink, preventing it from turning. What pan should i use with out breaking my pockets, Working on a budget will a F body pan off an LS1 work or a cts V pan work with out mods. Im using the eldebrock conversion mounts. I was thinking making spacers to add some height to the mounts. trying to figure the best way!!! goin nuts. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 11:56 AM
Mike

Re: LS oil pan ????? Helpppppp!!!

For the tie-rod issue you will need to raise the mounts, but the truck pan is still going to hang very low in the rear. Ive seen a lot people use the f-body with success and thats what I am going to try to use.

1969 Green Chevelle 2dr
2007 Atomic Orange Z06 Corvette
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

not really cheap, but the autocraft/champ pan fits. i might go with the mast motorsports pan and sell my new autokraft if thats the motor i end up going with. i think both are like 300 new.

"WidowMaker" - 70 Chevelle Pro Touring - Garage Built, Backyard Painted

Special Thanks To:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

Build Thread :

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 4:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

I picked up a cts-v pan with tray, pickup, gasket and oil filter off a crate motor over on the ls1tech forums for $160 shipped. You have to be quick over there though, the best deals get snapped up quickly. I've seen just the pans for as low as $130 over there.

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 7:04 PM
RYU
Tech Team
Regan

F-body pan worked for me but the rear sump is long. It will require you to push the motor back pretty far to the point where tunnel mods are likely in order. After all is said and done I should have spent the money on a custom pan like Tim says but I was also trying to stay within a budget. I'm happy with the result though. F-body pans retains the factory oil capacity and does not sit below the front crossmember. It also forced me to push the motor back for some marginal benefit in weight balance. All positives in my book

I'm curious to see how the CTSV pan sits. I've been out of the LS1tech scene for a while and that seems like the choice pan these days.

1966 Malibu Chevelle LS1 (aspiring daily driver)
1991 Acura NSX (aspiring panty dropper)
1970 Chevelle SS Convertible 396 Sold (bye bye)
and some more other junk you may not care to know...

WIP:
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 7:29 PM
Tech Team

I used a modified f body pan by street and performance, you may be able to use it unmodified ,kept the motor low and back with no tunnel or frame mods ,the f body has the best clearence up front as far as the gm pans go , on ls1tech you can find the pan dimensions, Mast motorsports just came out with a new pan , dont know the price though
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 1:12 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Like the people above posted, The F-body pan is pretty popular. However I don't know if it will work with the stock framestands in the stock location and the Edelbrock plates. I don't believe that they push the engine back far enough. You would need to move the Frame stands back a little, but it would fit.

The CTS-V pan is the best choice in my honest opinion. It is a little deeper than the F-body pan. I can attest that it fits with the framestands in the stock location. It hangs down below the crossmember about an inch. With some small spacers under the frame stands it'll clear the tie rod ends.

The MAST pan looks killer, and probably the best fit for these cars. I don't think it's available yet, and from what I have read, it isn't a huge priority for MAST, so the final due date isn't clear. Cost isn't clear just yet either...

FYI, I agree with Chuck71. I found my CTS-V pan on LS1Tech.com for $130 shipped to my house. It was brand new (Off of a crate engine) and came with the pan, windage tray, gasket, pickup tube, and even filter (No I'm not going to use the filter) but it was super clean for quite a bit less than other options.

Steve

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 1:17 AM
Mike

I will also stat that I am not going to run the frame stands in the stock location, I plan to mount them where ever they need to be to allow the f-body pan to fit.

1969 Green Chevelle 2dr
2007 Atomic Orange Z06 Corvette
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 7:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

cts-v sounds nice, but i cant afford to have anything other than the headers hang below the front x-member.. and my current headers barly hang below.

any of you guys have pics of your oil pan/engine set back set ups?

aaron

1971 Chevelle: L96 6.0, 232/244 cam, t56, 411's, 460whp/430wq...still trying for 11's.. 12.3 @ 115 1.89 60'
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 9:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

Bczee over on ls1tech is running the CTS-V pan. He had one of the original A-body LS swap topics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2353903

I have a Champ racing pan that I picked up on GP off of LS1tech. The extra oil control is worth the extra cash IMO. Autokraft and Sommersracing is the same pan. Somers did the GP, if enough are interested it maybe worth trying again.

Lamar
93 Corvette Polo Green ZF6 [email protected] Koni SA, GS Brakes Gone
00 FRC C5 H&C (TEA Stg 2 5.3 truck heads & Futral F11 228/230 112+4), 436rwhp 415rwtq 04 Z06 Suspension, MovIt Brembo Big Reds
70 Chevelle SS396 Green on Green
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

Looks like bc used stock exhaust manifold as well. I was just about to buy some doug's headers but I think I'll just try and dig up some stockers for now.
I don't think the cts-v pans hangs down that much. retrolsx also makes and sells a pan and is super helpful on the phone. Give him a shout; I think he does swaps for a living in GA.

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

thanks guys im gonna look into the cts v pan! i love this site!!!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 8:59 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked68 View Post
thanks guys im gonna look into the cts v pan! i love this site!!!

One thing to watch out for with the CTS-V pan is that GM Doesn't seem to make the Old style CTS-V pan anymore... The New style CTS-V pan has some oil cooler bosses cast into the side of the pan that interfere with the crossmember. So you'll need to be on the lookout for the "Old" style CTS-V pan.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 1:02 AM
Tech Team
Jason

LS Series Muscle Car Oil Pan Kit 19212593
www.crateenginedepot.com

$136 and some change
just copy and paste the part# into there search bar.
gm makes this part.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 1:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

but the problem is the muscle car pan hangs way below the front xmember.

you can also use an Fbody one, it doesnt hang below.

aaron

1971 Chevelle: L96 6.0, 232/244 cam, t56, 411's, 460whp/430wq...still trying for 11's.. 12.3 @ 115 1.89 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2814 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.