64 Chevelle 5.3l/4l60e swap - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 10, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

64 Chevelle 5.3l/4l60e swap

Wanted to post my LSx swap to hopefully help give back for all the info and advice I have gotten from different forums.

Just got home with a 2003 5.3L for my 64 chevelle. Will be replacing the 396/700R4. People call me crazy for this swap. I want coil on cylinder, roller cam, aluminum heads, and electronic fuel injection. This would be extremely expensive to put this technology into my 396. I will post cost as they come together but I expect I can get it done with some help from friends for less than $3000. Engine, wiring (in fairly bad shape, cut, missing plugs) computer, accessories, tranny, pedal, TAC module, MAF sensor all was $1200. Started a blog of the swap at http://neal64ss.blogspot.com/

Current engine:

"New" engine:

Currently finding everything was not as expected when I got parts home and started going thru them. Guy at salvage yard assures me he will help make everything right, so looks like another trip to salvage yard to get thing as they should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Re: 64 Chevelle 5.3l/4l60e swap

Can't wait to watch your progress on this.

I drive...a 65
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Good luck. Lots of good info on ls1tech.com in the Conversions & Hybrids section.

You're far from crazy. LSx is the way of the future. Nothing like 400+ rwhp and 20+ mpg.

ACES Member
71 Chevelle - Who cares about the paint. You won't see it long anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For Sale: '71 Complete A/C PM Me

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 12:13 PM
Team Member

Good for you! Will be a fun car, and fun for a long time, when you get it done.

member number 684
71' coupe project:
goal: 150+MPH, 9s driven to and from track, 275 front tire, 315 rear tire, 1000+HP
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 10:24 AM
Tony

looking good.. id like to see what the price comes out to be when your done.. mine went way over for alot of custom things we built and i also went ls2, turbo, built 4l80e, speartech harness and almost everything custom built. turbo manifolds, a/c bracket, pulleys, etc and everything brand new except the ls2 had 19k miles
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have started a google doc to track expenses. Currently at $1522, still need fuel plumbing, intake plumbing, mechanical speedo converter, oil pan modification, and odds and ends that show up at installation.

Click link for spreadsheet
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...xN1AzS2c&hl=en

Coming together faster than expected, still lots left to do.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 8:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Stand alone wiring harness conversion

First, a pic of the recipient of this documented struggle to convert from BBC to Gen III SBC.

The harness from the salvage yard was not from the same truck as the engine/tranny and was somewhat damaged. I traded this harness for programming on my PCM to make it ready for stand alone operation. Purchased a 2003 6.0L/4L80E harness off truck forum classifieds. Was advertised as in new condition and complete. It arrived in that condition, best $124 I have spent on this project.

Started by removing plastic split tubing and the back endcaps for the PCM connectors.

Then I laid the harness on the engine/tranny. This helped me to figure out a few more plug ID's. Most of the info I have gotten from LT1swap.com. All the info necessary to convert a harness to standalone. I also looked at a 2004 GMC YUKON engine to figure out where some of the connectors went.

As I determined what each plug was I labeled it accordingly. After determining purpose for all but about 5 plugs I started removing pins/wires from the PCM connectors. Just use the info from LT1swap.com and it is fairly easy to do. Here are some pics of the process. Wires balled up in chair are not needed.

After I removed wires from PCM I then removed the unneeded plugs such as oil level, EVAP, A/C, ect. Then I Labeled all the wires that did not go to a plug. I ended up with a harness that had only the wires I need for my 64 Chevelle, all plugs/loose ends labeled as to function. All thats left is converting the Tranny plug from 4L80E type to 4L60E type, but thats another post.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 12:34 PM
Tech Team
RJ

WOW, nice work. You have the patience of a Saint!
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Your organization now will help you in the long run. It's got to be nice to have a running example to look at when you get stuck too!

'69 SS396 - FiTech L33 swapped w/Muncie, 3.31 TrueTrac - VHX Gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 9:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

If you need any help doing this or making things work including identifying the ignition leads and bat leads at the power distribution connector lemme know I have a full binder of every truck and car harness along with connector id's to make it very very easy and fast to strip.

My way of doing it is actually identifying all connectors I dont want like the oil level sensor, oil pressure senor, ac sensors ect and put green tape on them. Green means go and thats what they do. Then is a simple task of cutting the power leads out of splices and or the power distribution connector and doing what you did at the PCM.

The fun part and IMO the part that takes the most skill is reworking it to fit your car the way you want it to route. I have a few secrets of how to do it but I cant give away everything

Looks good though youre on the right track

1964 Malibu 5.3 LS twin turbo aka Maliboost coming soon BUT YOU WONT SEE IT HERE
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 10:42 AM
Tech Team
kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty B View Post
If you need any help doing this or making things work including identifying the ignition leads and bat leads at the power distribution connector lemme know I have a full binder of every truck and car harness along with connector id's to make it very very easy and fast to strip.

My way of doing it is actually identifying all connectors I dont want like t them. Green means gohe oil level sensor, oil pressure senor, ac sensors ect and put green tape on and thats what they do. Then is a simple task of cutting the power leads out of splices and or the power distribution connector and doing what you did at the PCM.

The fun part and IMO the part that takes the most skill is reworking it to fit your car the way you want it to route. I have a few secrets of how to do it but I cant give away everything

Looks good though youre on the right track
I want your help Matty B. Where are you from? I want to identify the ignition leads of my car. There is a leak from it.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 7:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmokindad View Post
I want your help Matty B. Where are you from? I want to identify the ignition leads of my car. There is a leak from it.

A leak? I accidentally deleted a middle of my sentence but Im from Sacramento Ca.

The easy part of Identifying the power leads is if they are pink or orange. Harder part is which pink wire goes to which fuse as there are 8 main fuses for the motor which can be reduced to 6 if you really want to.

More or less of the top of my head is

PCM B which is the battery feed to the PCM as well as the OBD2 connector.

IGN 0 is power for sensors like the MAF that require ignition power not supplied by the PCM

IGN 1 and IGN 2 is for the driver and passenger side coil packs and injectors.

PCM 1 is ignition power to the PCM itself.

The 02s typically get their own fuse for heaters.

Then the TAC module gets an Ignition lead.

Most are 15 amp circuits. If you tie the IGN 1 and 2 together as well as the 02 1 and 2 onto a shared fuses you can reduce the amount of fuses needed to power the motor correctly. If the motor is not drive by wire you can reduce the needed fuses again by removing the TAC module fuse.

1964 Malibu 5.3 LS twin turbo aka Maliboost coming soon BUT YOU WONT SEE IT HERE
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 9:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

First I should note that this is applicable to PCM that uses blue/green connectors. I suspect it will be similar for blue/red PCM, but haven't verified yet. Here is a link to a google doc I made that shows how to convert from 4L80E wiring to 4L60E.

I know that most are going the other way, but I needed to do it so maybe someone else does also.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...SOGozNlE&hl=en

Another pic of finishing up wiring. I sat down at the table and went one wire at a time to make sure I got it right. Be patient and double check at each step. It is easy to do if you get it right the first time. It is a severe headache if you make a mistake and have to track it down later.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 9:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal64ss View Post
First I should note that this is applicable to PCM that uses blue/green connectors. I suspect it will be similar for blue/red PCM, but haven't verified yet. Here is a link to a google doc I made that shows how to convert from 4L80E wiring to 4L60E.

I know that most are going the other way, but I needed to do it so maybe someone else does also.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...SOGozNlE&hl=en

Another pic of finishing up wiring. I sat down at the table and went one wire at a time to make sure I got it right. Be patient and double check at each step. It is easy to do if you get it right the first time. It is a severe headache if you make a mistake and have to track it down later.
suprisingly other than the actual plastic terminal covers, the pinouts are identical between the DBW blue/red and blue/green for swap purposes. I have quadruple checked this and the computers are interchangable save for the red vs green blastic terminal cover.
I have a harness that was made for a Vette powered up by a truck pcm and works just fine. I like using truck PCMs cause HPtuners gives you unlimited credits for certain PCMs after youve bought a certain amount of credits.

WARNING!!! Dont read this and think that harnesses between engines are interchangable. Vette DBW TB's use different connectors, the injector connectors are different as well. The pinouts are the same AT THE PCM.

Hope that helps

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old May 30th, 10, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I decided that the engine needed to be painted. I decided that I could not easily get all the surface rust off using wire brush or scraping or chemical cleaning. I got a portable sandblaster and a bag of "black diamond" blasting media from Tractor Supply. I taped off everything that I did not want to get blasting grit into. I then put on a clear faceshield and covered myself and the engine with an old bedsheet to contain the blasting spray. Holding a flourescent worklight in one hand and the blasting gun in the other, I blasted all the non-aluminum surfaces on the engine. These LSx iron block engines do not have much exposed iron. Front, rear, and valley covers are aluminum and the heads and oil pan are aluminum. Used about 60# of the 80# bag of "black diamond" and took about 1.5 hours to finish blasting. I will spend the next year cleaning black specs from stuff in my garage, even trying to contain it with the sheet. I then painted it with spray can self etching primer and then spray can krylon engine paint, cast iron grey color. It turned out exactly how I wanted it, a dark grey that has a bit of a gloss to it.

What does everybody think about the color?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2875 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.