Team Chevelle banner

Solid Body Mounts

13K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Elco 
#1 ·
Hello. I've searched old posts and have not found any info. I'm looking for solid body mounts for my '66 El Camino. I've purchased them for my '69 Camaro from Global West but they don't offer them for A-bodies. I may end up with the poly mounts. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Elco,

I have never seen solid mounts for an A-body. I made my own set out of nylon for my Chevelle. It is a very easy part to make, so if you really want some you could take a stock mount and measure it up and take it to a machine shop to see what they could do.

Good Luck.

#5 ·
My car is too rough to tell. I have not carpet, interior, etc. So it is loud and crude and rattles to begin with. I didn't notice a change in noise but I am not a good judge.

I didn't when I did mine, but I thought about cutting a piece of 1/8" rubber to act as an insulator between the body and the mount, but with the nylon it doesn't have any squeak anyway.

I was not impressed with the difference when I boxed my frame and that is why I decided to go with solid mounts. Anything to stiffen up the car is good for me. I also added a mount in the center of the door. The original was just a rubber cushion and there was a nut in the body so I just added a mount there.

good Luck.

#12 ·
what is the difference betwen delrin and poly?

I was planning on using poly because it would tie the frame to the body better than rubber would and would be quiter than solid body mounts.

#13 ·
what is the difference betwen delrin and poly?
In the case of body-mounts, Delrin is essentially hard plastic (but more durable), almost as solid as soft metals like Aluminum, so NVH transfer would be slightly worse...

In the case of suspension bushings, Delrin is not only harder, but also slippery, where poly is sticky. Delrin bushings rotate freely with less resistance, never squeak, and work like a bearing, so lubrication isn't as critical. None of this applies to body-mounts though. :)

#14 ·
All - I would be a little concerned about solid body mounts on a body-on-frame vehicle. The body mounts are designed to absorb loads transmitted from the chassis. Solid mounts will INCREASE chassis loads (ie, pot holes, etc) being driven into the body and could cause cracks, body twisting, etc. I guess it depends on how you drive the car, but I would shy away from solid mounts. Proceed with caution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.