Crashed Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 9:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

Crashed Chevelle

Hey guys- does anyone remember seeing and reading about the crushed Chevelle? It was featured at SEMA I believe this past year - it was a gray pro touring 1972 that apparently was on the way to the crusher and got saved. The guys plus their sponsors did a fantastic build on and I am trying to get info on it but unfortunately this is about all the social media I do is here. The question maybe someone may have an answer to is: The car is running 18 x 11“ wheels with 315 on the back and running 18 x 10“ wheels with a 275 tire and the wheels are American racing. The guys in all the information I have found states they did chassis/frame modifications to accommodate those size tires and wheels. I’m trying to figure out how they were able to manage those sizes without any modifications. Does anybody have any theories or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 9:27 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
re: Crashed Chevelle

This one?
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1908...track-crusher/
71350SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

Yep- that’s the one.
Guess I should have labeled it better as the crashed Chevelle

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 9:40 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
re: Crashed Chevelle

Google has gotten so now days if you google gray 1972 Chevelle it will bring up page after page of vehicles of all different makes, years, and colors.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

Very true. I should have been more specific.
I’m looking at doing the same set up but didn’t want to mini tub just because the price doesn’t make financial sense considering you only get maybe an inch and half so when I seen this- I was def interested- just couldn’t figure out how it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0A3762A-6772-4B58-8380-84C6CC83D5E2_1579225904780.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	613716  
Attached Images

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I think it’s the crashed Chevelle rather than the crushed.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 11:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Crashed Chevelle

Changed the thread title to Crashed.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 6:37 AM
Senior Tech Team

If you donít want to do mods then you only have what room is available for the tire. Then once you get the tire size that will fit itís all about the backspace.

I had a 70 and I didnít think there was room for that much tire but maybe. Throw a tape measure in there and see what you got to work with.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 2:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

Well I have done that much ; and I realize not all Chevelles are the same , but a 315 on the back and a 275 on the front is freakin huge even for a stock Chevelle. I’m just trying to figure how it’s even possible and if anyone has had any experience with even close to that size with out mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
If you don’t want to do mods then you only have what room is available for the tire. Then once you get the tire size that will fit it’s all about the backspace.

I had a 70 and I didn’t think there was room for that much tire but maybe. Throw a tape measure in there and see what you got to work with.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 5:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat1972 View Post
Well I have done that much ; and I realize not all Chevelles are the same , but a 315 on the back and a 275 on the front is freakin huge even for a stock Chevelle. Iím just trying to figure how itís even possible and if anyone has had any experience with even close to that size with out mods
How much room is in the back?

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I have 275/35/18 Front and 315/30/18 Rear

9.5" front with 5.75" backspace
11" rear with 6.25" backspace

Front has a corrected camber curve using Speedtech AFX spindles and aligned with 2į of negative camber.

Rear has trimmed lips and a watts link to keep the axle centered.
71350SS likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 8:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

315 should fit under your 70 with no problem. Bet its a better fit than a 295/50/15

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

Thanks for that post- that is def helpful . I am running At the current time 20x10 with 275 which was on the car when I bought it. I have an inch and a half extra on both sides on the back and that is with rear end completely centered.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
bryce

With the 2 degrees negative camber; do you have any excessive tire wear? Do you have it set that way to accommodate a big tire or for road course racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I have 275/35/18 Front and 315/30/18 Rear

9.5" front with 5.75" backspace
11" rear with 6.25" backspace

Front has a corrected camber curve using Speedtech AFX spindles and aligned with 2į of negative camber.

Rear has trimmed lips and a watts link to keep the axle centered.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat1972 View Post
With the 2 degrees negative camber; do you have any excessive tire wear? Do you have it set that way to accommodate a big tire or for road course racing?
Not really, but I do a mix of street miles and autocross.

Tires get lose grip from heat cycling and need replacing before they wear out anyway.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in