Resto mod build tips/help - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

4Likes
  • 4 Post By Pete 67

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Resto mod build tips/help

My dream car is a 1970 Chevelle old school interior with updated everything else. My question is what is the best car to start with? Everything I read says body work kills a budget so would It make more sense to buy a $40k car and update engine wheels brakes etc or start from scratch? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Resto mod build tips/help

How much work can you do yourself? Do you have the space to separate the body from the chassis? Lots of factors that go into one of these builds. Budget & time are usually at the top of the list.

The first piece of advice is to do as much research as possible before jumping into the deep end of the pool. You're off to a good start by asking questions before buying anything.

I also would recommend buying the straightest, rust free car you can find. If 70 is the year you want, it's worth spending 15-20 grand on a plain-jane Malibu that hasn't been restored. Rust repair is costly & time consuming...finding a solid car would give you a giant head start.
Steve R, davewho1, BTK and 1 others like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 19, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Finding a 70 Chevelle is, in and of itself, a lot of work and luck. I looked for a long time and what I found was not real straight, not rust free and had panel alignment issues from the factory - but the price was right.

Never saw a rust free 70 that wasn't restored already and they get pricey real quick.

In my case, my project (link below) was going to be a bit on the drastic side, so condition was not that critical. In retrospect, I might have thought differently about the project scope if I had properly realized how much work was involved. Been at it for over 4 years now and I'm still more than a year out and I've been more than a year out since more than a year ago.

Seems like every part of the project I start now, requires that I start another sub-project in order to complete it. Have stuff piled up on makeshift work areas where I have had to stop work and start the new sub-project.

I suppose this is all part of the game and that I shouldn't complain (bucket list item). Never did one of these before and I even had to learn MIG/TIG in order to make it all work.

Just now finishing the driver's door panel - very complex and had at least 200 hours in the panel (electric latch, electric windows, electric mirrors, alarm, etc.); hopefully the passenger side will be more simple since I now have an example of what to do.

Good luck with your project.

Nick

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'd look for one all finished.

I chose to put a modern suspension under a plain jane looking car with a 20 year old paint job that I can drive and not worry about. I paid 12 for the car with a new 454/th400 and decent body, it needed an interior and a suspension upgrade.. I prefer the el Camino because I like the styling and it comes with a massive frame that helps handling.

I always liked the 70 and hope you find what your after. I took my time and prayed a lot. Sure enough, I found a great deal for 12K, a 69 SS396 with a fresh 454, turbo 400 and my favorite shade of blue. It needed an interior and the suspension updated. I have 20 into it now and I am very happy with everything so far.
By the way, I found the car while doing volunteer work....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 2:21 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I have over $50k in my 70 SS 396 frame off resto. Running an 02 GMMG LS1, (still have the 70 396 block) 4-speed, astro blue, pw pb a/c buckets/console, and I started out with a 100% original GM steel rust free California car. It's the little stuff that adds up FAST! I may be selling soon. Tossing it around. Knees are going bad and it just sits in the garage. Still has the stickers on the tires I put on 3 years ago!

70 Chevelle SS 396
86 Monte SS-Bought NEW

NICC 'Northern Illinois Chevelle Club) #72
2004 Cadillac XLR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 2:57 AM
Tech Team
Mike

An old pic of it, LS1 installed, from 2013
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.2.13.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	599820  

70 Chevelle SS 396
86 Monte SS-Bought NEW

NICC 'Northern Illinois Chevelle Club) #72
2004 Cadillac XLR
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I would start with a restored vehicle, add the new trimmings to that, you will come out ahead.

Build thread-

Album -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in