LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 3:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: Engine choice for 71 Chevelle - need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze68 View Post
Don't I wish!

The videos from Mark are impressive, to say the least. I watched them all and admit that I'll investigate this route. I was never a 454 fan because of the external balancing, but, seeing what he does makes me sleep a little (a lot) easier.

I appreciate all the feedback and comments thus far. Again, I'm set on a BBC for this particular car (sorry LS fans). Will gladly take more viewpoints or votes from my original 3 options.
There are literally tens of thousand 454 and up Big Blocks out there that have externally balanced cranks making gobs of HP and more importantly Torque.So the external balance is really a non issue.If it was a reliability issue it would have been corrected many yrs ago. IMO
blue_69_malibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 4:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

ZL1.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 5:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

I was debating between a LS vs. BB and decided to go with a 540. For me it was the best decision I've made for the car. It's a pretty mild cam I want to say around 580 lift. that combined with a Holley Sniper is right at 600hp @ 5000 rpm and 680 torque @ 3800 rpm. with 14" of vacuum plenty for power brakes, 700r4 trans, 3000 stall converter with 3:42 gears. Its a blast to drive. My only regret was not going with Aluminum heads.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There are literally tens of thousand 454 and up Big Blocks out there that have externally balanced cranks making gobs of HP and more importantly Torque.So the external balance is really a non issue.If it was a reliability issue it would have been corrected many yrs ago. IMO
71350SS: I hear you! There’s no doubt. Seriously though, would appreciate if you were not hung up on this. With all respect, you don’t know if “was never a fan” meant last month or 35 years ago, nor for what reason or why I said that. I haven’t divulged that information; that’s a whole other story from my personal past experiences. You’re speculating and throwing up random defenses for without any need. If you’v got a thing for externally balanced engines, um, hey: I am absolutely happy for you! Trust me, I wouldn’t have initially entertained the 502 let alone decided to go the BB route if I was dead set against external balancing since that would limit my options.

Quite honestly, that 467 from Mark Jones really has my attention.
71350SS and 427L88 like this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:42 PM
Gold Member
Gene

To 71350s point, I've owned a 427 for over twenty years. Actually my first build of the engine was in 1978 to true L88 specs. Recently, I paid for precision balance, and it still isnt as precise I 'd like ( which included zero-ing the pressure plate) ..... BUT.... I know Jonsey's balance with the flywheel I sent him, will even meet my "princess on a pea" standards. I am a princess with my rats! The first machine shop wasnt anywhere near up to my standards btw. I found the cam in -7 instead of +6. I SHOULDNT HAVE TO CHECK WORK WHEN I PAY FOR PROS! But, many call themselves pros, and FAKE it , imho.

I had to do it bronze. Nothing amiss with my 427 , exe its on its 3rd, in my hands, rebuild. Runs great. 205 psi across all 8. But I want the additional 150 ft lbs, super critical machining and assembly, and total oil control of a pro built engine, so I await my final payment to our Mr. Jones..... AFTER he gets around to A/B'ing my 467 as a Qjet v Holley dyno mule. I spoke to Mark before he became a fixture here at TC, and have always coveted one of his BBCs. Its like ART to me. When he described his process, I heard my first boss ( and only) boss in the machining world talking.

And nothing against all y'all that choose to run 540 tall decks, its your ride! I hand built a 427 to eat 502s, and in street trim, my MJ467 would likely eat a 540 just fine. I like less doing more with less! I recall telling Mr. Brookshire when getting a cam directly from him, " honestly sir, I need to beat my bud's 509 Camaro and all those 502s with this lil rat!"

Its a 427L88 thing! Good luck Bronze. Dont assume all are pros. We have a few "friends" here, Mark, Mike, Gary, Chris and Carl, among others , that truly are.

PS A local pro, whose "rep" Mark knows, wont put ovals on a rat. Carl McQuillen is where i got my " what?! is it for a wood truck? " comment. When talking about A/B'ing the tripower induction system, which we wont do at Marks, he recommended I take to Carl for a dyno session. Just so Carl can see ovals push 600 HP and 615 ft lbs out the door ( not with the tripower for sure, and likely not with a Qjet either).

ALSO, a local Chevelle bud blew his "pro built" 396 rolling easy from the NOCC show. When he told me who built it, and that he was going to take it back, I said NO WAY! Dont waste your time with those hack wannabees, call Mark. And Duke did. And now he can NOT fret about losing an engine when it drops a valve doing 60. Hell man, my garage built, but fastidiously checked mill took craploads of abuse, and still works mint.

And I sure as heck don't consider myself a pro. Only know enough to spot the real deal.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

You're right and I'll stay out from here on I don't want to mess up your thread any further,But in my defense when you ask for opinions you're going to get responses,right ?
I won't reply any further.
72chevellephil likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 3:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I would build or have built an engine over purchasing from GM. The ZZ502 has a bad rep and the ones I have driven have been dogs out of the crate. Do your own google search and you'll see how prolific the complaints have been. You shouldn't have to tear down a new engine, do machine work and change the rings to have a properly functioning engine.

I think Mark Jones is on top of the game right now. He's got a great combination of engines available. You'll have to wait for one though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in