HPI vs Speed tech vs hellwig vs abc - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 2:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure you've seen this question posted before but I couldn't find a definitive answer and the answers I did get where very outdated. I'm about to have my frame blasted and I wanted to strengthen it before powder coating. Now is the tube structure actually helping the car with the hpi and speedtech kits or is that just a waste? The hellwig kit looks nice but no rear cross member and you reuse your factory trans cross member. I like the adjustment in the hpi and speedtech kits for future swaps. Is one kit better than the other or should I just box it and be done with it.

66 Chevelle street car
Future LS and t56 swap

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 3:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: HPI vs Speed tech vs hellwig vs abc

I think the main issue you are going to run into with this question is most people have only done their one vehicle with a single product. I am sure there are a few who have experience with a couple of the products and hopefully they will chime in.

If it is just going to be a street car, maybe just pick the cheapest one or easiest to install one as the gains from any of them might be enough.

I went with the ABC stuff, but haven't completed the car yet so I can't tell you how it is. But I was able to complete the whole install myself.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 9:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
I think the main issue you are going to run into with this question is most people have only done their one vehicle with a single product. I am sure there are a few who have experience with a couple of the products and hopefully they will chime in.

If it is just going to be a street car, maybe just pick the cheapest one or easiest to install one as the gains from any of them might be enough.

I went with the ABC stuff, but haven't completed the car yet so I can't tell you how it is. But I was able to complete the whole install myself.
This is very true. Sure everyone is biased toward what they run. Just curious if anyone has looked at both designs of the hpi and speedtech and said one seems more structurally sound then the other. I'm in Canada so I guess I'm leaning towards the hpi kit but figured I'd post the question. There has to be some benefit to the tubing added and not just being boxed. You would hope.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I agree that it has to help.

Build thread-

Album -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 6:22 PM
Tech Team
Mike

When the frame was out of the 70 I could pick up the rear corner of the frame and lift up on it and it would twist a little (about 1-2"). I finished with the ABC kit and it would not flex at all. So I imagine it would help it out a bit compared to the stock frame. I only went with the ABC kit as it was only a 30 minute drive for me to pick it up.

I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 9:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
When the frame was out of the 70 I could pick up the rear corner of the frame and lift up on it and it would twist a little (about 1-2"). I finished with the ABC kit and it would not flex at all. So I imagine it would help it out a bit compared to the stock frame. I only went with the ABC kit as it was only a 30 minute drive for me to pick it up.
This is the same story I was going to write. It makes a huge difference to stiffness. I chose ABC since I had the mini tub kit coming as well.

66 Malibu. STILL... Working toward participation in Optima events! Rebuild in progress.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 9:45 PM
Tech Team
Troy

I echo the sentiment that people are biased to their purchases and I rarely contribute in those threads. That being said, here I am.

I just finished the install of the Hellwig kit on my 66 frame. Like someone else said, the difference on a bare is incredible. The Hellwig does not have a cross member, but it does add two additional mounts that attach to the center floor brace. Standing on one of these mounts , it becomes obvious how much more rigid the frame is going to be.

What ever way you go I believe the difference in the end will be worth the effort.

66 CHEVELLE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 9:51 PM

I'm in the middle of both a Hellwig and ABC installation on my 71. The Hellwig is going on the C-channels as you would expect, and I'm using the ABC pieces to box in the frame behind rear. It's probably not worth a whole lot to box in the back end, but I wanted to go the distance on the frame.

I chose the Hellwig because of the numbers they put up about its increase in stiffness. I think the data is actually in one of the older posts here. The frame is something like 3 times stiffer than stock. I think the plain ABC-type boxing on the C-channel was only about twice as strong.

I have a 68 convertible, and I can absolutely say the convertible frames are vastly stronger than the coupes. The Hellwig mimics the convertible frames. I also like that it adds an additional frame to body mount.

What's more, I got the supplemental body bushings from Energy Suspension to utilize the unused factory floor brace mounts over the center of the C-channel. My body has the nuts in the floor brace, but like most Chevelles, it originally used the blank body mount. So, I'll be going from no body mounts in the center to two on either side.

Once all that's done, I may look at adding a cross member between the lower control arm mounts with cut-outs to clear the driveshaft and exhaust. I'll have to see how motivated I feel at that point.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 11:04 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker12 View Post
I'm sure you've seen this question posted before but I couldn't find a definitive answer and the answers I did get where very outdated. I'm about to have my frame blasted and I wanted to strengthen it before powder coating. Now is the tube structure actually helping the car with the hpi and speedtech kits or is that just a waste? The hellwig kit looks nice but no rear cross member and you reuse your factory trans cross member. I like the adjustment in the hpi and speedtech kits for future swaps. Is one kit better than the other or should I just box it and be done with it.

66 Chevelle street car
Future LS and t56 swap

Thanks!
If you decide to go ABC Performance, I have a kit brand new in the box that I'm not going to use and need to sell: FRAME MINI TUB KIT W/ AXLE BRACKETS #ABC-6467AB

Let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in