Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Andy69

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 5:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

suspension modeling

I thought I had posted about this before but I can't find it so Im probably just imagining things.

I don't know if anyone here has used suspension modeling on their pro touring cars. If you plan on using it for autocross etc (ahem Derek) you'll be miles ahead. I'll eventually do it with my Chevelle but I just finished it up with my autoX Honda. I used DG's Autocross to Win page as a guide and downloaded a spreadsheet from us rally team.

I made a boat load of measurements on the suspension including corner weights, ARBs, calculated center of gravity, etc. The spreadsheet spit out suggestions for spring rates. I ignored them because of the conventional wisdom I'd encountered on the Red Pepper Racing page about spring rates for these particular cars. The car was tail happy when I tested it in February so I dropped the rear spring rate to what the spreadsheet recommended.

Went to the first MS Region SCCA event in Grenada yesterday. The car was very nicely balanced and I could kick the tail out by flicking the wheel. In steady state sweepers, the car 4 wheel drifted outward at the limit.

There were a few other items of conventional wisdom that were disproven. I ended up raising the front ride height because where I had it set took the control arms outside of their design motion range and would put positive camber on the wheels in a turn. I set the rear actually a little lower than the front, too.

Anyway, the point is, check the science. It takes out a lot of guesswork and money thrown at parts, and may just send you in a direction that is different from the old guys that "know".
Jeff65SS and 90lxracer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in