LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 9:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage
Re: Chevelle 2.0

Small update... the engine runs! :headbang:

509 Running by Yelcamino, on Flickr
Clint44, Jeff65SS, -SS454- and 2 others like this.

Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
1963 C10 454/4L80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Damn Herb!!! That is going to hurt some feelings!! :rockon!:

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Damn Herb!!! That is going to hurt some feelings!! :rockon!:

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

post #124 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 9:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Beastly! Sounds great on camera, but I am sure it sounds even better in real life.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #125 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Sounds awesome Herb. What are you using for a crank position sensor/mount, cam sync and ECU. I see you are using individual coil-per-plug as I have opted for but I hesitate to mount the coils on the valve covers for fear of it looking too much like an LS platform especially with the Hogans fabricated intake which looks suspiciously like yours just sitting in place in this photo! I have some questions for you which I will ask via PM. Again, looks and sounds great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hogan_Intake_R.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	603058  
Jeff65SS and Yelcamino like this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #126 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
Beastly! Sounds great on camera, but I am sure it sounds even better in real life.

Thanks! It sounds good but my temporary exhaust is stupid loud!
-SS454- likes this.

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80
post #127 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 6:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Sounds awesome Herb. What are you using for a crank position sensor/mount, cam sync and ECU. I see you are using individual coil-per-plug as I have opted for but I hesitate to mount the coils on the valve covers for fear of it looking too much like an LS platform especially with the Hogans fabricated intake which looks suspiciously like yours just sitting in place in this photo! I have some questions for you which I will ask via PM. Again, looks and sounds great!

Your engine looks great David! I have the Holley HP ECU and I'm using a Holley Dual Sync distributor for the crank and cam signals.

112-583 105 mm throttle body
565-200 dual-sync distributor with the 566-103 blank cap.
556-128 smart coil Kit.
558-307 universal ignition harness

I haven't decided where I want to mount the coils, which is why they're just hanging on the valve covers with a zip tie. The plug wires are from a distributor setup, which is why they're so long. Once the engine is in the car and I can figure out where I want everything, I'll trim all the wiring and make a set of appropriate length plug wires.

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80
post #128 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 8:06 PM
Clint

Quote:
I've seen the coils mounted on the firewall, that looked really good.
-SS454- likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #129 of 131 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I had spoken with Mike Lewis about valve cover mounted coils and I believe it was his experience that just bolting them on with the appropriate screws/nuts/spacers led to oil seeping out. Welding threaded stand-offs was probably the best bet if that mounting option was the choice. I had located a really nice set of billet firewall mount brackets that I would have purchased in a heartbeat but they were not available for sale so I ended up purchasing a set of 16 gauge stamped metal brackets which the coils should hide for the most part. As far as cam sync and crank position sensor, I had ATI build me a custom 60-2 (58X) Trigger Shell for their 7" BBC Super Damper with the missing teeth correctly oriented for the driver's side mounted Holley 556-111 Crank Trigger Bracket. The cam sync is an EFI Connection Billet 1X (Accel distributor body/shaft/gear) Cam Sync Plug. Throttle body is the Holley 112-581 Street/Race version with the low RPM taper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billet_Coil_Bracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	603190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Billet_Coil_Bracket_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	603192  
Jeff65SS and Yelcamino like this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #130 of 131 (permalink) Old Today, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
I've seen the coils mounted on the firewall, that looked really good.

I've thought of that as well as down low near the crossmember. I really have no idea where I want them. I'm just going to wait until I get all the sheet metal work done and the engine is mounted. Before I can start on the headers everything that will be in the engine bay needs to be in place.

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80
post #131 of 131 (permalink) Old Today, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
I had spoken with Mike Lewis about valve cover mounted coils and I believe it was his experience that just bolting them on with the appropriate screws/nuts/spacers led to oil seeping out. Welding threaded stand-offs was probably the best bet if that mounting option was the choice. I had located a really nice set of billet firewall mount brackets that I would have purchased in a heartbeat but they were not available for sale so I ended up purchasing a set of 16 gauge stamped metal brackets which the coils should hide for the most part. As far as cam sync and crank position sensor, I had ATI build me a custom 60-2 (58X) Trigger Shell for their 7" BBC Super Damper with the missing teeth correctly oriented for the driver's side mounted Holley 556-111 Crank Trigger Bracket. The cam sync is an EFI Connection Billet 1X (Accel distributor body/shaft/gear) Cam Sync Plug. Throttle body is the Holley 112-581 Street/Race version with the low RPM taper.

It sounds like you have all the details worked out. I wasn't sure what I should do when I started down this road so I went with the dual-sync because it seemed like a simple why to make it all work. So far so good.

Since I'm using Holley Smart Coils, I went with a set of their mounting brackets.

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in