Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56 - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 2:03 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Re: Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56

Just curious, I noticed you initially had the tinman tunnel patch, but now you replaced it. Whats the reason behind that? I know they claim its all you need when doing the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Just curious, I noticed you initially had the tinman tunnel patch, but now you replaced it. Whats the reason behind that? I know they claim its all you need when doing the swap.
I felt the timan tunnel patch was to limiting on trans fit and and console fit. the way it ended at the back the console just hung off the back.

prior to the swap I had an instance of drive shaft hitting the tunnel under the rear seat, so I decided a full length raised tunnel was needed now with the T56 and a larger 3" drive shaft.

66 CHEVELLE
post #63 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 1:29 PM
Tech Team
Robert

What did you do for the floor braces when you decided to lengthen the entire tunnel?

post #64 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 2:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
What did you do for the floor braces when you decided to lengthen the entire tunnel?
I'll be cutting the brace out and adding new brace in the tunnel. Probably some 1/4x3" flat stock bent to match the tunnel and attach to the horizontal part of existing brace.

66 CHEVELLE
post #65 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 18, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I'll be cutting the brace out and adding new brace in the tunnel. Probably some 1/4x3" flat stock bent to match the tunnel and attach to the horizontal part of existing brace.
I bent mine up to match the existing shape of the original brace. Not the easiest stuff to bend, but a big hammer and a vise got the job done. You would probably gain an inch of clearance side to side if you just went with the flat stock and made the hoop with it.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 138 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 18, 8:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

It's been a while since I posted any progress updates. It's been slow going now that summer is here, seems like there is always something else to do.

We had an awesome motorcycle ride up the coast North of San Francisco with two other couples yesterday, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge then over the mountains to Stinson Beach and up Hyw 1 to Tomales Bay, some really nice riding up there.

Any how, back to the car.

I'm 99% done with the drivers side complete floor replacement, got it all butted up to the new tunnel for the T56. I say 99% because I have to grind the remaining welds. These are one piece floors where the factory had a seam just behind where your heels would be resting on the floor. these one piece floors were difficult to work with so I cut it where the factory seam would have been.

The frame boxing kit I am using is from HELLWIG, They add the additional body mount to an existing hole in the floor bace. These need to be fit with the body on the frame.

The HELLWIG kit used a 3/8" riv nut installed into a 3/16" plate you weld to the bottom of the floor brace. I decided, being as I had the floors out to install a 7/176" cage nut in the floor brace and eliminate the rivnut.

66 CHEVELLE
post #67 of 138 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 11:01 PM
Tech Team
J

Looking good! Keep chipping away at it!! I like what you did with the extra Hellwig body mounts. I was wondering how the 2 mounts would line up once everything was reassembled but your captive nut idea would solve any alignment issues.

Were you able to get the frame fx kit welded with replacement plates from Hellwig? I still havenít touched my frame. Iím in Brentwood and itís too dang hot in the garage!
post #68 of 138 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal-SS View Post
Looking good! Keep chipping away at it!! I like what you did with the extra Hellwig body mounts. I was wondering how the 2 mounts would line up once everything was reassembled but your captive nut idea would solve any alignment issues.

Were you able to get the frame fx kit welded with replacement plates from Hellwig? I still havenít touched my frame. Iím in Brentwood and itís too dang hot in the garage!
The alignment of the extra body mounts should not be an issue, the ID of the bushing where the bolt passes through is about 3/4" and like you mentioned the cage nut vs the fixed nut should have plenty of tolerance.

Yes, Hellwig stepped up and made sure I had what ever was necessary to complete the frame boxing. It's been pretty hot over here in San Jose also, seems to be a bit cooler this last week and this weekend.

Leaving on Tuesday for vacation, we'll end up in Reno for a couple days of Hot August Nights.

66 CHEVELLE
post #69 of 138 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Update time, I got the floors completed, almost. the rear brace is modified and 95% complete, I'll do some final welding on the bottom when the body is on a Rotisserie.

This is the piece I made to extend the rear brace into the raised tunnel.

Early on when I was doing the trunk floor I had to replace the body mounts that welded onto the frame behind the rear wheels. I was never happy with the way they came out using the replacement brackets from OPGI. I was at a shop the other day that had an Art Morrison chassis, that really motivated me to redo those brackets.

The long bracket is what I bought from Art Morrison (they wouldn't sell the actual bracket) The short bracket is how I modified it.

66 CHEVELLE
post #70 of 138 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

I continue to accumulate parts. I was at Hot August Nights last month I ordered a FAST 102 LSX-R intake and a set Ring Brothers hood hinges.

A little bling

66 CHEVELLE
post #71 of 138 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I continue to accumulate parts. I was at Hot August Nights last month I ordered a FAST 102 LSX-R intake and a set Ring Brothers hood hinges.

A little bling

I am curious how those hinges will fit and operate as I plan to go with them with a CF hood. What hood are you going to run those with?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #72 of 138 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

I have a line on a factory SS hood, with any luck it will be a clean hood. If that doesn't work out I'll probably use a repop. The CF hood shouldn't be an issue, they list fiberglass as an option when ordering.

66 CHEVELLE
post #73 of 138 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

I definitely need to do a better job posting my progress.

I've been getting a lot done, but there always appears to be one more thing that needs doing. I ended up having to replace a partial left side quarter panel as there was rust at the wheel well opening and an existing patch at the lower quarter behind the the wheel that was going to leave alone.

I noticed that the spot welds were not visible, so I hit it with a sander..... and bondo, some one at some point in this cars history kept the bondo company in business.

This is the profile for the quarter replacement. If you look closly you can see the completed repairs at 12 o'clock and 3-4 o'clock of the outer wheel house.

Dan65ss and pannetron like this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #74 of 138 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

The whole job has taken on a new mission, chasing every bit of rust I can find. Both front and rear windows have extensive rust issues that I am repairing. Previous repairs were less than acceptable at this point, if I knew I the shady repair was left alone it would drive me crazy, so it had to be repaired.

This is the trunk filler panel, moor rust

The corners of the rear window

pannetron likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #75 of 138 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Cool Re: Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56

The front window is a (was) a mess. I ended up replacing the lower windshield channel, both inner A pillars and the whole dash top. I always liked the shorter dash pad of a 67, so I am putting a 67 dash top.

Now the repair

I'll be out there today doing the right side and if it goes well, maybe the lower windshield channel.
pannetron likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in