Swapping to convertible frame ? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 9:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Swapping to convertible frame ?

I'm considering swapping my 69 hardtop frame for a convertible frame, is anyone aware of any problems that I might run into as far as fitment goes? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Swapping to convertible frame ?

Seems like a direct fit - I believe. Convertible frame is boxed vs. 2 door hardtopis not.
this page may help:
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/42-c...frame-q-2.html

Chevelle Frames

Good Luck

Endeavor to persevere... Lone Watie -

Proud owner of a bunch of parts that used to be a 70 Malibu convertible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Bob, thanks for the reply, and the link, it looks to have a lot of information. Much appreciated.
Mike

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 1:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

There are no issues as far as interchangeability goes but to be honest, it's kind of a waste of time and resources to do it.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 2:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Tom, you're probably right. I had thought about boxing the frame of my car with one of the kits from ABC Performance to start with, but my frame needs some work. I thought if I could find a convertible frame in good shape I could just blast it, paint it, and bolt it in.
Mike
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 16, 4:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

brake and fuel lines are different, trans crossmember too, maybe not a big deal though.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 16, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Maner View Post
Tom, you're probably right. I had thought about boxing the frame of my car with one of the kits from ABC Performance to start with, but my frame needs some work. I thought if I could find a convertible frame in good shape I could just blast it, paint it, and bolt it in.
Mike
Mike,

If your frame is in not so good shape, I would look for another coupe frame and close it in if that is what you want to do. Just be aware you will have to tweak the brake and fuel lines. A convertible frame, at least around here, is in the $1500+ range if you can find one. Coupe frames are all over the place for much less.
LeoP likes this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 16, 8:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

may just be my imagination after owning chevelles pretty much since I have been driving - but since I got an el camino that has a full box frame - seems like it rides a bit better on the road. I say go for it but curious what the weight difference is between the two. If you are a go faster guy them you may leave a little on the table.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 5:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Like Tom says above. Cheaper to get coupe and box it. I actually had to do that when I needed one as I couldn't find one under 2k. I used eighth inch platex3 inch I think. Then added 2x4 on top of that. Adds about 100 pounds. Have you found a very frame yet? Hard to get around me.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 7:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heckler View Post
may just be my imagination after owning chevelles pretty much since I have been driving - but since I got an el camino that has a full box frame - seems like it rides a bit better on the road. I say go for it but curious what the weight difference is between the two. If you are a go faster guy them you may leave a little on the table.
Have you considered it is the longer wheelbase of the EC contributing to your impressions. BTW I own both. Considering the '65 Z16 had a convertible frame and an LS6 did not indicates that GM saw no need/value in it.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 1:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Garage

Convertible cross members are almost 10" shorter than the coupes so if you swap try and get the cross member too or you'll be paying a premium for a new one.

The G force cross member from Summit was the best deal I found, not very much more than a factory unit but a LOT stouter. Must weigh about 20 pounds though.

Rod
67 Malibu Coupe, 439 BBC/Muncie M21, Holley Sniper
67 Malibu Convertible, 439 BBC/700r4
84 Hurst Olds, 350 Olds, MaxEFI
67 Caprice 2dr, 468 BBC/TH400
65 Chevy II moredoor, 250/6 with trips, saginaw 4 spd
11 GMC Sierra 1500
15 Malibu
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage

I needed another frame for my 67 convertible last year and there was nothing out there, even looking for an El Camino frame too. I looked for months. Unless you knew of one available, it definitely seems like harder route to go

Jason
San Francisco, CA
67 Chevelle convertible
396/5 speed
In progress
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 8:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
Considering the '65 Z16 had a convertible frame and an LS6 did not indicates that GM saw no need/value in it.
... and then again, in 1970 Pontiac Motor Division offered a Heavy Duty (i.e. boxed) Frame as an option in the (400 CID) GTO and the HD Frame was standard with the "torque monster" 455 HO. Just because Chevy didn't think one was necessary...

Our You Tube Vids:

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 5:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
... and then again, in 1970 Pontiac Motor Division offered a Heavy Duty (i.e. boxed) Frame as an option in the (400 CID) GTO and the HD Frame was standard with the "torque monster" 455 HO. Just because Chevy didn't think one was necessary...
I recently got beat up here for talking about more than Chevelles in a response a discussion about the Malibu on eBay with round pod dash, but NO gage package, and in response to a specific post I made a reference to other A-bodies (Monte Carlo & El Camino) with some direct examples. I was told to "stick to Chevelles"! So lets stick to Chevelles here too. Who cares about what the sister divisions did, only the what the Chevrolet Chevelle line did.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 9:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I wanted to thank everyone for the information, and opinions. It looks like I will probably have to stick with the hardtop frame, and box it in. I do appreciate all of the help.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1039 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.