LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage
Re: Best starter for 1970 Chevelle SS 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your starter but you are wrong. There are millions of gear reduction starters on the road in new cars. They were redesigned because of an inferior design.
You are probably right to some extent. There are a lot of gear reduction starters on the road in "NEW CARS". Why is that, because nothing is built to last anymore. Its a cheaper to produce design, not necessarily better. I'm sure if they were such a vast improvement on such an "Inferior Design", the OP would not have gotten as many responses to either fix/rebuild/replace his original Starter with a like design. Your certainly entitled to your opinion, as are we all. As always..... Just my .02.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I doesn't get any better then the RobbMc with pinion support....
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your starter but you are wrong. There are millions of gear reduction starters on the road in new cars. They were redesigned because of an inferior design.
Using your logic all our old are junk and need replaced becouse no auto manufacturers build new cars like ours using the same style parts.

On a custom build with high compression you might be right. But on a stock built motor or close to stock it's going to be hard to beet a good stock starter.
Tod74 likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 1:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

I put a JEGS brand mini starter on my 70 Big Block 6 years ago. Spins it over easily, and hasn't let me down. I have no problems with a quality GM style high torque starter, but sometimes with headers they can get heat soaked. Not to mention the physical size should you have to remove it.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 16, 10:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

For what it is worth, tried 2 different mini-starters on my 1970 El Camino SS with a 454 and Hedman headers. The frost plug boss did not allow you to get the starter more than 1/2 inch or so from the headers, no matter how you clocked the starter. The stock starter has quite a bit more header clearance than the off-shore mini-starter, and possibly less risk of heat soak, but just to be sure I'm going to use a heat shield. I did not try all the ministarters that are available....just passing along my experience FWIW. Remember, the stock starters, although heavy and ugly, were an excellent starter and well worth rebuilding.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 16, 3:26 PM
Gold Founding Member

Perhaps a moderator will move this to "Electrical".

I've rebuilt more than my share of old-style 10-MT starters. I have a parts cabinet filled with brushes, shift-forks, bushings, leather washers, etc. I suggest the 5-roller starter drives rather than the cheaper 4-roller units supplied in "rebuild kits". Rebuild kits also don't come with the shift forks, and the shift forks are always worn. Either buy another, or weld 'n' grind the fork where it wears on the drive.

Might as well open-up the solenoid, and polish the copper disc and copper contacts, too. Don't break the phenolic cap on the solenoid.

Having said all that, as soon as it warms-up a few degrees, I'm going to drop the 10-MT on my pickup, and install a PG-260 "Delco Mini-Starter". Mine's a rebuilt Delco, not a Communist knock-off. Yes, I'll use the PG-specific knurled starter bolts. Ordinary knurled bolts don't fit the starter housing properly. And if I like the mini-starter, the 'Camino will get one, too.

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 16, 3:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

fwiw.. my 10.7:1 - 496 motor uses an autozone starter specified for a early 90's chevy pickup with 7.4 L. It is a gear reduction unit, has a lifetime warranty and is small. also use a moroso aluminum heat shield specified for a tilton type starter... absolutely no issues. the shield is slightly modified to work but much better a thermal wrap... this ol' po' boy down here has to make it happen without a lot of fluff....
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 16, 9:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
FWIW,my 1970 SS454 LS6 car has no issues with a stock,oem replacement starter.
Me too. Just rebuild your original if it needs it.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 16, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

JMHO, the reason for the PMGR starter is weight reduction and most likely made offshore too. MT-10 for me too.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

When my MT-10 started acting up when hot replaced it with a GMPP PMGR starter and never looked back. I personally don't like the mini starters with no outer pinion support, and would never use one. Lot easier on the arms installing the PMGR, and tons more clearance to the headers.

72 Chevelle SS conv
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Long long ago in a Galaxy Far Far away a 20 something Kid who just had to have "Headers" on his 396 Chevelle drove to the Super Shops in San Bernardino and bought a set of headers they had on sale. They were on the car in a couple of days and are still there as we speak. That was 1972. No heat shield and stock starter. Never had so much as a hickup. Of course those headers are rusted out and leaky as a sieve, but the point is that starter was on the car from the day the car rolled off the assembly line until the Bendix died and was only off the car for the header install before that. When I finally get to working on the old rust bucket, the headers have to come off to rebuild the control arm bushings, so maybe I will consider a heat shield to add to my 60's technology, but the original style starter will go back on after everything is back in the car. I'm all for "Reliability", and everybody needs to do whatever it takes to make it reliable. Heat Shield or Mini Starter or any combination that keeps you off the side of the road with the hood up. That my friends is the bottom line.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If the O/P is looking to get away from hot re-start type problems and also save some weight Chevy uses this type of gear reduction starter

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/260379...-1/s-l1000.jpg

on a lot of their later model cars and trucks.While it doesn't look like a gear reduction piece,if you remove the nose off one of these late models you'll find a planetary set that runs right off the starter's motor.You'll find them on 454's,4.3L V6's,Corvette 5.7L and plenty of other OE jobs.Rebuilt they run about $50-80 and are plentiful in the boneyards too.Lots of people use them and swear by them and they come in the angled bolt pattern so the fit the 168 tooth flywheels found on BB's.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 3:45 PM
Gold Founding Member

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

If the car is stock go with the original style, if it's a hot rod with high compression buy a high performance starter. On a stock engine a stock starter is fine.

72 Chevelle
70 Nova 540 ,powerglide SOLD

67 El Camino
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 16, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
The original factory 8418 (manual tranny) and 8430 (auto tranny) starters will crank any engine over easily. NEVER get rid of one of those starters or you will regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
The stock high torque starters work better and much longer than a gear reduction starter. I've never had any hot start problems with my 8418 starter. It has performed perfectly for 46 years. Why replace it with something inferior?
While I totally agree on the opinion/recommendation of the high torque starter and have 2 of my own that are on my 396 and my SB406.But on the 454+ that I'm building I'll be using the kind of starter I posted a picture of in my last post,mostly for weight savings.
But there is one thing that hasn't been discussed here,perhaps the OP, Margs21X doesn't have a high torque starter.That could possibly be the reason he is having starter problems in the first place.Finding out what he's using right now might help if he posted a picture or posted up the starter's numbers.Just a thought.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1548 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.