70 Chevelle SS radio questions. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 9:35 PM Thread Starter

70 Chevelle SS radio questions.

I am working on a 70 SS ragtop that was optioned with an original AM-8track stereo radio. I have a few questions and maybe a problem?

I bought a new Antique Automobile AM-FM Repro radio. I was checking wiring and the new radio does not plug into the original car wiring. The black connector is what is in the car's harness, the white is the radio's plug. They do not mate.

Anyone run into this before?

Also, being a convert, the rear speaker location is not very good. Has anyone had experience with Custom Autosound Undercover speakers? Will they fit under the bucket seats ok? Can you hear them ok? (better option than the factory ones shooting into the back seat?)

Finally, do you need to cut the plastic connectors off the factory speaker harness to connect speakers? (prefer not to) Or, does someone make an adapter from factory harness to aftermarket speakers? btw, I have a pair of Electro-Tech Chevelle 4x6 fronts.

Any help is appreciated!

"my wife says you cant have them all..i tell her i can try"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 9:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Send a message via AIM to forever young
Re: 70 Chevelle SS radio questions.

I have the same car and I have the original am/fm/stereo/8track player. you will have to cut ut the original plug and splice the new plug to it. fwiw, leave as much wire on the old plug and wires as you can, someone will want that original plug to make their resto original. I had to search for a few weeks to find one for my radio. good luck.

"some people spend their entire life trying to make a difference, US MARINES don't have that problem". Ronald Reagan Semper Fi
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 10:23 PM
Tech Team
Dave

It would be nice if you could find someone that makes an adapter harness that would mate both without cutting your original harness.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 4:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
It would be nice if you could find someone that makes an adapter harness that would mate both without cutting your original harness.
Besides, didn't the radio come with the other half of the connector/wiring pigtail to splice in? Check with vendor/manufacturer.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 10:56 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Well, It wouldn't be a direct splice in any case. The original plug you show has only 6 wires and the new one has 12. You are going to be running several new wires anyway. The original one appears to be for a mono radio setup.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 11:08 AM
Team Member
Mike

Just curious, is the one on the right (white) the end that goes into the radio or is it ment to plug into the wiring harness?
I ask because all the radios that I installed had raw wires that I could put whatever connector I wanted to on it.
I'm not sure if that is one on the left but when I installed an aftermarket radio in my 72 I bought all new Packard 56 connectors (like the originals) to make all wiring connections.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

The new radio should have come with a connector on the radio itself for the wires coming out of the radio. There should have been another connector supplied that would plug into that connector with short wires attached to it that will splice into power, ground, lights, speaker locations, etc. When those two connectors are connected together the corresponding wire colors should be the same. You can now use the instructions to tell you what color wire hooks into where. You could just leave the old harness and run all new wiring between the connector and everything it connects to.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppless72 View Post
Well, It wouldn't be a direct splice in any case. The original plug you show has only 6 wires and the new one has 12. You are going to be running several new wires anyway. The original one appears to be for a mono radio setup.
Not sure if original radio was actual stereo (AM-8track) I assume it was. The car does have the stereo dash pad with a speaker in both corners.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by espos1111 View Post
Just curious, is the one on the right (white) the end that goes into the radio or is it ment to plug into the wiring harness?
I ask because all the radios that I installed had raw wires that I could put whatever connector I wanted to on it.
I'm not sure if that is one on the left but when I installed an aftermarket radio in my 72 I bought all new Packard 56 connectors (like the originals) to make all wiring connections.
The white plug is on the end of the new radio wiring. I assumed it would plug into some kind of factory wiring.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

If you care about the value of your car, DO NOT cut the car's original wiring. Instead, cut up the wiring of the aftermarket radio and put on plugs that fit the original wiring. The car has value and that value increases every year. The aftermarket radio is likely Chinese made junk that depreciates in value at about the same speed as toilet paper.
Do not modify the car as that hurts the value. Modify the radio so when its time is up, you can simply throw it in the garbage and put in an original radio again with no modifications.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
The new radio should have come with a connector on the radio itself for the wires coming out of the radio. There should have been another connector supplied that would plug into that connector with short wires attached to it that will splice into power, ground, lights, speaker locations, etc. When those two connectors are connected together the corresponding wire colors should be the same. You can now use the instructions to tell you what color wire hooks into where. You could just leave the old harness and run all new wiring between the connector and everything it connects to.
The radio does have the white connector shown. The radio did not have any instruction sheet or other connectors. Guess I need to call Ecklers again, altho when I talked to them regarding speaker options, they weren't very helpful at all.

It might be better to call Antique Radio directly and get their input. I'm thinking I will make a new wiring harness and just leave the old radio harness alone.

The other "issue" is the radio specs says "45wattsx4 speakers, 4 ohm. I have a pair of Electro-tech replacement dash speakers that are rated 8-10 ohm. From what I understand, it is ok to go with a larger ohm rating on the speaker, but not the other way around?

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
If you care about the value of your car, DO NOT cut the car's original wiring. Instead, cut up the wiring of the aftermarket radio and put on plugs that fit the original wiring. The car has value and that value increases every year. The aftermarket radio is likely Chinese made junk that depreciates in value at about the same speed as toilet paper.
Do not modify the car as that hurts the value. Modify the radio so when its time is up, you can simply throw it in the garbage and put in an original radio again with no modifications.
Agreed on not cutting factory harness. Radio says made in USA, but may not mean anything. LOL

Here is link to radio...
Antique Automobile Radio, modern stereo for vintage cars

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 8:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

That's the same radio I put in my car. If you don't have the other mating white plug in connector with the wires sticking out of it that you splice into the car wiring call Antique Radio and they should supply you with one. You can also ask for a instruction sheet too. My mating white connector was missing too and they sent me one out. I pulled my old radio harness out and ran all new wiring to the front speakers. My car didn't have rear speakers at the time but I installed some with all new wiring also.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 3:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
That's the same radio I put in my car. If you don't have the other mating white plug in connector with the wires sticking out of it that you splice into the car wiring call Antique Radio and they should supply you with one. You can also ask for a instruction sheet too. My mating white connector was missing too and they sent me one out. I pulled my old radio harness out and ran all new wiring to the front speakers. My car didn't have rear speakers at the time but I installed some with all new wiring also.
Good info. I will call them and see if I can get the other side of the plug and instruction sheet.

Question..Do you have the factory stereo dashpad? What did you use for front speakers?

My next obstacle, being a ragtop, what to use for rear speakers? I looked briefly at the Autosound Undercover speakers that mount under the front bucket seats.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 16, 3:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

You can get factory type speakers here. Classic Car Speakers
Auto Electronics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1592 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.