radio repair for dummies?? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My '67 AM radio doesn't work. The light comes on and the dial and buttons work. But there is no sound. I've tried several different speakers.

I'm told the problem often is a blown transistor. Is elementary radio diagnosis and repair - finding the problem and replacing a transistor or something like that - something that a novice at radio repair can do?

Where would I find simple instructions on how to diagnose and fix the problem??
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage
northern,

I've a rudimentary knowledge of transistorized and solid state circuits (my degree is in electrical engineering) and based on my experience, I'd say "no." I'd look for a local radio repair shop with a "good old boy" who used to work on these radios (that's what I did with my '68 AM/FM) or a national shop that does this kind of work. Good luck with this.

Greg

My 68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my 68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes, it would be nice to find someone who would not charge more than the radio is worth for looking at it.
One person suggested tapping the power transistor that they say sits on a heat sink on the outside of the radio case. Apparently that sometimes results in a temporary fix??

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 12:50 PM
Tech Team
Fred

Northern396,

If you can get a schematic for it, anyone good in electronics could most likely fix it. The key would be getting a set of schematics for it. Maybe someone can tell us how we could get a schematic, as I need one also for my 69.

Fred.

Blue 1969 Chevelle SS 396 375hp 4 speed.

Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 1:26 PM
Gold Member

I did a Google search and found this place and many others.
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/Delco.htm
This is their section for Delco schematics and you use the menu to select the model. Not too sure if that model number is easy to find or not. Good luck.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 2:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

That is a good idea. But I checked their site and they do not list model 986853, the model of the '67 Chevelle AM radio. Does anyone have details on this model?
Thanks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 7:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Hey Northern,

My dad works on all kinds of radios, including old car radios. Drop me an email at [email protected]

MrSS396
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 8:01 PM
Gold Member
Joe

You don't need a schematic if you are experienced in electronics. The bottom line is, if you are not familiar, or have experience, you should NOT be attempting to repair your radio.

An open audio output transistor is quite likely, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. When it goes it can/will take the fusible emitter resistor with it as an example. You may also have bias problems in relationship to bad electrolytic capacitors which have gotten to an age where there life span has come to a useful end.

There are some preventative things that would be "caught" by a pro that would prevent future failures, so I'm sorry to say there is no "radio repair for dummies".

Not trying to be negative, just truthful.

This is coming from someone who has repaired everything from a 1948 Ford Adjust-O-Matic radio, to a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix ETR radio receiver.
427L88 and fishhead like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 1:38 PM

Hey my grandpa has a 67 Chevelle am radio too. And his is doing the same thing. He told me that those radio we’re transistors which went bad after a long period of time. He said his quit working in the 80s, and said that GM said it couldn’t be fixed.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 1:58 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: radio repair for dummies??

14 1/2 year old thread ...

When I worked in a Chevrolet parts department in 1956, one of my jobs was to take a load of non working radios to a radio shop and bring back a load of working radios.

The techs just switched them when they came into the shop.
davewho1 likes this.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 8:07 PM
Tech Team
Rick

The electrolytic capacitors usually have dried out and lose their capacitance. If its just a single cap on the board, replacing these is usually easy if you can still read the required capacitance and voltage on the part. Mouser Electronics and Digi-Key will have these piece parts for cheap - shipping will be much more than the value of the parts.

Finding the defective cap on the board is usually easy. As long as we are discussing radios WITHOUT vacuum tubes, these are all low voltage radios with little chance of electrical shock. For the radios without vacuum tubes, it is often possible to detect the bad capacitor simply by placing your finger on the leads of each capacitor on the printed side of the board - the flesh of your finger supplies a little capacitance. The sound out of the speaker will sometimes return temporarily under these conditions while your finger is in place. Note the values on the capacitor, procure it and then carefully remove the old one. Install the new one CAREFULLY noting the polarity on the side of the capacitor. Get this wrong and your new cap will get hot, bulge out and explode like a small firecracker.

The problem is the multi-value capacitors in a metal can within the radio. Those parts are tough to find that still work and have also not already dried out. These radios are scrap value to most of us at that point unless you want to send it to a true professional radio restorer. They might have the parts or are willing to do the more tedious re-design work to find modern alternative parts.

All bets are off for vacuum tube radios. Their voltages can be deadly unless you are skilled at bleeding off stored power in the capacitors that still store energy.

Rick
71350SS likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Funny, Dean's response conveyed no info. Why bother?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I have the AM radio in my 69 working nicely. I just cleaned it with good quality spray and then lubed it with good quality lube. I clipped the wire that feeds the amp with the AM radio signal and put a switch on it with a mini jack cord. I also used two 1K resisters one for each channel, on the mini jack. The switch goes from radio to input. I have a I-Pod connected to it. The sound is amazing! That old radio sounds great for what it is. I'm sure getting a strong clear signal from the I-Pod helps.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Normally when the big capacitor goes out all you get is a buzzing noise and you can replace it with any capacitor that has an equal or higher microfarad rating. The transistors are the big metal pieces attached to the chassis and the pn is written on the case.

In order to test these radios you need a power, a solid chassis ground, a known good 8-10 ohm speaker, and antenna hook up. Note that the old radios only had a positive speaker output from the radio and chassis ground served as the negative side.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 10:32 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sc View Post
Funny, Dean's response conveyed no info. Why bother?
To let people know that northern 396's radio problem was 14 1/2 years ago

So what info is in your post Kev?
Greg P and JWagner like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in