Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

69' Fuel system replacement

All,

I have a 69' Chevelle with a MJ 468 in it. I'm going with a mechanical fuel pump and already have the 3/8" fuel line run. I am looking to replace the fuel tank and sending unit as well. My questions:

Do I need to go with the 2 vent fuel tank, 2 line sending unit, and non vent cap that is year specific to the 69's?

Since I am building this from the frame up, is there a better option?

Can I run a 70' fuel tank with a vented cap and one line sending unit? I believe those didn't have the fuel tank vents that the 69' had?

I have read through a ton of threads on here and can't seem to find the answer to the questions above.

Thanks for your help.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 1:46 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 69' Fuel system replacement

Bag the mechanical fuel pump and put a electric pump on that will keep up to your engine and fuel uses. Tap the fuel pump into the oil pressure electric circuit, so that if you lose oil pressure for some reason, the fuel pump will kill the engine. If you go with the return line, put a chiller on the fuel line if you are dragging the car, otherwise, use a fuel tank with a sump in it to always have fuel to pickup and feed the engine (especially if if you are using the car for pro touring).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Ok thanks for the info. I guess I should add that this will be a 99% street car that will be used mostly to cruise in. I obviously want to avoid starving it for fuel but am looking for the best set up to not break the bank and avoid any fuel issues.

Thanks.

Doug

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 3:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I don't have an opinion on which tank would work better, but as long as the tank is vented properly and you have a good quality mechanical pump, it should work fine.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 5:25 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw1679 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I guess I should add that this will be a 99% street car that will be used mostly to cruise in. I obviously want to avoid starving it for fuel but am looking for the best set up to not break the bank and avoid any fuel issues.

Thanks.

Doug
Doug, in that case I would have left it a 327/350 cu.in. and left the money in my jeans. A 468 is strictly for bragging, not cruising. Something tells me your going to step on this engine eventually and that's why you asked the question.

You may want to look at the vacuum in this 468 because I'm sure you'll want to stop it at some point and your brakes are going to need some.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 8:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Haha I Didn't say it wasn't going to get floored every now and then! It's just being built to cruise in. I'm just looking for something that works well and that is relatively simple. Appreciate your help though!

Doug
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 9:37 AM
Team Member
Mark

If I could do it again with what's available today, I'd go with a stock style tank and the aeromotive in-tank electric pump with a return. I'd also make sure all the lines from the tank to the front are stainless or Teflon lined. The fuels today do some funky things to rubber and also can cause vapor lock issues for carbs. If funds allow, I'd go stainless for the tank or at least treat it with something like the Eastwood stuff before putting gas in it.

If you change the lines, I'd also recommend running 8AN to a regulator and 6AN to the carb. This may be a little overkill but could be helpful if you upgrade anything in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2069 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.