Inner fender dust shield - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Inner fender dust shield

Can anyone tell me there is a function to these inner fender dust field besides its intended name. Was told it helps with cooling. Is it something u should have on the car?

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 7:59 AM
Team Member
Roger

Re: Inner fender dust shield

The only time I've seen a 'dust field' around the inner fenders is when I was running down a dirt road.
Anyway, IMO the dust shields are just that. They are intended to keep dust out of the engine compartment. I don't like them and remove them as soon as they crack or tare. I like being able to see the upper control arms when I'm showing the truck.
I wouldn't put them back on the car/truck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 8:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Don't know that they would help with cooling. Newer cars have a pretty well sealed up engine compartment to help with cooling. There's so much open space in a Chevelle, don't think that little dust shield would make much difference.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Do they have a function? let me count the ways...
  • On 67 and earlier cars, Inner fenders provide additional rigidity for the fender structure, and hae a definite effect on the lower door seam alignment.
  • On all Chevelles, they protect various components from rock damage. (e.g. POA valve, blower motor, evaporator suction line, etc.)
  • They minimize the wetting of the underhood electrical and mechanicals, especially for vehicles driven on winter roads. Salt corrosion KiLLS wiring connectors!
  • They support the headlight bucket assembly area of the grille/radiator support, and are a measurable part of the strength assembly of the entire front sheet metal structural assembly.
  • They provide primary mounting support for the weight of the battery via the battery box.
  • They provide attaching points for various hoses, wiring, and the receiver drier on AC cars.
  • They reduce road noise in the passenger compartment.
  • They reduce turbulence in the wheelwell airflow and engine compartment at high speeds, and (of course)
  • they reduce dirt and dust incursion in the engine compartment.

So yeah, they have a function. GM didn't put a sticker on a car without having a functional reason.

Can you live without the above? Well, it is your car. I've done it both ways. I would never these days run one without them on MY car, but MY car has air and is a comfy cruiser, not a race car.

That's the beauty of living in America, right? You can still remove your inner fender panels and the government can't say darned thing about it!

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Oops... I see you live in Canada. I apologize for my presumption.

Not sure of the legality of removing them up there...

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
Do they have a function? let me count the ways...
  • On 67 and earlier cars, Inner fenders provide additional rigidity for the fender structure, and hae a definite effect on the lower door seam alignment.
  • On all Chevelles, they protect various components from rock damage. (e.g. POA valve, blower motor, evaporator suction line, etc.)
  • They minimize the wetting of the underhood electrical and mechanicals, especially for vehicles driven on winter roads. Salt corrosion KiLLS wiring connectors!
  • They support the headlight bucket assembly area of the grille/radiator support, and are a measurable part of the strength assembly of the entire front sheet metal structural assembly.
  • They provide primary mounting support for the weight of the battery via the battery box.
  • They provide attaching points for various hoses, wiring, and the receiver drier on AC cars.
  • They reduce road noise in the passenger compartment.
  • They reduce turbulence in the wheelwell airflow and engine compartment at high speeds, and (of course)
  • they reduce dirt and dust incursion in the engine compartment.
So yeah, they have a function. GM didn't put a sticker on a car without having a functional reason.

Can you live without the above? Well, it is your car. I've done it both ways. I would never these days run one without them on MY car, but MY car has air and is a comfy cruiser, not a race car.

That's the beauty of living in America, right? You can still remove your inner fender panels and the government can't say darned thing about it!

Hes not asking about the inner fender itself.

1971 Chevelle Triple Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VortecPro 496, 9.8:1 comp. 049 heads 2.25/1.88 valves, [email protected] Isky Hyd Roller, Eddy Air Gap, Holley HP1000, Doug's D316 Headers, Hughes TH400, ATI converter, GM 12 Bolt, 3.42 Posi, SEE DYNO VIDEO
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

He's asking about the inner fender "rubber skirts" that shield the upper a-arm. I have always wondered about how they installed them thru a steel inner fender with.... "staples". Really- staples? I have a set here now that I just cant imagine the stapler big enough to punch thru a steel inner fender. To the original post: I think thats all they were is a loose flexible "curtain" that helped keep contaimanents, water out of the engine bay. Anybody know how or what to use to staple these dudes- jeez, gonna piss off my secratary if i screw up the office stapler trying this:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dana

We used a drill bit to punch the holes then used mig wire to make our own staples. I think it was stainless wire so they won't rust but don't quote me on that

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Dana

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Pat

Same here... I purchased the kit that included staples and I used a drill to make the holes for the staples to go through.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 5:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

The "dust shield" may help keep some dust out of the engine compartment.

I suspect the main reason is to reduce the amount of water on the engine while driving in the rain.

That is not much of a problem with the trailer queens and car show princesses around now.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 10:29 PM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: Inner fender dust shield

I agree with Verle, that the shields are there to keep water from splashing into the engine compartment, possibly shorting something that could cause the car not to operate properly, causing a warranty issue that would cost Chevy some $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
He's asking about the inner fender "rubber skirts" that shield the upper a-arm. I have always wondered about how they installed them thru a steel inner fender with.... "staples". Really- staples? I have a set here now that I just cant imagine the stapler big enough to punch thru a steel inner fender.
I met a guy at Chevelle-a-bration in 2005 who worked at the Fremont or VanNuys plant who had that job. The machine was like a large punch press that would ram the hardened staples through the fender and shields and fold the staples when he stepped on a treadle. When he came to work there was a pile of inner fenders that he was to put the shields on, and when the pile was finished he was done for the day. If the job was finished before quitting time he'd go to another place in the plant and kill time until the shift was over.
This guy is "Mr64" here on Team Chevelle. He had a super-cool '64 two door wagon with a Vista Cruiser top on it. Dave hasn't been here in a while, I hope he's doing well.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

Last edited by Ark68SS; Jul 8th, 13 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2298 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.