66 chevelle body mounts - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 9:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Red face 66 chevelle body mounts

Can anyone tell me how many body mount bushings are on a 66 malibu,10 or 12?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage
Re: 66 chevelle body mounts

Convertible (12) or hardtop (10) plus the two radiator support mounts

Tom Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

I can remember 8 body mounts, then there are the 2 radiator mounts.

Restoring a 66 Chevelle SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
dude67=John C.

10 for a coupe and the other 2 if you want to install them are in front of rear wheel wells. There is a hole about 2.5 inches thru there to the body mount. I have a 67 coupe and I installed 12 ea.

67SS396 [=OO===SS===OO=] Limit all US politicians to two terms. One in office, One in prison.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 11:34 PM
Team Member
Mark

When I disassembled my 66 hardtop, there were no body mounts in the openings in front of the rear wheels. I guess it was a shortcut....not sure. Maybe my car was assembled on a Friday afternoon. When I re-assembled, I put them in.

Mark
66 Chevelle SS

AACA Senior Grand National
MCACN Gold Concours
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 2:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
dude67=John C.

Yea, I didn't have any in front of my wheels ether. I thought that it would help with flex and also to keep body correct for 1/4 replacement.

67SS396 [=OO===SS===OO=] Limit all US politicians to two terms. One in office, One in prison.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 4:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Thanks for everyones help.I guess when I bought the replacement body mount kit I just figured it would be correct.It had a diagram with it that showed where the bushings should go for a hardtop and for a convertable so thats the way I reinstalled them on my hardtop.painter said there should be 2 more.I da know??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I had 5 on each side on my coupe, plus the radiator support bushing. Didn't have one in front of the rear wheel; but when I replaced the bushings, I put one there also. So now have 6 on a side plus the radiator support.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 16, 11:12 AM

I just researched that empty slot, before the rear springs and discovered that is only populated if its a Wagon /or Pick UP, frames are pre-drilled for a variety of applications.

On 66 hardtop there are 12, 6 on each side including the radiator support. (no bushing before spring)
On 66 convertible there are 14, 7 on each side with an extra mount inner frame in back of front wheel.including the radiator support.
On 66 Wagon (never seen these) 16, 7, including the radiator support, Bushing in front of rear spring is populated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 16, 6:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

I got my body mount's from Inline Tube,I did make sure that I got the two extras that go in front of the rear wheels. Also even though the kit was advertised as having all the correct mounts it did not contain the correct mounts that go under the the door area,they are thinner than the other mounts,I had to modify the rubber cushion and reuse my original metal parts,worked out OK.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 16, 7:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
I got my body mount's from Inline Tube,I did make sure that I got the two extras that go in front of the rear wheels. Also even though the kit was advertised as having all the correct mounts it did not contain the correct mounts that go under the the door area,they are thinner than the other mounts,I had to modify the rubber cushion and reuse my original metal parts,worked out OK.
Every bushing kit I've bought or looked at fails to have the correct bushings and washers at the seat location. I even called one of the manufacturers a number of years ago and pointed it out. They claim the holes are ALL the same size and I just had an odd frame, or not original.
So much for wanting to supply the right parts...

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.42 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1270 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.