Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ericnova72
  • 1 Post By Ace141

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 6:37 PM Thread Starter

Interchangeable parts for 1968 Chevelle

Hello! I am new here and have been searching everywhere to find out which parts are interchangeable between a 1968 Malibu Hardtop and a 1968 300 Deluxe pillar car. We are about to start restoring the Malibu and would like to use as many parts as possible from the 300 Deluxe if things are interchangeable. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated! 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 9:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Re: Interchangeable parts for 1968 Chevelle

Steering wheel is 300 Deluxe specific, as well as rocker moldings, eyebrow moldings on fenders, rear bumper, door panels, rubber flooring. Most other parts are the same as Malibu. Terry
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Terry! I was trying to find out if the door windows are the same too, I think I found that the vent window will work, and I know the quarter window won’t work

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 3:29 AM
Tech Team
Eric

Anything specific to the pillared sedan roofline and doors won't interchange...door, door glass, wing vent, rear quarter window, door weatherstrip are all different.....this as all due to the door having a frame around the glass, rather than a hardtop where the glass seals to the body at the top and the hardtop glass trim w/rubber at the back edge, that is attached to the rear quarter window.

Door shell itself is more than likely interchangeable, once you cut the side glass frame off, might require a little hand rework where the glass comes out through the top of the door skin. window regulator parts are likely different.

Just about everything else on the car will interchange....there may be some minor style differences in trim levels, but it will all bolt up.....entire front clip from firewall forward, entire back half of the car except rear quarter glass and sedan pillar., just about everything interior trim and dash, including seats and headliner and front/back glass.
68-13427 likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

So you are parting out a '68 300 2-door sedan?.....

Been looking for one of those for a while now to build into an L79 car.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of the information! I have spent so much time searching and couldn’t find much information about it online. Augy our 300 deluxe has a ton of rust, there are holes in the floor and the doors so that why we are using that one as the parts car. We are located in Saskatchewan, Canada so the extra stuff we can’t use will be available once we are done 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C14D1CF5-1AB3-4B05-9188-C644B91CA6B7_1596296836130.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	634906  
Attached Images

68-13427 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace141 View Post
We are located in Saskatchewan, Canada so the extra stuff we can’t use will be available once we are done 😊
Just curious, where in Saskatchewan?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 3:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Just curious, where in Saskatchewan?
looks like just North of you...

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 8:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
looks like just North of you...
Hey, you're right.....

Actually looking for name of city he's from in Saskatchewan, which is kinda north of MN.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 3:54 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I didn’t see that you were replying until now. Saskatchewan is a province in Canada so we live in the northern part 😊
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 3:56 PM Thread Starter

I was going to ask as well, does anybody know if we could use the glass from a 1969 chevelle for the doors on a 68 Malibu? I like the looks of the full glass better then having the vent window
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Ace,
One additional thing to be aware of.
The tail light housings, tail light lenses and rear bumpers are TOTALLY different between Malibu and 300 models.

The Malibu and 300 tail housings are completely different because thay have different light bulb sockets and lenses.
The Malibu tail light lens is full length. Thus, just ONE light bulb and socket.
The red portion of the 300 tail light lens is shorter because the backup light socket and bulb are in a second hole in the housing and the backup lens is adjacent to the red lens.
That's why the housings and lenses are completely different.

The rear bumpers are different, because the Malibu bumper has two rectangle openings for backup lights.
The 300 bumper does not have the openings for backup lights, because they are incorporated in the tail light housings.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 7:42 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace141 View Post
I was going to ask as well, does anybody know if we could use the glass from a 1969 chevelle for the doors on a 68 Malibu? I like the looks of the full glass better then having the vent window
I went the other way, '68 wing vent and parts into '69 doors many years ago, from what I remember it was just adding a couple screw holes, the door frame and skin was the same shape.

You may have to check and add some window trim holes where the vent wing was, for the outer window felt trim strips

Basically comes down to pull the inner door panel off, and inspect for differences....may not work putting newer year stuff in older doors but I know it works putting older stuff in newer doors.

I did the same thing with a '72 Nova, I used a full glass '74 door shell and transferred the wing vent and glass hardware and window regulator over from the '72 door into the '74 door and put it on my '72 Nova.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 20, 4:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you DZauto! We actually have a good bumper and tail lights from the Malibu so we won’t have to switch them but thanks for the info!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 20, 4:34 AM Thread Starter

Ericnova72 we ended up taking a look at the doors today now that everything has been removed and after looking at the way they are built I don’t think we will be able to go with the full window since towards the front of the door there is a metal brace where the vent window would be. Not sure if we could cut it out or would have to switch to a 69 door instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in