Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Chasing rattles, knocks and creaks

I have got a few super minor creaks and bumping noises I just cannot locate.
A slow speed squeak that seems to be coming from the rear drivers side. Definitely rotational and speed related
A slight knock of something hitting something when I hit a bump.
A very slight but consistent rattle, almost a buzz from the front somewhere.
I have raised the car on my lift and shook, smacked the tires with dead low hammers, pulled, pushed everything and I just can’t find the sources.
I have been over it with a fine tooth comb looking for signs of contact between metals, re-lubed all the fittings, retorqued all the nuts and bolts I could find. I’m running out of ideas and they are driving me bat-sheet crazy.
Any tricks?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 12:43 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: Chasing rattles, knocks and creaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
A slow speed squeak that seems to be coming from the rear drivers side. Definitely rotational and speed related
I have raised the car on my lift and shook, smacked the tires with dead low hammers, pulled, pushed everything and I just can’t find the sources.
I have been over it with a fine tooth comb looking for signs of contact between metals, re-lubed all the fittings, retorqued all the nuts and bolts I could find. I’m running out of ideas and they are driving me bat-sheet crazy.
Any tricks?
With my frame off restoration I had to torque down to spec my front and rear upper and lower control arms twice. Noises are gone.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 6:12 PM
Tech Team
John

If you trust someone else to drive, you can ride front or back and listen and feel for noises. Hard to do by yourself.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 7:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Any tricks?
The slow speed rotational squeak, possible u-joint. The clunk, possibly a worn control arm bushing. At what speed do you hear the rattle or buzz? Terry
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 9:10 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

What about your windows? Easy way to tell is to go for a drive on a bumpy road with the windows up. If any of your rattles go away, then that tells you the glass is rattling around when the windows are rolled down. Mine did this and it drove me absolutely crazy, luckily it's pretty easy to adjust all the stops with the door panels removed.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 9:21 AM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I'd maybe check shocks...maybe got a dead one on one of the corners. Also, check the control arm bushings where they contact the inside of the mount..rubber on metal makes a squeak. Spring to spring pocket? metal on metal...maybe....unless you used isolators. Could even be an axle or wheel bearing that's loose or dry.
When I raced, it was a common practice of mine to bounce the car before I left my shop, just pushing up and down on front, then the rear...any squeak meant something was dry....be amazed how many hrs I've spent chasing a squeak. As a dirt car, it got washed and lubed after each race night, but washing them can make things rust and get dry and tight. Wish I'd had a lift like you, woulda make life easier back then.
Good luck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Thanks for the replies.
I have checked and retorqued everything I could find.
I haven’t ridden as a passenger but I will. I don’t really care who drives it; it’s a driver.
I didn’t think of the joint. It’s new but I’ll check it. All of the control arm bushings are new. The front end vibration is most noticeable going slow. I’ve tried everything to reproduce it from slapping it around with my hand to beating on the ire’s with a dead blow hammer.
I’ll try the windows up and down although it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the doors. But you never know.
The shocks and springs are all new. No isolators. All new bushings with zero fittings. I’ll check the shocks. You never know. The slow speed rotational squeak could be a bearing. I put new ones in the axle ends but again, you never know.
I do also have a slight gear whine when you let off the throttle that I’m going to have to deal with.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 11:13 AM
Tech Team
Al

My front inner fender wells somehow were not tight. I had it all apart for painting and apparently did not tighten them properly. Drove me nuts looking for it the rattle. I finally was able to duplicate and hear it while in my garage. Once I found it the fix was easy. Take them one at a time... Al
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

My 69 el Camino is a quiet as a funeral limo according to my brother the gear head perfectionist..

One of the many features of the el Camino is its quiet ride. I like the sedan doors because the windows and doors stay nice and tight. The big frame also keeps things tight and quiet..

When I spray my cars down with spray grease for the first time they become so quiet after words.. I spray the inner fenders and doors, under the car, inside the frame making sure not to spray the rubber bushings.

Tighten all those little Philips head screws in the interior..

Exhaust systems make the most noise. I have mine tight.

Gas tanks can make a lot of noise is not properly fastened and the straps are not taking equal pressure..

Use 3/8" nuts and bolts for inner fenders.

Two of the most influential bolts when it comes to noise are the radiator support. Every car I ever bought usually had rotted bushings and loose bolts. This makes the whole front end squeak..

Sway bar bushings and links need to be greased and tightened but not too tight. I use Poly there..

Check the two bolts that hold the upper control arms on where the shims are. These usually are loose.. I've all ready measured the shims and replaced them with washers of the same size or a touch thicker in the front and thinner in the rear, this will add positive caster.

Last edited by hydro462; Jul 16th, 20 at 11:43 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 1:44 PM
Tech Team
Andreas

Garage

Hello.

Maybe it's something simple.
I had ist once...
Do you checked the Brake Pads, if they are loose in the caliper, you can hear a rattling Noise from the Front when you hit bumps.

little Video of my Chevelle Resto:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 20, 5:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

As mentioned, front inner fenders and radiator supports can make a lot of noise. There may be missing fasters or trim screws. I had a buddy with a 69 Camaro that made a lot of buzzing and vibration noise in the front. Everything was tight, that was there. He bought a new front end hardware kit and discovered how many fasteners were missing or wrong. The car got significantly quieter with the new hardware kit and everything in place.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 20, 7:20 PM
Tech Team
Tyler

I was going to suggest looking at the brakes too. If you have drum on the rear not uncommon to break a spring or have the backing plate just touching the drum, that would be about 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of a u-joint squeak. You can ride the brakes and see if the rattle goes away, that’s usually how in determin if it’s a pad rattling. Good luck with it! My OCD hates that kind of stuff too!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 20, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Today I loosened all of the suspension points, set it back down and retightened everything. I then re-lubed every zerk fitting I could find, front and rear.
So the rear of the rear upper control arms where attach to the rear end don’t have grease fittings. I guess I will get some spray grease and hit those as best I can.
I found a bumper bolt lying inside the frame rail. It must have been an old one because there were none missing. It was beat from rolling around.
I think my e-brake cable might have been rattling on an exhaust pipe.
I then loosened and retightened all of the body mount bolts.
I did not get a chance to drive it after this because my neutral safety switch fell apart, literally.
I think I’m going to find someone to TIG the upper fan support brackets to the radiator top cover. That could potentially eliminate a vibration.
My window felts, which are new, are not super tight against the glass so next thing will be to adjust the glass/felt/rubber. The doors are already Dynomatted and sound pretty darn solid. Rear quarters same story.
Dash area is pretty rock solid because I have no glove box, ash tray, gauges and just a fake radio face.
Still chasing...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 20, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

At certain lower engine speeds i can get an occasional resonant rattle up front, its the inner fenders. Do you have the rubber gasket on there? That took care of it.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 20, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
At certain lower engine speeds i can get an occasional resonant rattle up front, its the inner fenders. Do you have the rubber gasket on there? That took care of it.
When I bang on the inner fenders from the engine compartment there is some resonance. What “gasket” are you talking about?
I have the rubber flaps at the control arms but don’t think I have any other gaskets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in